Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you "open up" a Netopia router?

Options
  • 05-01-2010 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭

Was trying to connect to someone else for a Spec Ops in MW2, but no joy. This is not a new problem: when I first got Dawn of War, no two people with a Netopia router could connect to the same match. Luckily in MW2, once the hoster doesn't have a Netopia router, everyone else can join.

So, I was wondering does anyone know how you can "open up" a Netopia router, so that two people with a Netopia router could join the same game?

Monies tight after crimbo so "get a new router" won't work, and I'm hoping someone here may have found a way around it.

Have a 2247NWG if it makes a difference, but previous Netopia routers had the same problem.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You mean open up the ports ??

For netopia its 192.168.1.254

Expert mode -- > Configure --> Advanced --> NAT

And you should be able to add Call of Duty or whatever there yourself, aswell as custom ports

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Netopia only allow ports for one IP to be opened at one time ie 192.168.1.2 and port 2 cant eb an active rule for 2 Ips, off hand i dont know of a way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You mean open up the ports ??
    No. They're all opened, and my NAT would be seen as "open" in the game. But even with both having the NAT as "open", we still can't connect to each other, if both using Netopia routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

the_syco wrote: »
    No. They're all opened, and my NAT would be seen as "open" in the game. But even with both having the NAT as "open", we still can't connect to each other, if both using Netopia routers.

Normally you could suggest hamachi
    https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi2/download.aspx
    And run the game as a LAN game....

Can you do this under MW2 or do you still have to use their lame P2P setup?

uberpixie wrote: »
    Normally you could suggest hamachi
    https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi2/download.aspx
    And run the game as a LAN game....

Can you do this under MW2 or do you still have to use their lame P2P setup?
    It's all though Steam :( so yeah, no Hamachi. Saying that, I think we had problems with Hamachi and Netopia routers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Can you run steam in offline mode and use hamachi ?

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Can you run steam in offline mode and use hamachi ?
    Not sure. I'll try that, though. Looking to do the Spec-Ops with a mate over the net.

Sorry mis read thread, are you in the same house on the router?

If not someone does have the ports open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Just turn off the fire wall when your playing the game.

Ive a netopia router and even though it says the ports are open it still blocks them.

I also had the same problem as you, not being able to connect to a specific person if he hosted a game but could connect if someone else hosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

no two people with a Netopia router could connect to the same match.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense. The type of router shouldn't matter. Are you saying if someone in Africa hosts a game with a netopia router you won't be able to join it???

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Sorry mis read thread, are you in the same house on the router?
    Different houses, same router type.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    If not someone does have the ports open.
    All ports are open.
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this makes no sense. The type of router shouldn't matter. Are you saying if someone in Africa hosts a game with a netopia router you won't be able to join it???
    Correct. I'm in Kildare, he's in Cork. We both have Netopia routers. It doesn't matter where he is. We've had the same problem with people in different parts of the country, with the same problem. One person got a new (non-Netopia) router, and problem was solved. Thus, it's the router and not the ISP that is the problem.

Sense it truely does not make.

One person got a new (non-Netopia) router, and problem was solved. Thus, it's the router and not the ISP that is the problem.

Sense it truely does not make.

They are not open, i would bet the problem is that someone opened a port for 192.168.1.2 and then rebooted and got 192.168.1.3 as an IP from the router and the port is still "open" but for 192.168.1.2.

Assign an Ip in your network card preferably 192.168.1.2 :)

Advertisement