Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter tyres

Options
  • 05-01-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Will winter tyres become compulsary in Ireland? They are great to use in the bad weather and are already compulsary in other Eurozone areas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

No too many people think its not worth it.. ---> :D:D and whats the point of having them on when we only get a couple of days of "real" winter.... ---> :D:D

I have a set on, I'll stop this stupid grinning now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

What's different about winter tyres ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

This has been discussed to death here.. do a search on the forum for the answers. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the grip more at lower temps, usually < 7C. all season/summer tyres grip less and less as it gets colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Can studded Winter tyres be bought in Ireland?

I would like a set for my two cars, both 205/66 16's ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

On one hand, I couldn't see it as a massive earner for the government so probably won't become compulsory....

But if it will reduce the need to remove sand from beaches to prevent some accidents/deaths on the road, then you can be sure Na Glasrai will be ramming em down our throats.

The beaches, won't somebody think of the beaches...

techie wrote: »

they would be pretty full on snow tyres, not std winter tyres and pretty sure you won't find them in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

This has been discussed to death here.. do a search on the forum for the answers. :)

I did and I didn't find it

Thanks for nothing

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

After sliding my way in and out of work yesterday and today, had a look for them on the net. Eiretyres.com have them and they are not as expensive as I would have thought. Must get a set next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

langdang wrote: »
    On one hand, I couldn't see it as a massive earner for the government so probably won't become compulsory....

But if it will reduce the need to remove sand from beaches to prevent some accidents/deaths on the road, then you can be sure Na Glasrai will be ramming em down our throats.

The beaches, won't somebody think of the beaches...

They don't use sand they use rock salt, from NI or Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

techie wrote: »

You would be better off getting a set of steel 14" wheels and putting them on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Do a google search for Snow Socks - cheaper alternative than full set of winter tyres (besides without a garage where you gonna store them between winters?) just carry then round in the boot until they are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

- softer compound, grips better in colder temperatures (regardless of surface) wears quicker in hot temperatures

- different thread pattern, designed to disperse water, slush and snow. Can be noisier and and slightly less grippy in the dry than summer tyres.

- lots of little lamellas in the thread for better grip in snow. These can/may make the tyre somewhat spongier in corners in the dry

There are massive differences between snow tyres, some are better in the wet, some a best in snow only, some are just plain useless. I'd strongly recommend reading up on some test results before deciding for one particular tyre. For Ireland you'd want a tyre that is good enough on snow and ice but really good in the wet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

CJhaughey wrote: »
    They don't use sand they use rock salt, from NI or Spain.
    Correct, hence the recent shortage of anything resembling gritting material... ... ... ... ... ... ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

copacetic wrote: »
    the grip more at lower temps, usually < 7C. all season/summer tyres grip less and less as it gets colder.

Look at the All Season Car crash and burn on the corner at 1:55!
    didnt actually burn

Would have loved to see them compare to Summers, but IMO All Seasons are completely crap in Winter anyhow and almost on par with Summers for crapiness.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Look at the All Season Car crash and burn on the corner at 1:55!
    didnt actually burn

Would have loved to see them compare to Summers, but IMO All Seasons are completely crap in Winter anyhow and almost on par with Summers for crapiness.

thats probably the key one for how people would drive here, they may expect to be slow off the blocks and have trouble stopping but posibly not the total loss of traction halfway round a corner.

I did and I didn't find it

Thanks for nothing

Jezz the search is full of loads of threads about this.. and I thought you were being pedantic!

Winter tyres work great under 7 degrees where summer tyres lose their pliability at 7. Depending on which make and model they can be very good in our environment not just snow, I have found them amazing where I live, but that could also be down to the fact I've dropped a couple of inches in wheel size..

I've been talking about getting them for years now and after the snow in FEB last year and being unable to get out of my estate decided they are essential for me.. So now I've a set of 18 inch BBS with a set of eagle F1's ( worn ;) ) and a set of winter 16 inch. I'm considering leaving the 16s on and just changing the tyres in April/March..

Just to add to this, I've over 15 cm of snow in my area and they just plough through the snow..slush.. and the hill into my estate is suitable for bobsledging.. no one else in a FWD car can get into or out of my estate, so they do work.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gillen

Been looking at those snow socks, they slip over the driving wheels of the car, €70 or so for a pair, has anyone got these? If so what are they like? What distances could you use them for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

I think that when you have conditions like we had last Winter and if you have a crash and are found with Summer rated tyres your insurance company should slate you.

