Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter tyres

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

delly wrote: »
    So today i went to a part worn tyre centre here in drogheda and got a pair of michilin winters for 75 total including fitting and balancing. Theres about 6 mm of thread left so i think there worth the money. I'm aware of the issues of having winters on the front only so did a little testing just to feel what they can do. I'm surprised at how well they work and would defo recommend to any doubters.

Do you mind me asking where that place is? I'd be interested in getting some for the wife's car if the price is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Mr Comyn article is 99% correct
    One simple thing: He wrote: "Winter tyres are made from specially developed compound with more natural rubber so they don’t harden when it’s cold"

This is not true
    Winter tyres has more silica in the mixture, not natural rubber

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Absurdum wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where that place is? I'd be interested in getting some for the wife's car if the price is reasonable.

Sure thing, its on the Dublin road at the junction of Mary Street. Details here. He has tonnes of tyres and will look for the best ones with you, and if your not happy he can dig out some more.

Sure thing, its on the Dublin road at the junction of Mary Street. Details here. He has tonnes of tyres and will look for the best ones with you, and if your not happy he can dig out some more.

cool, thanks, I know that place, I must drop in sometime next week

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks for that, might well head up and get winters on the bf's car (we tend to use that the most) did the €75 include fitting or did I just not read your post right?

I'll probably get four tbh if the bf agrees. Still a fair bit of winter to get through.

Duh ignore my question, just reread your post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Absurdum wrote: »
    cool, thanks, I know that place, I must drop in sometime next week

At that money you would be crazy not to do the right thing and get 4 fitted...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

bbam wrote: »
    Yeah but that's common, when things get sideways lots of people slam on the brakes, white knuckle the steering wheel, and close their eyes..

Watched one poor fella yesterday in a polo, got a slight twitch cmoing into a corner and stuck on the brakes..slide, slide slide... No bother though as the hedge and telephone pole stopped him..:o
    I'm 100% sure he would have been fine if he lifted both feet of the pedals and steered gently round the corner...

I really felt for him, imagine loosing your car 3 days before Christmas

He didn't lose it, he knows where it is.;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Finally got a chance today to play around in an empty car park .

Not icy really, just compacted snow that a few vehicles had driven on.

Was intending to be a bit of a hooligan, doing donuts, powerslides, pirouettes, etc.

Didn't work ...feckin' tyres just gripped and wouldn't let go. Couldn't get any real wheelspin going ...guess I'll have to try that again with something that has more than 70 PS :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Couple of vids of part of my drive home, had to stop to make some yellow snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

peasant wrote: »
    Finally got a chance today to play around in an empty car park .

Not icy really, just compacted snow that a few vehicles had driven on.

Was intending to be a bit of a hooligan, doing donuts, powerslides, pirouettes, etc.

Didn't work ...feckin' tyres just gripped and wouldn't let go. Couldn't get any real wheelspin going ...guess I'll have to try that again with something that has more than 70 PS :D

Yeah, we tried out and video'd the Audi S8 (Winters) and the Mazda CX7 (Pirelli All Seasons) in 2 carpark areas, one with compact snow and the other very high powder snow. The Mazda was more fun, it gripped less (but very controllable still) and has a manual gearbox! :(:o

• Advertisement

Wish I'd have bothered to find this thread before! I fitted Michelin Latitude Alpin to my Rav4 in November, before the snow started, because of my experience last winter - not one road within 5 miles of us is cleared at all. I have to say they are excellent, and would thoroughly recommend them.

My better half only drives locally, so after a bit of research I bought a pair of Michelin Easy Grip "chains" - they are a strong fabric with metal claps, which go on the front wheels of her car. They are nice and easy to fit, and easy to get off. The downside is that you can't use them on cleared roads, nor can you drive over 40km/h. That's fine for the sort of use she wants, though. They cost €129 plus postage and arrived about four days after I ordered them on the michelin website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ringing around to day, all regular tyre outlets still only offering summer tyres. One even claiming the summer tyre was an all season. I was looking for some part worn winters but none of those retailers have them in the size I'm looking for.

Back to the internet I guess.

BostonB wrote: »
    Ringing around to day, all regular tyre outlets still only offering summer tyres. One even claiming the summer tyre was an all season. I was looking for some part worn winters but none of those retailers have them in the size I'm looking for.

Back to the internet I guess.

Try Shane McManus in Dundalk 042 935 1678; he fitted mine (but they were new...) Worth a call if you're not too far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I gave up and got summers. I might try winters on the main car.

If it snows again, I'll work from home, or get the train. Simply to avoid the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

What are the winter tyre brigade doing these days. Are they off already?
    If not, how is the ride on the wet/dry roads?
    Are ye wearing the threads to bits keeping them on?
    Ride a bit bumpy?
    More snow could be 3-4 weeks off already.
    If ye havn't splased out on spare rims to go with your tyres it could be costly changing them back and forth, also might damage your tyres in the process.

