Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter tyres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Thinking of getting four cheap steel rims and putting on 4 part worn winter tyres. I have 17 inch on now but if I got 15s would I need to redo the tracking again?
    Also if I take off the winter tyres do I need to redo the wheel balance?

Not sure on the tracking question but if you remove the winters and replace them with different tyres than you would ahve to get them balanced.

I got my winters fitted to my normal alloys which, including balancing, cost me 35 Euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭traco

No need to do the tracking, just get them balanced and off you go.

BTW - that little excursion home tonight took me 4 hrs 43 mins, 4 of which were spent on the M50 due to trucks and cars unable to get up inclines resulting in everyone going nowhere.

Avg speed was 13kph or something. Naas to Portmarnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Thanks for the reply. But if I have the tyres on the alloy (winter) and put back on my oringal alloy (Summer) would I have to redo the balance everytime I switch them?

Thanks for the reply. But if I have the tyres on the alloy (winter) and put back on my oringal alloy (Summer) would I have to redo the balance everytime I switch them?

Don't think so bud. I would also mark from which corner each wheel was taken and put them back on the same corner, but that's only because of my ocd...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Thanks. Il ring around sure and find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ncga6UxlHM

I can only assume that the test was done on a cold wet surface?
    Interesting none the less. Hadn't seen a test against Summers on anything other then snow and ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭traco

If you have the tyres fitted to another set of rims then just have them balanced the once. Ballancing is just offsetting the weight differnces in thyre that occurs during the naufacturing process - ie one part might be slightly thicker than another and a weight is put on the rim to conteract this.

Tracking / a;ignment is to do with the suspension / steering geometry of the car itself irespective of what wheel are on it. It impacts handling and tyre wear. This gets knocked out of alignment by potholes. speedbumps and crap roads in general. So tracking / alignment is independent of the wheels.

So tyres should be balanced when newly fitted to rims and once done should remain fine unless you loose a weight. Balanced wheels can be swapped back and forth with no requirement for rebalancing unless the trye has been remove for repair and refitted or you lose a weight of the rim.

Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

thought id share some more pics of where my winters are driveing

165490_475806732746_748362746_5840021_7272925_n.jpg

68119_475807177746_748362746_5840027_1784006_n.jpg

166110_475807282746_748362746_5840028_5062297_n.jpg

63284_475807442746_748362746_5840034_6631066_n.jpg

166331_475807547746_748362746_5840035_5213731_n.jpg

72004_475807797746_748362746_5840037_4198908_n.jpg

looking into the wheel well,have to keep clearing it out :(
    165273_475816797746_748362746_5840110_469921_n.jpg

came home and had to get smokes out of the soarer

heres the roof over the door
    156613_475808122746_748362746_5840040_1413725_n.jpg

and heres the open door :eek:
    69778_475808412746_748362746_5840041_4221929_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Biglad wrote: »
    I'd say that's quite a logical outcome as most of the stopping power is at the rear in your case which should help in a way to keep the front in line...
    :confused: I'm pretty sure that most of the braking is done by the front wheels, regardless of whether the vehicle is FWD or RWD...

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Yarra

I can't believe the difference, I had to park up my old Merc 190e last time it snowed. Ordered in 2 Nokian WRG2 tyres from Eire Tyres- Used my spare wheel which is a steel rim (that had a bald tyre on it) and got another rim off summerhill spares for €10- The lads in the garage on Grand Canal St put them on the rims €25- Left from town to get to Sandyford today and Ballinteer, 6" of snow in the estate and no drama- no issues even going up by Taylors Lane hill and the hill at the back of Mount Carmel- they are without doubt the way forward- car also has a full tank of petrol and 3 bails of briqutes over each wheel in the boot- No traction control and still doing it- The WRG2 would be good for using all year here so will probably get 2 more when my existing "summers" wear out-

http://www.tyretest.com/pkw_winterreifen/nokian/wr_g2/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Interesting thread.

I just drive my New Holland tractor to work these days though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YouThinkThat

I have a BMW 1 series and have 2 new tyres on the front (April of this yr). The back tyres need changing..its a RWD...and I cant get anywhere in this snow. Would it be a good idea for me to buy 2 winter tyres for the back now...does it matter if they arent all winter tyres?...they are run flats by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I have a BMW 1 series and have 2 new tyres on the front (April of this yr). The back tyres need changing..its a RWD...and I cant get anywhere in this snow. Would it be a good idea for me to buy 2 winter tyres for the back now...does it matter if they arent all winter tyres?...they are run flats by the way...

Official line is no, you should not do this as you will upset the braking. Personally I have tried this on a RWD BMW and it does stop you spinning out and getting stuck on inclines etc. I didnt notice any weird braking issues either, likely because a RWD car isnt driving, braking and steering all at once on the same axle like on a FWD car.

