Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural broadband options westnet??

Options
  • 05-01-2010 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Happy new year to all!

I have a few questions regarding Westnet's fixed wireless BB.
    The main usage will be from light web brousing and online gaming.
    Ping is very important for most online games and i was wondering what i could expect if i were to go ahead give westnet a call and get it installed.

According to their website they say it is suitable for online gaming but i would like to hear from people that actually have it installed and if they could recommend westnet for online gaming.

Fixed line is not available in my area and probably will not be available for years to come, i gave Westnet a call before xmas and found out their nearest reciever is about 1/2 mile away, in fact i can pretty much see it from my house so i don't think LOS will be a problem.

Also they offer a 1/256mb and 2/564 package, which one could you recommend?

Last question, are there any other providers in the Mayo area that could be an alternative to Westnet??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 fonzy1

Justa little thread bump, only got about a week left of current mobile device, i don't want to start a "new month".

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

i've been using westnet for around six months now and i know the frustration mobile broadband can cause,i'd really recommend westnet (although i can get quite bad ping when it's snowing) and the speed are also very reliable unlike mobile bb i get constant 1-1.5 Mgbs here are some pings from just a second ago.
    Pinging samhain.heanet.ie [193.1.219.57] with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=56
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=56
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=56
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 193.1.219.57:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 23ms

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

fonzy1 wrote: »
    Also they offer a 1/256mb and 2/564 package, which one could you recommend?
    Um. Actually, we offer 1/0.5M and 2/1M packages. Just FYI.

1 meg is fine for gaming but double the speed for a tenner is a great price.
    edit:ping is being a bit unreasonable atm averaging 200ms for the last hour :(

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Hey fonzy,

I would definately reccomend westnet!
    Ive been with them for about 3 or or 4 years nearly its very stable e.g. never ever drops.
    You can even get rid of your phone if you really wanted to and get an IP phone or just use Skype.

Below are my results I took back in October i had sent on too mates of mine whom are on 9Mb Magnet and UTV connections in Dublin they were surprised to say the least!! hehe on the same servers they got 45 - 65 :eek:

FWA is better for gaming if its done from the right ISP! ;)

:cool:
    http://www.pingtest.net/result/1201591.png

Im about 3.5 miles from Cbar i could get 1Mb DSL but I have 2Mb Westnet connection and its definately stable and very responsive for gaming

For PC gaming it is normally in between 30 - 40 but very stable.

@Paul I know there is a huge cost but any plans at all for Wimax 4G?
    and 4Mb or 8Mb+ packages?

Best regards,
    Nick

• Advertisement

does anyone know what affects ping because mine has been pretty terrible during the afternoon for a few days now
    8261523.png
    but is always perfect at night ?

@Paul I know there is a huge cost but any plans at all for Wimax 4G?
    Sounds more like a marketing term than a technology. :)

There are two types of WiMAX technology available at the moment: fixed and mobile. We're using the fixed type, which we think is the only sane way to deliver broadband at 3.5GHz. Others are using mobile. We don't plan to - 3.5GHz doesn't do mobile very well.
    ...and 4Mb or 8Mb+ packages?
    Not anytime soon. We'd rather do what we're doing and try to do it well, than push big speeds that most people don't need or want and do it badly.
    liamnojo92 wrote: »
    does anyone know what affects ping because mine has been pretty terrible during the afternoon for a few days now
    8261523.png
    but is always perfect at night ?
    Can you PM me your details? I'll look into it for you.

Thanks for your replies.
    I've heard and read loads of good reviews from Westnet customers i just wanted to get an idea of the sort of ping times i could expect with this service,
    The above poster with linked speedtest, thanks for that, that's a good result and i would say it's equal if not better than what a lot of people get from DSL

8310761.png
    ping atm is better but it is the middle of the night :D

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    8310761.png
    ping atm is better but it is the middle of the night :D

Thanks for that, could you ping a server in the U.K. and one in the U.S. if it's not too much bother, thanks in advance:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nikon1000

If one has Westnet 1mb and wants to upgrade to Westnet 2mb, can it be upgraded remotely or do you need an engineer to do a home visit?

nikon1000 wrote: »
    If one has Westnet 1mb and wants to upgrade to Westnet 2mb, can it be upgraded remotely or do you need an engineer to do a home visit?
    It can be upgraded remotely, it's just a configuration change at the base station.

Got my connection in last week and i'm very happy with the low latency and stable speeds.

I am experiencing a slight problem though, when i play xbox live i get randomly disconnected, it can happen every 10 minutes or sometimes it will go for a few hours without disconnecting.
    I can re-connect straight away, now i've tried with and without a router makes no difference.

I'm not sure how much this affects my disconnecting but i ran a few ping tests and it reported packet loss, sometimes none at all and at worst 4% average packets sent 300.
    Would this be enough to disconnect me from xbox live??

I have'nt totally ruled out an xbox hardware issue but i'd just like to check things over on my connection before i shell out 300 quid on another xbox.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thread bump :)

Could this have anything to do with how i'm assigned an IP address??
    I think i have a dynamic IP so is it possible that i'm being given a new IP address during a session which would cause me to disconnect??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Hi,
    Sorry I'm asking more questions rather than answering yours... do you mind me asking whereabouts in Mayo you are? I'm looking into a Westnest connection, and according to the coverage map the house would be quite close to the edge of coverage, so I'm not sure how much that would affect it.
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Great broadband service, had it for a few years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 callow

I have been with Westnet for 5 years and since Christmas the service has been dreadful, many times no service at all.