Can't beat the all seasons.
    *rubs hands, rye smile, cheeky grin*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I went with Nokian WRG2 winter tyres as I read that in Canada they are used all year round by some drivers. I used Vred Wintrac extremes last year until March or April and had no problems with them, I wasnt 100% sure of them in the wet when the temperature was above 12 Degrees though. I have had the Nokians on since November and they are great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ride a bit bumpy?
    If ye havn't splased out on spare rims to go with your tyres it could be costly changing them back and forth, also might damage your tyres in the process.

I bougt Michelin Alpin A4s, which apparently are biased towards cold dry/wet/slushy roads. I had a week with them before the snow, and found them a little noisier above 140km/h. They'll be staying on until Feb or so.:)

it's still winter :confused:
    fine
    no, they aren't that soft
    Ride a bit bumpy?
    nope
    winter tyres =/= snow tyre!

there's no need to change back and forth every time the wind changes!
    pretty sure you can!
    :p

I actually prefer my SAAB 93 Vector Sport with the Hankook icebears as the ride is less bumpy compared to the tyres I took of. Sport suspension in combination with Donegal roads is not very comfortable at all and the extra "softness" of the winters is very welcome. As for tyre ware, well, after about 1000 miles, they're hardly rubbed in.

It's nice to know that the next cold spell is coming next week and that I have the right tyres on to deal with the conditions whatever they may be.

Best of luck to the all season people...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had all seasons fitted Pirelli P2500 4S, and fitted the Nokian WRG2 just before the last cold period. No comparison at all.
    The Pirelli were better than summers on snow and ice but hardly a patch on the Nokians.
    So having used both in recent times I have to disagree with the assertion that all-seasons are better IMO.
    The Nokians are very surefooted on snow and make the car handle a lot differently to the All-seasons, you really have to try to make the Nokians slide on snow compared to the Pirellis which had a tendency to let the back drift on corners and at much lower speeds.
    The Nokians will be staying on till March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ride a bit bumpy?

They are totally fine. I drove the other set around in the peak heat of like 25c this year, no problem. Ireland doesnt get hot enough (even in summer) to really have any of the effects you mention.

Now Im not saying they put me at any advantage at say +10c, but they arent in anyway "bad". Still good for early morning and late night commutes, patches of frost etc. Ill aim to take them off around March. Unless we get more of those snowing in March freak weather attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think by the ti me you have tyres and rims bought it would be almost as cheap to buy a secondhand Jimny, tax it for 3 months of the year and transfer the insurance as needed!

maidhc wrote: »
    I think by the ti me you have tyres and rims bought it would be almost as cheap to buy a secondhand Jimny, tax it for 3 months of the year and transfer the insurance as needed!

No it isn't, unless you can find a Jimny and tax it for three months for under 500 Euro (not to mention paying for the breakdown guy who needs to travel with you at all times) and don't forget the bag (to put over your head as you really wouldn't want to be seen driving that would you lol).

I'm sure you can buy 4 rims and used winter tyres for less than 500 Euro if you have the time to look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Biglad wrote: »
    No it isn't, unless you can find a Jimny and tax it for three months for under 500 Euro (not to mention paying for the breakdown guy who needs to travel with you at all times) and don't forget the bag (to put over your head as you really wouldn't want to be seen driving that would you lol).

I'm sure you can buy 4 rims and used winter tyres for less than 500 Euro if you have the time to look around.

You would get a decent enough Jimny for €2,000. It will go forever, look kind of cool (IMO), wade through water with a snorkel, and be far more competent than any car in bad conditions... and you could use it in the summer for driving to the beach and general feckacting.

I love the Jimnys and think they are cool though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

maidhc wrote: »
    and be far more competent than any car in bad conditions... .

I'd have thought with the higher centre of gravity, narrow wheel track and such short wheel base, bringing it out on ice/frost would be like a cat on a cooker..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bbam wrote: »
    I'd have thought with the higher centre of gravity, narrow wheel track and such short wheel base, bringing it out on ice/frost would be like a cat on a cooker..

Have to say it, and I'm a driver in the army so used to pretty decent vehicles in all weathers.. The Jimny is the craic!, it really is.

A mate has one, I love it and considering what it is its great on all roads and in all conditions... If I didn't look so thick in it - I'm 6'3'' and 19st I'd have one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Jimney in snow

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ILKqo9GpoZ8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ILKqo9GpoZ8?fs=1&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILKqo9GpoZ8&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

LMAO that some people seem to think that winter tyres will melt once its not snowy out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

What will make a Jimny on summer tyres superior to a car with Winter tyres when trying to brake on snow/ice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

fletch wrote: »
    What will make a Jimny on summer tyres superior to a car with Winter tyres when trying to brake on snow/ice?

Nothing, but they might be well able to drive out of the way rather than slide into something.

Advertisement