What you will do however is remove oversteer (ass flying out) and introduce understeer (sliding direction you are facing unable to turn), like a FWD car.
    Its your call, but you wont truely benefit from Winters with just 2, it just gets you mobile.

PS: Mixing RF and non-RF is not good for the suspension setup on the car either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Another video for the archive. :D

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/22122010/36/ford-saloon-trumps-4x4s-icy-hill-0.html
    If you wait for it, in the midst of the madness, a Ford saloon (which we suspect is wearing winter tyres) casually negotiates its way down the hill, zipping around the stranded trucks with perfect control.
    Winter tyres are a hot topic in the UK at the moment, although many drivers are struggling to find a suitable set as demand vastly outstrips supply.
    Given the speed he made those course corrections at, Winter tyres are nearly a sure bet.
    Note that most US trucks (if not all of them) come standard with All Terrain or All Season tyres. So this isnt an example of Summer tyres being brutal (though thats assumed).

One thing you notice in that video is that a lot of the vehicles are "on the brakes" steady, no chance of steering away from the immenent crash...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

One thing you notice in that video is that a lot of the vehicles are "on the brakes" steady, no chance of steering away from the immenent crash...

Yeah but that's common, when things get sideways lots of people slam on the brakes, white knuckle the steering wheel, and close their eyes..

Watched one poor fella yesterday in a polo, got a slight twitch cmoing into a corner and stuck on the brakes..slide, slide slide... No bother though as the hedge and telephone pole stopped him..:o
    I'm 100% sure he would have been fine if he lifted both feet of the pedals and steered gently round the corner...

I really felt for him, imagine loosing your car 3 days before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YouThinkThat

Ok...thanks for the advice. I might buy a pair of those tyre socks and see how I fare with them instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

If your meant to have four winter tires instead of 2 how come you only need two snow socks ? Is it anything to do with traction when going over a certain speed ? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mle1324 wrote: »
    If your meant to have four winter tires instead of 2 how come you only need two snow socks ? Is it anything to do with traction when going over a certain speed ? :o
    Snow socks are a very basic 'get you up that hill' solution, they're not comparable to winter tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Anan1 wrote: »
    Snow socks are a very basic 'get you up that hill' solution, they're not comparable to winter tyres.

Unless you are one of the two morons I passed on the M50 today, doing 60-70 km/h with their snow socks on :rolleyes:. One of which was a taxi with a fare on board.

Also passed a shredded Snow sock in the middle of the carriageway.

• Advertisement

mle1324 wrote: »

Don't know who ever decided you need only two snow socks, guess it's because they are a "get you out of a hole" solution and mot a means for everyday travelling a reasonable speed on various mixed surfaces. Speed should be kept down when using these sock things, read something about 40kph max on snow cover, everything else you should be crawling to not shred them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Thanks Anan.

Just trying to prove a point to someone that you do need 4 winter tires and not 2 but because he heard a Russian mechanic say two were okay (as that what they use back home) he has taken the mechanic's word for it :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My fronts were heading towards about 2mm and only for something came up, i was going to get two new regular tyres before this snowfall kicked in and was been quoted between 80 and 100 per tyre.

So today i went to a part worn tyre centre here in drogheda and got a pair of michilin winters for 75 total including fitting and balancing. Theres about 6 mm of thread left so i think there worth the money. I'm aware of the issues of having winters on the front only so did a little testing just to feel what they can do. I'm surprised at how well they work and would defo recommend to any doubters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Most of my commute to and from work today was on snow packed and slushy roads. I've regular tyres. Didn't slide once and got me uphill on a snowy road at the end to get home. (Relieved!) Still, strongly considering winter tires for the added reassurance. A work colleague got a set for 400 quid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There was an article in the Irish Times today about winter tyres.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/motors/2010/12/23/time-for-a-tyre-rethink/

Stheno wrote: »
    There was an article in the Irish Times today about winter tyres.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/motors/2010/12/23/time-for-a-tyre-rethink/

Thank god for that, saves us explaining it all over and over again to the non-believers on here, I'm sure they won't disagree with that article, or will they?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think Mr Comyn might actually be on this forum quite a bit, albeit incognito.:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think Mr Comyn might actually be on this forum quite a bit, albeit incognito.:)

LOL :D I was reading the article, thinking it sounded like reading the Winter Tyres thread, not in the sense that it was a summary, but so much of it was what has been talked about here :)

CJhaughey wrote: »

Really :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Don't know who ever decided you need only two snow socks, guess it's because they are a "get you out of a hole" solution and mot a means for everyday travelling a reasonable speed on various mixed surfaces. Speed should be kept down when using these sock things, read something about 40kph max on snow cover, everything else you should be crawling to not shred them...

And don't put them on on gravel and check the thread for pebbles. I have a nice hole in mine now.

Still, they work great, but have limits. Pain in proberbial doing 50K on motorway stretch (only 2k.)

As for only using 2, well the back end is a bit loose, but OK at low speed.

Advertisement