To download a 800mb movie takes 2 days.

They won't reply to emails or calls and I am totally fed up with them.

Anybody else having problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

fonzy1 wrote: »
    I am experiencing a slight problem though, when i play xbox live i get randomly disconnected, it can happen every 10 minutes or sometimes it will go for a few hours without disconnecting.
    I can re-connect straight away, now i've tried with and without a router makes no difference.

No, the dynamic IP doesn't change that often, so it's definatly not the cause.

Xbox is not running of central servers. The games itself are hosted by one of the gamers that you are playing against (on his xbox). So you never know, what your latency to them will be and funny things can happen.

Disconnects like that can also be caused by your own router. I've seen examples of a bug in the way the firewalling was implemented in DD-WRT, that caused hourly disconnects on all connections (for example vpn. etc.)

/M

callow wrote: »
    I have been with Westnet for 5 years and since Christmas the service has been dreadful, many times no service at all.

To download a 800mb movie takes 2 days.

They won't reply to emails or calls and I am totally fed up with them.

Anybody else having problems?
    Hi - can you PM me your details and I'll look into it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

Im also experiencing very poor service from Westnet. The service regularly drops out and even when it is working it can be extremely slow at times.

For some reason, the service is considerably worse when I use my I phone
    ( I have a wireless router and I use laptop and I phone)

I dont think I have ever managed to watch a youtube clip on the iphone due to extremely slow loading speeds ( even when it will load at a reasonable speed on the laptop)

It's a complete waste of money to be honest. I have PMed the guy on this forum last week but have not received a reply

• Advertisement

Im also experiencing very poor service from Westnet. The service regularly drops out and even when it is working it can be extremely slow at times.

I dont think I have ever managed to watch a youtube clip on the iphone due to extremely slow loading speeds ( even when it will load at a reasonable speed on the laptop)

It's a complete waste of money to be honest. I have PMed the guy on this forum last week but have not received a reply
    I missed the notification of that message for some reason.

I've had a quick look, and your signal looks perfect. I'll get tech support to give you a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭chebonaparte

im with regional broadband

they are reasonable as only 24£euro month after install fee

originally i was with 3broadband was £20 pm but if u go over 15gb limit they screw you !

i got 1 bill over 200£Euro 1month after i started using the Skype cams!

Regional way cheaper and no limits

however lately they keep going "local"

i think they are swamped with lots new customers and they are updating the old boxes hoepfully this shoud fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

UPDATE

An update on the situation. I have to say, Westnet have been extremely helpful since thier representative here noted my problem.

First off, the i-phone problem had nothing to do with Westnet. After hours of trawling the internet I figured out that it is a router configuration issue. After I realised that, I spent ages trying to access the config menu of my router. (with no success)

In the meantime, the Westnet guy called me and offered to look at our reception aerial and he also sorted us with a new linksys router.

The new router has sorted the Iphone issue immediately so a big Thank you for that.

With regards to the inconsistency of the signal, well it's been pretty much perfect since I posted the complaint on here. (demonstration effect in reverse). I suppose I cant expect any further investigation while the performance is as it should be!

Anyways, Thanks for help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Just wanted to add that I'm very happy with the WestNet service, had it for a few months now and no problems yet. Obviously streaming videos or whatever can slow things down a bit, but it has been very reliable so far.

I Seem to be having more problems again especially in the evening with loads of dropped packets, It seems everytime they try and fix something a new problem arises, I will probably call them tomorrow hopefully i'll have more success then usual and get a reply from one of the engineers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

Do westnet throttle downloading, I know its unlimited but realistically how many Gb is it. I'm on a 1Mb package if I go to 2Mb will my downloading speed increase 2x im at about 120kb/s max. Do westnet have any plans in increasing packages to 8Mb/24Mb

I've never had any throttling of my connection and i do quite a lot of streaming off sky player and gaming so i'd imigane the only way you would see throttling is if you constantly downloading huge files and abusing the service.

Do westnet throttle downloading, I know its unlimited but realistically how many Gb is it.
    We don't throttle downloads, but we have been known to have a word with people who continuously download at full speed 24x7.
    I'm on a 1Mb package if I go to 2Mb will my downloading speed increase 2x im at about 120kb/s max.
    Yes, you should see double the download speed on the 2Mb package.
    Do westnet have any plans in increasing packages to 8Mb/24Mb
    Not anytime soon, I'm afraid.

Is anyone elses internet gone today, I'm losing like 35% of packets i had the same problem when they were doing upgrades earlier in the year so hopefully that's what's happening now.If you could get back to me paul and tell me what's going on that would be great.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a problem with one of our fibre uplinks. We've agreed a maintenance window after midnight tonight for the fibre operator to do some loopback testing - hopefully we'll have some more info once they've completed the testing.

I'll see if we can do anything about the flakey connection in the meantime. We might have to confine all traffic to our alternative fibre link for the moment, but that could mean some temporary congestion.

Advertisement