Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter tyres

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

peasant wrote: »
    A decent jacket and good shoes will do ...because if you get that badly stuck, you just abandon the car and walk to the next neighbour.

This is Ireland ...not Siberia or Alaska :D

It happened to a large number of people in Scotland and England only last week, while in Paris yesterday thousands had to spend the night in their cars or emergency shelters due to snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

A decent jacket and good shoes will do ...because if you get that badly stuck, you just abandon the car and walk to the next neighbour.

This is Ireland ...not Siberia or Alaska :D

Yes I would make a few phone calls see if the bro-in-law can get me with his tractor, if not, I would trek home to the fire! Ill definately pack a torch and a bottle of water and the Hi-tec boots though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

SV wrote: »
    I may very well have 8 winter tyres spare soon enough.

185/55/15 Nokian WR G2s if anyone is interested, I'll see what happens.
    Hopefully they arrive soon.

There has to be a solution to what happened there mate. Its madness that they would even ship the order without confirmation that it is what you want.

Its what Thomann.de do, which is a general music site. They send a confirmation email to you and if it is alright they dont expect a reply from you but if something got fecked up you have some time to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Tyres are a good start but if you can afford a cheap 4x4 it is your answer and there is plenty to be had at a good price out there now.

I picked up a Cr-v last year for a E1k and it has been a dream although not fulltime 4wd it has not budged in a bad way once and it has a lot thrown at it the last 2 weeks on the back roads of Kildare.

I tried the Integra yesterday,20 minutes to get out of the driveway and this is the suppossed thaw,but it eased then once on the main roads thank F!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

JJJJNR wrote: »
    ... winter pack: consisting of snow chains, tow rope and a bag of sand... a good blanket, a bottle of water, chocolate, and a torch also.
    copacetic wrote: »
    and a shovel, warm waterproof jacket and trousers,hat, glooves and boots.
    Blanket sleeping bag, shoes good work boots, spare mobile battery, gloves, compass (only joking) :D.

Winter tyres would probablly negate the need for all of the above, of course.... :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

esel wrote: »
    Winter tyres would probablly negate the need for all of the above, of course.... :eek:

Not up a mountain unless you happen to dirve an AWD with good ground clearance

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Am looking to get a set of part worn winter tyres for my car. Not sure even where to look or where would stock them.

We live in rural Meath and the past few weeks have been a nightmare. We still have solid ice on all the roads and it's 7 miles to the nearest road that has been treated or gets enough traffic to make a difference. My question is, will winter tyres really be the solution or will I have to get snow socks or something as well for when the really bad weather hits again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

sept09baby wrote: »
    Am looking to get a set of part worn winter tyres for my car. Not sure even where to look or where would stock them.

We live in rural Meath and the past few weeks have been a nightmare. We still have solid ice on all the roads and it's 7 miles to the nearest road that has been treated or gets enough traffic to make a difference. My question is, will winter tyres really be the solution or will I have to get snow socks or something as well for when the really bad weather hits again?

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

We should probably watch out for this rip off in Ireland also
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11969958

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

But you are telling me I am less likely to crash with the winter tyres and to me thats an excellent reason to buy them - I really hope I can get them though, before Friday!

Sorry if i come off condasending,thats not the way i mean it.
    Winters are the safeist option without doubt, Just remember you still need to drive with caution.
    you can still crash/slid with winters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

thetyreman wrote: »
    PM Sent
    Hi...
    If you have or know where has a stock of winter tyres in the meath area I'd appreciate some info..
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

bbam wrote: »
    Hi...
    If you have or know where has a stock of winter tyres in the meath area I'd appreciate some info..
    Thanks

Sorry dont know anyone has in Meath,only Kildare,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

bbam wrote: »
    Hi...
    Thanks
    Me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I've never experienced black ice like I did tonight, winter tires were very very good but I was driving miss Daisey and was still getting twitchy... its crazy.. worst I've ever seen.. be very careful out there tomorrow folks, even if you have winter tires on they are no good on sheet ice. well maybe 10 - 20% better than summers but not as good as they are on snow etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

gernon wrote: »
    We should probably watch out for this rip off in Ireland also
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11969958

:eek::eek::eek:
    I fail to believe that this is happeneing accidentally for one.

For another - do people normal inform their insurance companies when they get a new set of tires ?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Place near Finglas did some wheel change overs for me last week, seemed to have a good stock and were real easy to deal with.

Located here; sorry Google image is outdated, but location is correct.

http://www.google.ie/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=53.373856,-6.290188&spn=0,0.021844&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.374089,-6.290799&panoid=_qE82R5FCwZY_epCicj8Rg&cbp=12,218.29,,0,5

Probably these guys, can't say for sure: http://www.asnewtyres.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I was just about to post a question about this opinion guy.
    Im debating whether to get snow socks or part worn winter tyres.
    It looks like the general advice is to get winters if you can get them.
    But tonight a friend told me she heard a radio programme that was saying insurance companies are charging you extra if you put them on.
    Is this happening here in Ireland I see the link is to a UK site?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Got the hankook all weathers a few days ago from eiretyres or whatever their real name is.
    Can't recomend them high enough . Not only are the ace in snow but there also a joy on normal clear roads. They literally stick to the road so much so that you hardly need to steer at all.
    Just tap the steering wheel left-car turns left. Right tap the wheel again once, and car straightens again in a uniform line.
    Best tyres i've had on the car.
    However its a pity about that online shower you have to buy them off.
    Took me nearly 3 weeks to order and eventually recieve them.
    They cancelled my cred card payment twice and i had to do an interpay/credit transfer that took another 5 days.
    I had minus two tyres for 8 days of this painfull proccess and what topped it off was when i got an e-mail from them yesterday stating that they havn't recieved payment from me yet.
    I don't even know where to start with this crowd .
    I looked around and you can't get these particular tyre from dealers in Ireland or such places as Camskill and the like.
    Hankook are seriously missing a trick with the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

TJJP wrote: »
    Place near Finglas did some wheel change overs for me last week, seemed to have a good stock and were real easy to deal with.

