Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter tyres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Thanks - can I ask why - have you used these?

Yes I have used this
    Excellent tyres for the winter season
    Now I am on Sepmerit Speed Grip
    This is good as well

speed-grip-uv.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

MarkoC wrote: »
    These tyres are compared to each other not to winter tyres.
    What do you mean "these tyres"? Did you look at the 2nd link or just reply?
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/259435/winter_tyre_test.html

They have an All Season tyre in the test as the comparison. Again, Im not "pro-All Season", but for some people that cannot or will not put on Winters, they are viable. Their alternatives are the rather limited Socks plus Summers or just stick it out with Summers.

The 2 sets of All Seasons I tried (Conti's and Falken 912s) were not, IMO, good in ice or snow. However Im not so totally closed minded to dismiss every single one of them ever made and cherry pick my review segments.

EDIT for your reference:
    Snow Handling
    Continental 100.0
    Goodyear 99.7
    Vredestein 99.6
    Pirelli 99.3
    All-season 97.7
    Nokian 97.6
    Dunlop 97.6
    Summer 42.9

Snow braking
    Goodyear 100.0
    Continental 97.1
    Dunlop 96.1
    Vredestein 91.4
    Pirelli 86.9
    Nokian 86.4
    All-season 77.8
    Summer -32.2

So not as good as Winters (though better than some in handling) but clearly not crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Effervescent

Piri wrote: »
    Yes I have used this
    This is good as well

Would you know anywhere I could get these in the South East (preferably Wexford)?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Wtf Nankang SV 2 seem to have gone from the site or I am going blind :eek:

Prices have changed again? Some models gone since a few hours a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Biglad wrote: »
    Wtf Nankang SV 2 seem to have gone from the site or I am going blind :eek:
    Depends what size you looking at.

• Advertisement

we can sort of handle with driving carefully, .

MEGALOL :D:D:D

70-80% of the cars has cheap badly worn made in china summer tyres

Yes I have used this
    This is good as well

Would you know anywhere I could get these in the South East (preferably Wexford)?

All europe running out of wintertyres
    Wintertyres orderded by wholesalers and retailers during summer.
    Factories making wintertyres during summer.
    The stock is totally running out in EU

As there is no history here with wintertyres (and snow) , nobody stocking for Ireland

You can order only from eiretyres now
    They making a big profit this year :)

You can order only from eiretyres now
    Nope, as I keep saying over and over, Autodepot have new and Used Winters.

Post mortum; just ordered 4x Hankook Ice Bear W300 215/50/17 tyres @ the grand total of 647.20 Eur (swallows again) sigh...:D

No smart comments please...:p

MEGALOL :D:D:D

70-80% of the cars has cheap badly worn made in china summer tyres

And you never see that at home? Megalol to you to :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Post mortum; just ordered 4x Hankook Ice Bear W300 215/50/17 tyres @ the grand total of 647.20 Eur (swallows again) sigh...:D
    Out of interest, what was your reasoning for not going part worn? Picked up about my 16th Winter tyre off Autodepot there on Saturday, EUR200 fitted for 4x Pirelli Winters, loads of thread. And not to be a total brand snob, but Pirelli's got to be worth more than Hankooks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Alright. . . :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Let me know how they go!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Roger Marbles

Hi guys,

Quick question: how do you know what size and type of winter tyre to order?

The tyres on my VW Polo at the moment are 155/70/13...

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Out of interest, what was your reasoning for not going part worn? Picked up about my 16th Winter tyre off Autodepot there on Saturday, EUR200 fitted for 4x Pirelli Winters, loads of thread. And not to be a total brand snob, but Pirelli's got to be worth more than Hankooks?

I had a look at their site and they do not list an awfull lot and nothing in the sizes I was looking for. Although I will only be using these for one winter, I'll be changing cars soon, they will be transplanted on to steel rims so they will do the missus. If Autodepot would have had an online ordering system of some sort and display a bit more choice I might have considdered them. I was not going to buy used. I might have been slightly bullish as the company is paying for the tyres and not me, still i choose not to spend 200+ per tyre eventhough it's not my money.

Ps. I have never rated Pirelli as a tyre as they never lasted at all. I suppose when it comes to pure road handling in extreme conditions etc. they are very good but over the last 20-something years I have always had company cars and if they came with Pirelli's I would never change them for more Pirelli's. I would normally go Michelin as they would last. This is in no relation to the winter tyres however, can't judge there.

Let me know how they go!

Will do ofcourse!! Come June, when the winter is about to end, we will all be experts :D

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Nope, as I keep saying over and over, Autodepot have new and Used Winters.
    What size you need??

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭peltor

Will do ofcourse!! Come June, when the winter is about to end, we will all be experts :D

Then we can start the thread, Well how did your winters fair out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I had a look at their site and they do not list an awfull lot and nothing in the sizes I was looking for. Although I will only be using these for one winter, I'll be changing cars soon, they will be transplanted on to steel rims so they will do the missus. If Autodepot would have had an online ordering system of some sort and display a bit more choice I might have considdered them. I was not going to buy used. I might have been slightly bullish as the company is paying for the tyres and not me, still i choose not to spend 200+ per tyre eventhough it's not my money.

Ps. I have never rated Pirelli as a tyre as they never lasted at all. I suppose when it comes to pure road handling in extreme conditions etc. they are very good but over the last 20-something years I have always had company cars and if they came with Pirelli's I would never change them for more Pirelli's. I would normally go Michelin as they would last. This is in no relation to the winter tyres however, can't judge there.
    You wont use autodepot because they dont have a good online site and you wont use eiretyre because they are too expensive.

Best of luck with your project of getting winter tyres.

Pick up the phone and ring autodepot before all the winter tyres run out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

kennyb3 wrote: »
    You wont use autodepot because they dont have a good online site and you wont use eiretyre because they are too expensive.

Try reading the thread - he's already got some somewhere else:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ehhh, sorry, couple of posts up buddy, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Ehhh, sorry, couple of posts up buddy, thank you.
    sorry, seems you ve done the right thing so.

I know they are expensive but defo worth it

sorry, seems you ve done the right thing so.

I know they are expensive but defo worth it

No worries, looking at the longer range forecast I might be bale to report back on performace really quick.:)

Anybody here who can help this guy out, seems to be in a bit of a panic;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69420369&posted=1#post69420369

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

After looking out the window and seeing a fresh blanket of snow just after falling..
    ordering off eiretyres now.

Can someone please fill me in how to fill in their CC details?
    They keep refusing my card. The money is definitely there..I don't understand.

SV wrote: »
    After looking out the window and seeing a fresh blanket of snow just after falling..
    ordering off eiretyres now.

Can someone please fill me in how to fill in their CC details?
    They keep refusing my card. The money is definitely there..I don't understand.

Do not try with laser

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

been pondering winter tyres for the last 2 weeks and did'nt realise there was a big thread here about the topic. managed to get 4 conti winter contact continentals today part worn for 190 fitted. delighted with myself:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Do not try with laser

It's with Visa but it just keeps failing and failing and..yeah
    I'm going to do a bank transfer tomorrow instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

CC worked for me no problem. Maybe just chocked with boardsies ordering like mad.

• Advertisement

Give it a little time and try again. I had to be patient when I ordered mine a few hours a go. Don't want to wind you up but by the morning, eh, well they could be gone it's that mental.

Advertisement