Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural broadband options westnet??

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

So anybody else having problems later?
    My connection seems to be dropping, losing connection for what could be an hour at a time, this has only happened twice but it shouldn't happen.

Also getting very large ping spikes, usually sticks below 100 but it often jumps up to over a 1000 which gets really annoying as it kicks me from games for having a ping so high.

Any fixes/suggestions? More so towards the ping problem.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Hi - have you reported a fault? If you PM me your details I'll have a look for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Hey Guys

Moving to Achill soon and looking at b/band options.

Read a lot of variable comments in this thread about WestNet. Whats the lastest? Good / bad / indifferent?

Won't be gaming but will want to use iPlayer etc and need a reliable connection to run (not host)my online business.

Cheers

Max

• Registered Users Posts: 8 accony

Just posted this on another Westnet thread.

"No internet access from Saturday evening at 8pm until Tuesday 11am.

Even now it's like a set of traffic lights, on and then off, on then off, on then off. I'd hate to trying to run a business with this sort of rubbish connection."

accony wrote: »
    Just posted this on another Westnet thread.

"No internet access from Saturday evening at 8pm until Tuesday 11am.

Even now it's like a set of traffic lights, on and then off, on then off, on then off. I'd hate to trying to run a business with this sort of rubbish connection."
    Again, have you reported a fault?

• Advertisement

Again, have you reported a fault?

Erm no!

http://www.westnet.ie/contact-us-mainmenu-37

http://www.westnet.ie/help-centre-mainmenu-27/report-a-fault-mainmenu-20

One blank page and one error page.

I'll ask the bill payer to see if he can report a fault, but I'll not hold my breath.

accony wrote: »
    Yeah, the website's in the process of being revamped.
    I'll ask the bill payer to see if he can report a fault, but I'll not hold my breath.
    Why not?

If you PM me your IP address and contact details, I'll get someone to have a look.

Paul, I think I have the problem solved.

The house I'm in has a new connection via the Clare Island link [I'm on the mainland]. I've had no permanent internet access since Friday evening and it was still on and off like a whores knickers before the total loss.

I have an external "booster" aerial that I have now plugged in and can now connect via the other property on this site [with permission]. The connection from this property is via a mainland link.

So it looks like the receiving antenna needs pointing to the mainland link to get a decent connection.

The fault has been reported to Westnet and they are said to be monitoring the situation. Well they need to monitor no more, they just need to send someone out to re-align the aerial if that's possible.

Ah, I know where you are now. There was a reason that Clare Island was used for that connection in the first place; there was a problem linking it to the mainland. We'll figure something out.

Ah, I know where you are now. There was a reason that Clare Island was used for that connection in the first place; there was a problem linking it to the mainland. We'll figure something out.

Figured anything out yet Paul? Still struggling for a continuous connection

• Advertisement

Connection has been rubbish lately.

2508702772.png

Getting ping spikes up to 5000, download speed is averaging 100KB/s, ringing them does no good, if it wasn't for the fact that I can't get anything else in my area we'd have left.

We've moved you to a new transmitter, which should alleviate some local interference issues.

That said, problems can be exacerbated by issues on your home network. Using a DSL router as a wireless AP on a non-DSL connection is less than ideal, and wiring a toggle switch into a patch cable can have all sorts of subtle side effects. We replaced that patch lead; I'm not sure what the switch was for, but it can be better achieved by just plugging the cable out.

For those who are interested: there's a temptation to think of Ethernet cabling as working the same way as electrical wiring, because it's all copper wire. This misses the point that an Ethernet cable isn't carrying power, but rather radio frequency signals in the form of tiny and rapidly varying electrical currents. The twists in twisted pair cable are carefully designed to prevent crosstalk and interference. Even if the conductors in a Cat5 cable are properly joined in a way that gives continuity end-to-end (which will show up as perfectly fine on a cheap cable tester, which can only measure continuity), the loss of correct twisting can lead to subtle errors requiring re-transmissions, which can ultimately show up as higher ping times and even packet loss.

We've moved you to a new transmitter, which should alleviate some local interference issues.

That said, problems can be exacerbated by issues on your home network. Using a DSL router as a wireless AP on a non-DSL connection is less than ideal, and wiring a toggle switch into a patch cable can have all sorts of subtle side effects. We replaced that patch lead; I'm not sure what the switch was for, but it can be better achieved by just plugging the cable out.

For those who are interested: there's a temptation to think of Ethernet cabling as working the same way as electrical wiring, because it's all copper wire. This misses the point that an Ethernet cable isn't carrying power, but rather radio frequency signals in the form of tiny and rapidly varying electrical currents. The twists in twisted pair cable are carefully designed to prevent crosstalk and interference. Even if the conductors in a Cat5 cable are properly joined in a way that gives continuity end-to-end (which will show up as perfectly fine on a cheap cable tester, which can only measure continuity), the loss of correct twisting can lead to subtle errors requiring re-transmissions, which can ultimately show up as higher ping times and even packet loss.

Could you recommend a good router to use so?

The main problem was with the connection itself though and not the router or the toggle switch as even when the pc was directly connected to the modem it still was getting the same results.

All seems back to normal now though, thanks.

Back in the West again and I'm pleased to say the Westnet service here is much improved:):cool:

Whatever has been done seems to have worked so well done Westnet.

Colin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

To the representative ,im looking to get this in,is it available in Doohoma. I can see achill island directly across from my house if that helps?

Probably. We definitely have some customers over that direction. Best bet is to call the office on 094 906 7444 and we'll check it out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Probably. We definitely have some customers over that direction. Best bet is to call the office on 094 906 7444 and we'll check it out for you.

Yep I will do tomorrow morning !

To the other posters how is the service now?

Advertisement