Anyone who drives on a Summer rated tyre in the conditions we are having this weekend and stand by those tyres are, in my opinion ignorant of what could happen when they need to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 aror82

Have you seen what is outside just right now, white everywhere, i wouldn't drive out now on my summer tyres,
    I need to get winter tyres, great prices on camskill.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

They are great to use in the bad weather and are already compulsary in other Eurozone areas.

Which ones would they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

CiniO wrote: »
    Which ones would they be?

Although it's in response to a 10 month old statement...
    Sweden (for Swedish nationals), Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Norway (for Norwegian registered cars), Slovakia, Sloenia and also Bavaria in Germany.

Edit*
    Here's a link or 2.
    The second one also states that Austria and Switzerland now have a window of mandatory use of winter tyres.

http://www.rhinocarhire.com/Drive-Smart-Blog/Winter-Tyres-When-to-use-them.aspx
    http://www.etyres.co.uk/winter-tyres-law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

is snow sock any good compared to winter tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Short answer is NO !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I'm ordering a set for each of my cars as soon as I get home.

I picked up a rental in Germany yesterday, they didn't give me the option for winter tyres, it being a legal requirement here I assumed ( :( ) this was taken care off. It was not.

Flying down the A7 was no problem, but then I had to get off the motorway... That's when the problems started. Suffice it to say, the car has been sitting on the side of some crappy little road in the arse end of Germany since 9pm last night. It was unmovable up even the slightest gradient.

All the while, every other car flew past me as if they were on a dry road. All using the mandatory winter tyres.

Now I accept snow in Germany is different to snow in Ireland, but some of the roads I left on Monday morning back home were pretty much the same as here.

TLDR - Get winter tyres, you can't go wrong. The difference is like night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

got a fecking puncture this morning, had to drive 5 miles before i could get off the main road to a safe spot on my tyre... fecked it up completely...

Dropped down to a friend of mine who has a local tyre shop, got a pair of part worn winter tyres (he imports them in from germany winter and summer tyres).... (€50 for a pair)

jesus the difference they mak is unreal.... the grip is so much better....

its the way to go lads....

If you are stuck at the bottom of a hill then they have a use. Unlike what people here are trying to use them for, they are meant as an Emergency Tool. The fact they cannot drive on treated roads or over 50kph makes this kinda obvious.

Winter Tyres are like normal tyres, you can drive anywhere with them.
    robtri wrote: »
    got a fecking puncture this morning, had to drive 5 miles before i could get off the main road to a safe spot on my tyre... fecked it up completely...
    Dropped down to a friend of mine who has a local tyre shop, got a pair of part worn winter tyres (he imports them in from germany winter and summer tyres).... (€50 for a pair)
    jesus the difference they mak is unreal.... the grip is so much better....
    its the way to go lads....
    Yeah I paid about the same a tyre in Autodepot, they dont charge extra for Winters and at the price the complete tyre fitted then and there is competitive with Snow Socks. I just cannot understand why people are spending EUR60-70 on socks when Part Worn Winters are in the same ballpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Matt Simis wrote: »

I don't agree, I have All-seasons on my car and encountered no difficulties last winter until I came across a patch of sheet ice (which I couldn't walk on let alone drive).

Obviously they're not going to be as good as winter tyres, but they are an OK compromise (seeing as we don't get proper winters anyway)

• Advertisement

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Obviously they're not going to be as good as winter tyres, but they are an OK compromise (seeing as we don't get proper winters anyway)
    Yeah but why do an "ok compromise" when you can do it 100%? All Seasons are closer to Summers in every test than Winters, dont be under the illusion they are like 50% as good or halfway to Winters. I have had All Seasons, they were my first attempt last year. I would pick them over Summers obviously but compared to Winters, they are rubbish in Winter. Compared to Summer Tyres in Summer they dont really offer anything. So their sweet spot appears to be entirely situated in late August.

For the sake of tyre grip, Winter is any temps under +7 or Snow and Ice. Its November and its been down to -11 and the ground is covered in Snow today, Ice yesterday, who knows what tomorrow. This will go on temp wise at least till February. I would call those temps and a 3month duration a "proper" Winter as would the Tyre manufacturers.

PS: I noted temps of 3-5c a month ago in my morning commute, so there was some benefit to Winters for a very long time in Ireland.

Advertisement