Located here; sorry Google image is outdated, but location is correct.

http://www.google.ie/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=53.373856,-6.290188&spn=0,0.021844&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.374089,-6.290799&panoid=_qE82R5FCwZY_epCicj8Rg&cbp=12,218.29,,0,5

Probably these guys, can't say for sure: http://www.asnewtyres.com/
    Possibly www.tyreland.ie ? They are in that industrial estate anyway. Not sure if they have part-worn winters though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Got the hankook all weathers a few days ago from eiretyres or whatever their real name is.
    Can't recomend them high enough . Not only are the ace in snow but there also a joy on normal clear roads. They literally stick to the road so much so that you hardly need to steer at all.
    Just tap the steering wheel left-car turns left. Right tap the wheel again once, and car straightens again in a uniform line.
    Best tyres i've had on the car.
    However its a pity about that online shower you have to buy them off.
    Took me nearly 3 weeks to order and eventually recieve them.
    They cancelled my cred card payment twice and i had to do an interpay/credit transfer that took another 5 days.
    I had minus two tyres for 8 days of this painfull proccess and what topped it off was when i got an e-mail from them yesterday stating that they havn't recieved payment from me yet.
    I don't even know where to start with this crowd .
    I looked around and you can't get these particular tyre from dealers in Ireland or such places as Camskill and the like.
    Hankook are seriously missing a trick with the Irish market.

Optimo 4S H730?

Loving the tyre myself. The car feels great on the cold dry and wet roads since I put them on.
    Not too sure if it is any quieter or not but I will hold of judgement until the roads warm up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

esel wrote: »
    Possibly www.tyreland.ie ? They are in that industrial estate anyway. Not sure if they have part-worn winters though.

Thanks esel, I checked it out again; it was www.asnewtyres.com for sure.

You’re right though, www.tyreland.ie are in the same estate, looks like a much bigger place though.

At least that gives buyers good options; anyone in the market should be able to get tyres sorted in that estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

:eek::eek::eek:
    I fail to believe that this is happeneing accidentally for one.

For another - do people normal inform their insurance companies when they get a new set of tires ?!?!

Since all my cars are "rated" (if thats even the right term in this case) to use Winter tyres by the manufacturer and are from countries where its the norm to fit them, they are not a modification in any manner at all.

It could be argued more successfully IMO that the primary markets of many cars require Winter tyres (or are expected to fit them) and the ABS and TCS systems are not designed to run with Summers in sub-zero. The Summers could be considered a modification from spec.

There is also the fact that at least one Car manufacturer in UK and Ireland is actively selling Winter tyres now (BMW).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Just ordered some pirelli sottozero winter tyres, it was scary on the roads on saturday night, hope they will help.

I reckon they are worth the extra expense as having one small accident will cost you 200-300 euros(insurance excess) on a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Hi Guys,

Need a bit of advice on the topic of the moment...Tyres!

So my front two are perfect and have minimal wear and tear, the back two have about 5mm depth left on them.
    I have nowhere to store tyres so buying a full set of tyres is impractical and a bit of a waste of money when the front tyres are so good.

My question is: is it possible to just buy two all season tyres and use them in conjunction with the relatively new tyres which are currently at the front? Or is it the most mind numbingly stupid thing ever to attempt?

I was looking at the snow socks and the Michelin easy grip snow chains but they are impractical for me as I do a lot of motorway driving so they'll disintigrate after a short while. Also, I don't want to spend this Christmas day with my dad driving around the countryside trying to find a hill he could actually drive up to my parent's house like last Christmas so I do need to sort out my tyre situation if at all possible...

Thanks for any help,

CH

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Clarehobo wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Need a bit of advice on the topic of the moment...Tyres!

So my front two are perfect and have minimal wear and tear, the back two have about 5mm depth left on them.
    I have nowhere to store tyres so buying a full set of tyres is impractical and a bit of a waste of money when the front tyres are so good.

My question is: is it possible to just buy two all season tyres and use them in conjunction with the relatively new tyres which are currently at the front? Or is it the most mind numbingly stupid thing ever to attempt?

I was looking at the snow socks and the Michelin easy grip snow chains but they are impractical for me as I do a lot of motorway driving so they'll disintigrate after a short while. Also, I don't want to spend this Christmas day with my dad driving around the countryside trying to find a hill he could actually drive up to my parent's house like last Christmas so I do need to sort out my tyre situation if at all possible...

Thanks for any help,

CH

Try to find 4 winter tyres that suit your car and ask somebody else to store your summer tyres for you, friend, family, etc...just my advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

4 Hankook 215/50/17 Icebear W300's arrived this morning and are now on the car. Just hope the forecasters are right...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

Experienced this morning the flip side of getting the fantastic rarer-than-hens-teeth winter tyres...if you puncture, (and the tyre is banjoed) what to do then?
    Bugger :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

sean_d wrote: »
    Experienced this morning the flip side of getting the fantastic rarer-than-hens-teeth winter tyres...if you puncture, (and the tyre is banjoed) what to do then?
    Bugger :(

is it plugabell ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Just got them.
    Sent others back.

Now we better get some serious feckin snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

SV wrote: »
    Just got them.
    Sent others back.

Now we better get some serious feckin snow!
    how long were your tyres in the depot in lehrte? mine are there since sunday night now with no movement. did the sme link they sent you constantly update. i ve tried the uk and ire sites and there is nothing for my parcel on them. it will be 3 weeks friday since i ordered.

Advertisement