Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter tyres

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

<snip> IN Kildare still have very good Second Hand Winter Tyres

<snip contact details - please PM the poster for information>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

bbam wrote: »
    Finally got some part worn Semperit winters, €35 a corner fitted,, about half worn tyres, happy out, the only others I could source were €115 a corner ... I'm interested to see how much better than the all-weather's I had on the Zafira cos it's a bit light in the snow..

Winter's are great as expected, our lane is quite steep and accumalates snow... Unfortunitely herself left the handbreak on and it's frozen solid, now I can drag the frozen wheels up/down the hill where last week I couldn't get up with the handbreak off!!! Parked it up in the sun running so hopefully it'll thaw soon but it's still -12 here so I wouldn't hold out much hope....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's not quite this bad here yet, but here is a video of a convoy driving over the mountains in Norway. The guy in front had broken down and had to be towed. Then his windscreen froze over, then he couldn't find his hat...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mossir

Hi, I wonder were can "snow socks" for tyres be bought near Donegal Town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Anyone got any advice on where to get part-worn winters in the Sandyford area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

daRobot wrote: »
    Anyone got any advice on where to get part-worn winters in the Sandyford area?

Drive to Tallaght (Autodepot)? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I'm about to undertake my first real test for my winters I got from autodepot.

Kimmage - Stepaside in icey snowy hell... should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I bet this thread will get even busier now.

Got home handy driving backroads tonight with no bother on the winters. Was able to drive all the way up to my apartment unlike 2 weeks ago. Couple of 4 by 4's in front of me skidding but i was fine! loving them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Really looking forward to early tomorrow morning now, rather sadly! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

bbk wrote: »
    So much for that! I was looking forward to some heavy snow and some excuses to go out driving in it but there has been feck all in the east midlands. :(

I know.
    srs disappointment here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Anyone know where I can get winter tyres for a 4x4?

Have searched:

tyreshop.ie
    eiretyres.com

but they seem to be out. Size is 265/65 R 17

Anyone know any other websites?!

Cheers

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Camskill are out of almost everything :eek:

Glad I got mine in time! I saw a minor crash this morning, car with windscreen covered in ice slid onto a roundabout, hit a car that was already on it, then got hit by another car that couldn't stop in time. It looked as if they sprayed water onto the windscreen and it froze but obviously didn't feel the need to pull over and clear it :rolleyes:

I decided not to bother going out in the car, for all the good winter tyres are on my car, there's no point in making unnecessary journeys when there are plenty of idiots about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

JJJJNR wrote: »

Thanks but they seem to be out of them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

arctictree wrote: »

Are you looking for alternative sizes to suit your vehicle as well? Might give you more options.

arctictree wrote: »

I'd say your best bet would be to try and get some used ones somewhere, or else try different sizes. I doubt that anywhere will be getting new stock in anytime soon.

Well I have to say I'm amazed. Made it up hills... past stranded vehicles on the m50 and up the backroads to stepaside in my Ferrari .. er 206 van ;)

had great grip 90% of the way.

contiwinter contact I love you!

(I drove similar conditions 2 weeks ago on summers and nearly died several times!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Well I have to say I'm amazed. Made it up hills... past stranded vehicles on the m50 and up the backroads to stepaside in my Ferrari .. er 206 van ;)

had great grip 90% of the way.

contiwinter contact I love you!

(I drove similar conditions 2 weeks ago on summers and nearly died several times!)

Glad to have another person gaining the benefits of Winter specers!
    Im looking forward to my next excuse to go driving :p

EDIT:
    SV wrote: »
    I know.
    srs disappointment here :(

Some snow now, slightly threatening!
    I may go out to get a sliced pan in an hour. :p

Any chance of some video's of peoples cars driving with their winter tires on.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Why? You not believe us :D

• Advertisement

far too busy making progress to be doing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

videos of cars driving around without a hitch are kinda booooring

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

peasant wrote: »

Yeah I took some people out to demo them.. nothing happened and everyone quietly murmured and left to skid home. :D

Driving up hills past neighbors who laughed at you getting winter tires.. ahem.. is the most exciting thing you can do with your car.. in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Driving up hills past neighbors who laughed at you getting winter tires.. ahem.. is the most exciting thing you can do with your car.. in this weather.

Defo!

The neighbours in the estate are quaking in embarrassment as I switch my car around in the driveway with ease :cool:

A pity I have no daycent roads near me! :(

peasant wrote: »

Tut tut, wheres that video of you going around sligo in your T25..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Here, here. Also, what about some videos of paint drying ? That would be awesome!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I got winter tyres (part worns) and VW alloys fitted yesterday for €100 in Newry in Kings tyre centre.

They have already proved their worth.

Just had to rescue herself.. Her car died on the N11 fun times indeed. However it was sortof cool to go flying up hills without the worry of spinning out or going down snowy roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I went out to the airport at 2am.Then went thro town and out to Dundrum.
    Wasant to bad till i got near Dundrum town center and
    decided to venture into an estate.The octavia became a plough :)
    must have been about 5" of snow

WARNING to any one planing on hiting the M50 its bad south of the redcow and very bad south of the Knocklyon juction.

north of the redcow is quite good and north of the west-link is clear

more snow due :D

heres a few pics

A cold Octavia
    164719_475315942746_748362746_5833132_2583601_n.jpg

An estate just off Ballinteer Road
    164334_475316087746_748362746_5833137_3922795_n.jpg

165028_475316172746_748362746_5833140_6189510_n.jpg

Dundrum slip north bound
    65881_475316322746_748362746_5833144_3217348_n.jpg

166361_475316497746_748362746_5833148_7137545_n.jpg

Advertisement