Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter tyres

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

... I changed to a set of new Vriedestein Quatrac 3 AS tyres (+snowflake) ...

Where did you get them from. Out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

maidhc wrote: »
    I love the Jimnys and think they are cool though.
    Apart from their preponderance to flip over...
    bbk wrote: »
    Having said that there are, IMO, only two All Seasons that are worth considering....
    I was going to ask you to not be coy, until I read this (after cutting out your verbiage (less really is more :D).
    bbk wrote:
    The research I did concluded with both the Hankook H730 Optimo 4S and Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons being the best of the all season bunch as they both scored exemplary marks in the tests.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

BostonB wrote: »
    Where did you get them from. Out of curiosity.

I eventually got mine from Sandyford Tyre Centre. Discount Tyre Centre in Rosemount/Blanchardstown were promising to get stock in at around the same time (mid-Dec) but Sandyford received theirs first and I was top of the wait list ;)

And thanks bbk - incidentally my actual preference was for Goodyear 4 Seasons but everyone I rang (a) never heard of them and would spend ages looking up catalogues while I was holding on the phone, & (b) fed me guff about how hard it was to order Goodyears since Irish distribution was taken over from the UK...

By the way, the same crowd that have been correctly predicting all the extreme cold snaps this year (Professional Forecast Research or something...) have said to expect a return to extended snow/sub-zero temps again in mid-January or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

And thanks bbk - incidentally my actual preference was for Goodyear 4 Seasons but everyone I rang (a) never heard of them and would spend ages looking up catalogues while I was holding on the phone, & (b) fed me guff about how hard it was to order Goodyears since Irish distribution was taken over from the UK...

By the way, the same crowd that have been correctly predicting all the extreme cold snaps this year (Professional Forecast Research or something...) have said to expect a return to extended snow/sub-zero temps again in mid-January or so...

Its annoying alright. I was forced onto the internet since none of the tyre dealers I went to could help me at all. One was willing to get Winters for me though, Ill give them that.

Bring on the snow! Good fun :p

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Little update since there has been now snow and some might be worried that my tyres have melted in unseasonably warm temperatures lol.

Drove to Cork on Tuesday, temps around 4/5c, damp roads no problems, car drove/handled absolutely fine on all road surfaces. Left Cork on Wednesday at about 2PM, roads were very wet already and temps up to about 12/13c. I can't really notice any difference in behaviour with the slightly higher temperatures, still very happy and comfortable driving around with my winter tyres.

Where I did notice a massive difference is in situations with standing water on the road. Normally there is this typical sound when driving through standing water at speed and that split second where you notice your tyre starting to aqua plane...none of that with my Hankooks. Even at motorway speeds and some standing water on the motorway between Cork and Dublin, very very impressed. Never thought/felt I lost traction, absolutely impressed.

I have about 2K miles up on my winters but it's barely, if at all, noticeable by just looking at them. They still look new to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Biglad wrote: »
    Little update since there has been now snow and some might be worried that my tyres have melted in unseasonably warm temperatures lol.

Drove to Cork on Tuesday, temps around 4/5c, damp roads no problems, car drove/handled absolutely fine on all road surfaces. Left Cork on Wednesday at about 2PM, roads were very wet already and temps up to about 12/13c. I can't really notice any difference in behaviour with the slightly higher temperatures, still very happy and comfortable driving around with my winter tyres.

Where I did notice a massive difference is in situations with standing water on the road. Normally there is this typical sound when driving through standing water at speed and that split second where you notice your tyre starting to aqua plane...none of that with my Hankooks. Even at motorway speeds and some standing water on the motorway between Cork and Dublin, very very impressed. Never thought/felt I lost traction, absolutely impressed.

I have about 2K miles up on my winters but it's barely, if at all, noticeable by just looking at them. They still look new to me.

I'd second that ...I have mine on since the middle of October in all weathers and they have perfomed at least as well and mostly better than the previous Hankook summer tyres.

The improved aquaplaning probably mostly has to do with the fact that my summers were down to just under 4mm, whereas the new winters have over 8 mm ...double the room for water to disperse.

As my van isn't exactly high performance, I'm planning to leave the winter tyres on all year round and probably replace them with winter tyres again when the time comes.

Looking at my driving over the years I'd say the ratio of driving on moist/wet/flooded/cold/icy/snowy roads vs driving on warm, dry, or boiling tar is about 80 to 20 ...so winters is the way to go for me

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

Heard something interesting from a friend today insured with Aviva.

