Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter tyres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

MarkoC wrote: »
    Rally cars have more power and they run even narrower tyres, just think and make some research before you laugh again :)
    Im not saying you should go for 195 but as narrow as possible for particular car.

Please just stop, you made a sweeping statement about all cars with no tailoring for any one car and this one is not normal in any manner. You cannot put on narrower tires on this car. I dont care what a Rally car can or cannot do, its a purpose built vehicle this is a road car. Ice racers can put on pizza cutter tires and race around no problem, it means nothing when Im telling you the ABS and TC system expect wide tyres and register errors when too narrow tires are put on. And I have tested this.

Ive already made it clear that 265 is as "narrow as possible". Are you really tell me to do "research" on my own car that Ive basically restored from a life of abuse as a "forecourt hopper" in the UK? Bearing in mind till 5min ago you had no idea what car I was even talking about.

Man up and accept you made a statement without getting all the facts. Im not debating that narrower tires generally and within reason should displace more water/slush then wide tyres, but what I am debating is your knee-jerk response that 265s on a 850CSi would be similar to 195s. Its just absurd.

EDIT for EDITy fun's sake
    Myth: Putting "Fact" and "Myth" in a forum post makes people think you are quoting a source of authority.
    Fact: No it doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Matt Simis wrote: »
    To reinforce this, the ABS and TC system will go haywire if the wrong width is installed. I tried 255s previously, ABS and TC intermittant problems and possible to not only loose traction but actually spin the car in 3rd gear in Summer mornings..

Can you explain me, how ABS and TC sensors will know that you have narrower tyres? (I assume you keep wheel diameter the same).
    And just to clarify, modern Winter tyres are designed to bite with their splines, you do not need to go skinny tyres.

Looks like all advices you are giving, are copied from tyre marketing and tyre commercials.
    No. The more narrow the tyre is, the better it is on the snow. It has nothing to do with technology. It's all about physics.

CiniO wrote: »
    Can you explain me, how ABS and TC sensors will know that you have narrower tyres? (I assume you keep wheel diameter the same).
    Christ, I dont think the rest of the world cares, this is derailing a perfectly good thread. However, while you are mostly correct, what you 2 are ignoring is the fact an 850CSi runs a heavily staggered setup, much wider rears to the fronts. To put 195s on the rear would require some near bicycle width tires on the front. Obviously you cannot do this and any compromises you try to make introduce understeer, TC errors and other weird crap. I had this debate myself when I got the car with other owners, they were right, I was wrong, its not as simple as adding up the diameters.
    CiniO wrote: »
    Looks like all advices you are giving, are copied from tyre marketing and tyre commercials.
    No. The more narrow the tyre is, the better it is on the snow. It has nothing to do with technology. It's all about physics.
    Now thats just petty snipping. Im fully open I get most of my info from other users. Some info I do get from manufacturers documents, Im not some tinfoil hat type that thinks everything is a conspiracy to get money from plebs.

And again, I never said the wider tyres are better, I said I cannot use narrower. However wide performance has improved vastly in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Matt Simis wrote: »

And again, I never said the wider tyres are better, I said I cannot use narrower. However wide performance has improved vastly in recent times.
    Its weirrd that you cant, people around the world can ... mainly on 225's n winter. Strange that youre the first one who came up with all this type of faults the narrow tyres will cause. Whatever, maybe your car is really so special :cool:
    Too much power cant handle narrower tyres ?In winter ? Sry its funny for me now as the wider the tyres are in winter the less control you have over the car ... Power and torq like you mentioned before means absolutely nothing in winter, its all about your your head and foot.

Its weirrd that you cant, people around the world can ... mainly on 225's n winter. Strange that youre the first one who came up with all this type of faults the narrow tyres will cause. Whatever, maybe your car is really so special :cool:
    Too much power cant handle narrower tyres ?In winter ? Sry its funny for me now as the wider the tyres are in winter the less control you have over the car ... Power and torq like you mentioned before means absolutely nothing in winter, its all about your your head and foot.

See post above. And yeah, an 850CSi is pretty special thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭safetymanager

I've just returned from Germany and even though conditions there are about the same as here the impact on life in general is zero. The mandatory winter tyres enable things to go on as normal, no school closures, no one missing work, public transport running normally etc. etc. Maybe we should take it upon ourselves to put winter tyres on our cars and get on with things. We can't depend on the government to make our lives better by making winter tyres mandatory, let's just do it for ourselves !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can be hard to get decent brand tyre here at times, never mind winter tyres. Does anywhere here stock them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a set of winter tyres (ordering online). My experience from the states is that it's best to have a spare set of rims to put them on so you only need to pay the one fitting cost and then change sets yourself as need be,

We had a Skoda Fabia, 14in rims. I've checked online, found loads of alloy sites, but so far no place offering to sell standard rims. Any advice as to where I should look? Would your average tyre supplier have rims to buy or should I look for scrappage?

H Would your average tyre supplier have rims to buy or should I look for scrappage?
    Scrapyard would be your friend here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Scrapyard would be your friend here :)

Yeah prob any VW or skoda 14 inch will do the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a set of winter tyres (ordering online). My experience from the states is that it's best to have a spare set of rims to put them on so you only need to pay the one fitting cost and then change sets yourself as need be,

We had a Skoda Fabia, 14in rims. I've checked online, found loads of alloy sites, but so far no place offering to sell standard rims. Any advice as to where I should look? Would your average tyre supplier have rims to buy or should I look for scrappage?

http://www.reifen.com/en/CompleteWheelST/ListTyreSizes/Skoda/Fabia/Skoda-Fabia-Combi-1-4-Fabia-6Y-55kw-2002-2005-169-170kmh-1390ccm/14203?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

the profile isn't that low.
    It's a clio 172.

You reckon 195/65 would be ok when I'm used to 195/50?
    The tires are pretty close to the arches as is. Not extremely but..

So they'll fit fine? Might order in 4 in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

If you're lucky your car handbook will list alternative sizes for winter tyres.

In case of SAAB 9-5 Aero for example:

Summer: 225/45/17
    Winter: 215/55/16

For models with smaller brakes (that fit in 15 inch rims) they also list 195/65/15 as an alternative size.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

samih wrote: »
    If you're lucky your car handbook will list alternative sizes for winter tyres.

In case of SAAB 9-5 Aero for example:

Summer: 225/45/17
    Winter: 215/55/16

For models with smaller brakes (that fit in 15 inch rims) they also list 195/65/15 as an alternative size.
    I've a 3 series E46, is there any restrictions as to what winter tyres i can get?

or should i just use the site give above (www.reifen.com).

Does anyone have any opinion on Vrdedestein snowtrac 3 wheels v Nokian WR G2's?

Edit: does anyone know what the kw after the model type refers to on that site?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any opinion on Vrdedestein snowtrac 3 wheels v Nokian WR G2's?
    Between these 2 Nokian all the way.

SV wrote: »
    the profile isn't that low.
    It's a clio 172.

You reckon 195/65 would be ok when I'm used to 195/50?
    The tires are pretty close to the arches as is. Not extremely but..

60mm increase in overall diameter, that's over 2 inches. Bit much if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Between these 2 Nokian all the way.

Have you bought any, and if you where did you get them from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Only problem with winter tyres in Ireland, is to find any shop that has any...Even their British suppliers are unable to provide them a delivery ETA due to even more harsh snow/weather conditions in the UK.

I have the feeling the snow is gonna last until January anyway, so potentially we are talking about 2 months of snow nightmare in Ireland.

If anyone knows a shop with a large selection of winter tires in stock let me know...

RoverJames wrote: »
    60mm increase in overall diameter, that's over 2 inches. Bit much if you ask me.

Yeah definitely far too much.
    I think I'll just go for the firestones that are in my size as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

bmstuff wrote: »
    If anyone knows a shop with a large selection of winter tires in stock let me know...
    I know a place in Limerick that has a few sets of 195/65/R15 at least. Can't remember the brand, wasn't a household name - could have been a brand more popular in eastern-european

SV wrote: »
    Yeah definitely far too much.
    I think I'll just go for the firestones that are in my size as is.

Weird you asking advices but you dont listen them, why to ask if you made your decidion anyway ....
    My previous post had perfect link for tyres which suit you and are FAR better than your choice. Nokians in that price range are unbeatable and well proved good tyres, Google will help you here to find out more,

like i said 185/55/15 are perfect winter tyres for your car and i agree that 195/65/15's are a bit high for your factory lowered car.
    Over all i dont give a **** :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

bmstuff wrote: »
    The Nokian importer in Ireland is:
    Agri-gear ltd.
    www.agrigear.net
    Kells road, Bailieboro Co. Cavan
    Tel. 353 42 966 6444

I rang them last year looking for some WR G2's they had some in stock but not the size I was looking for, so I got them from Eiretyres instead.

Don't know what the situation is this year but it might be worth giving them a call.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Do-more wrote: »
    I rang them last year looking for some WR G2's they had some in stock but not the size I was looking for, so I got them from Eiretyres instead.

Do you find them good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Does anyone know what sort of measurement in winter tyres you can put on a E46, 3 series coupe. will they take 15's or is it only 16's plus? and if im running 225/45, am i restricted to this or could i get a 195/65 for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Am I correct in thinking that any tyre that has a tread pattern can be called a "winter tyre"...so technically, formula 1 rain tyres could be described as a winter tyre?
    I notice that Goodyear Ultragrips and Nokian WR G2s both have a Symbol (a showflake in front of a mountain peak). Anybody know the significance of this?

• Advertisement

exaisle wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that any tyre that has a tread pattern can be called a "winter tyre"...so technically, formula 1 rain tyres could be described as a winter tyre?
    I notice that Goodyear Ultragrips and Nokian WR G2s both have a Symbol (a showflake in front of a mountain peak). Anybody know the significance of this?
    How can formula 1 rain tyres can be winter tyres ? Is there ANY logic what you sayng now ?

Advertisement