During a call he asked about snow sock type products and was told that his (comprehensive) policy did not allow their use

It seems strange that an insuranace company would have a problem with drivers using something which could make driving in snow safer.

He was also told that use of winter tyres is ok but has decided to seek written confirmation just in case.

Has anyone else checked with their insurance company? I'm going to get all season tyres, but think I'll check just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It's good to get a second opinion, as I had the opposite feedback from one of my drivers during the week.

We eventually got him on to Conti WinterContact tyres just before Christmas and he has been delighted with the performance in the snow/ice, but rang on Wednesday morning (I think) to say he was sliding all over the place. Temperature at the time was around 13 degrees and wet, and he was on the M1 heading to Belfast.

Even though it's still pretty mild my advice was to stick with them - looking at this, it looks like it could be good advice. Their long range forecast was 1 day out for the bad snow in December, so I'm expecting the worst.

Think I'll get that Pathfinder fixed that came back yesterday and make sure we don't sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Heard something interesting from a friend today insured with Aviva.

During a call he asked about snow sock type products and was told that his (comprehensive) policy did not allow their use

It seems strange that an insuranace company would have a problem with drivers using something which could make driving in snow safer.

He was also told that use of winter tyres is ok but has decided to seek written confirmation just in case.

Has anyone else checked with their insurance company? I'm going to get all season tyres, but think I'll check just in case...

if u think about it if they wont allow winter tyres as there non OEM then the only tyres u can fit is OEM ones be they summer,allseasion or winters :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

I have to agree there. I had a good drive down the wet back roads from Slane the other day and my All Season Hankooks were very good. I began to forget I had them on which is a good sign. No surprises or loss of grip on the wet and heavily wet roads. Just drive and get on with it. No sense of anything giving away.

Overall I am very very happy with their wet weather performance. I have driven through some huge masses of water on the motorway and the car has stayed very planted where on my Summers I would have felt iffy. Tread depth does have a part to play here also but still, the water dispersing abilities are by no means bad.

On the dry they are better then my Summers in 10 degree less temperatures. I couldn't give you a good comparison as its been so long since I drove the Summers in these temps and tested them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Fitted goodyear vector 4 seasons on the front of my van last week ,grip and brakeing in wet is excellent ,have always put michelins on it up to now, i mainly drive on back roads and driving through standing water has no effect on steering . I bought them online from eiretires and was happy with the service , 205/ 65/ 15 cost 103 each delivered , van passed test with the tyres on so no problems there either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Stealthirl wrote: »
    if u think about it if they wont allow winter tyres as there non OEM then the only tyres u can fit is OEM ones be they summer,allseasion or winters :rolleyes:

Agreed. With that logic you wouldn't be permitted to fit directional tyres if the manufacturer didn't fit them. Imo, the insurance controversy in the UK is about profit, claim dodging and not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

that's gas cos Axa were promoting them - Axa customers were even getting a discount from one of the re-sellers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Recently seen the remains a few snow socks still attached to some cars on my daily commute.

Have to say I notice the Bridgestone Blizzaks I have on the back are very soft, was over taking a truck recently and although no hairy moments, the car seemed to wave or tail (??) at the back a bit as I over took and turned back in something I never had before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Bloody idiots going around the town here with snow socks on.

Ground frost in the centre of town, honestly, snow socks?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

just to report Vredestein wintrac extremes holding up fine in the recently balmy 11/12 degree days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

tossy wrote: »
    just to report Vredestein wintrac extremes holding up fine in the recently balmy 11/12 degree days.

I'm using the same and can report same :)

In fact I think they are better in the wet than my Dunlop Grandtrek summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Absurdum wrote: »
    I'm using the same and can report same :)

In fact I think they are better in the wet than my Dunlop Grandtrek summers.

The are definitely not better in the wet than F1 asymetrics but the are certainly adequate and not scary. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭CompleteCarGuy

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think Mr Comyn might actually be on this forum quite a bit, albeit incognito.:)

Hiya - yea I am on this forum!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Hiya - yea I am on this forum!!

Ssshhhh sssshhhhh everybody......teacher's here now!!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Recently seen the remains a few snow socks still attached to some cars on my daily commute.

Have to say I notice the Bridgestone Blizzaks I have on the back are very soft, was over taking a truck recently and although no hairy moments, the car seemed to wave or tail (??) at the back a bit as I over took and turned back in something I never had before.

I have Michelin Alpin A4s, they're a bit 'squidgier' over 140km/h. Mind, they're 16" as opposed to my usual 17" too.

Advertisement