Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter tyres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

12 people lost more this morning in Youghal (small toen) than if they would spent on winter tyres ... Seems we need more victims so people will understand whats waste and whats not.

Media does VERY poor work in these days about winter safety options, thats sad ...

@ MagicMarker

Yes they absolutely fine for summer, just a bit noisier and worn a bit faster. In that case you wont drive on them over 2 years, depends how much you driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    so we have to change the tyres for 2-3 weeks of the year ??? then put them back in the garage until next christmas..

they're compulsary in europe because it's way colder in central europe throughout the winter months..

give this cold snaps another week and sur knowing our weather we'll not see snow again until this time next year...

we've had snow for 2 years in a row now and before that I can hardly remember having proper snow for years...

it'd be a complete waste of time in Ireland unless our climate starts to take a real change for colder, harsher winters.. and until that happens having winter tyres would be a waste for most Irish motorists

When are people going to start releasing that winter is not defined as or confined to snow? i had my winter tyres on a good week or two before the snow,average temps in the morning and late at night (when i do moist of my driving) was 5-7 degrees,roads were wet but not icey and even then i was glad i had fitted winter tyres,early in the mornings when it was maybe 2 degrees or so the performed better than the goodyear F1 which is my favorite tyre of all time :D

So i think this idea of needing winter tyres for 2-3 weeks is a little too 'Irish' for me the fact of the matter is from october to feburary/March this country is perfect for a modern winter tyre,one that is good in snow/ice but great in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

so we have to change the tyres for 2-3 weeks of the year ??? then put them back in the garage until next christmas..

they're compulsary in europe because it's way colder in central europe throughout the winter months..

give this cold snaps another week and sur knowing our weather we'll not see snow again until this time next year...

we've had snow for 2 years in a row now and before that I can hardly remember having proper snow for years...

it'd be a complete waste of time in Ireland unless our climate starts to take a real change for colder, harsher winters.. and until that happens having winter tyres would be a waste for most Irish motorists

Winters tyres are recommended from that time when temperatures start to average 10c or below. They are also superior in wet weather, something we normally experience around here. Winter tyres are definitely no waste of time and would highly increase road safety in a country with in general poor road surfaces, no fancy tarmac that "absorbs" water, and still a large population of drivers who will run their tyres down to the canvas...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Haven't read the whole thread so this may have been answered, but presumably winter tyres are grand for summer use also?
    No. They wear a lot quicker, are a lot noisier, and have less grip (unsure about this last point?).

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

esel wrote: »
    No. They wear a lot quicker, are a lot noisier, and have less grip (unsure about this last point?).

Ant they have a lot of wear on the roads,thats why its only compulsory to use it from october to April in Norway,but you will find tyres without the spikes for the hole year.;)

• Advertisement

If you had to choose 1 set for all year round driving in Ireland you could easily use winter tyres. The stopping distance in dry conditions is marginally longer and during extreme cornering the road holding might not be as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Not all winter tyres are the same. There are just as many differences between them as there are with summer tyres.

Some are really noisy, others aren't ...some are really good in the wet, others aren't, etc, etc.

Due to the softer compound winter tyres will wear a bit more in the summer than summer tyres, but Irish summers aren't much to write home about heatwise either so the losses might be bearable.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

+1 I put part worn winters on last week, big difference don't drive any quicker. just don't feel like I'm heading for the hedge at every corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

tossy wrote: »
    When are people going to start releasing that winter is not defined as or confined to snow? i had my winter tyres on a good week or two before the snow,average temps in the morning and late at night (when i do moist of my driving) was 5-7 degrees,roads were wet but not icey and even then i was glad i had fitted winter tyres,early in the mornings when it was maybe 2 degrees or so the performed better than the goodyear F1 which is my favorite tyre of all time :D

So i think this idea of needing winter tyres for 2-3 weeks is a little too 'Irish' for me the fact of the matter is from october to feburary/March this country is perfect for a modern winter tyre,one that is good in snow/ice but great in the wet.

+1
    like I said above, winters are actually cheaper than half decent summer tyres for my car, so over the lifetime of both sets I'll probably break even, taking into account the cost of getting the tyres changed over twice a year

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lameire

OK

After reading whole way through this thread I am so going to get winter tyres for my 1999 4dr nissan almera.
    I live 650ft above sea level in a rural area currently covered in snow and in order to access the 'main' road, I need to climb up to 1000ft before coming back down the other side.
    NO CHANCE of doing that now-only tractors going here and the odd 4 wheel drive! Its kind of like a mini sally gap!

I have summer tyres (dont know make) , its a rear wheel drive and the size is 175/65...R14

I note previous recommendations of Continental, Nokian, Bridgestone & goodyear tyres.

Wondered which would be best for my circs i.e a lot of snow, really really icy, many hills and only about 3miles of 'main rd' rest is country rds and compacted icy/snowy steep hills -untreated.

Also, what size tyres are suitable for my car?

Where can I buy the steels/wheels you speak of?Are they the same as steel rims or alloy rims?

cheers

Les

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

lameire wrote: »
    OK

After reading whole way through this thread I am so going to get winter tyres for my 1999 4dr nissan almera.
    I live 650ft above sea level in a rural area currently covered in snow and in order to access the 'main' road, I need to climb up to 1000ft before coming back down the other side.
    NO CHANCE of doing that now-only tractors going here and the odd 4 wheel drive! Its kind of like a mini sally gap!

I have summer tyres (dont know make) , its a rear wheel drive and the size is 175/65...R14
    Almeras aren't RWD, They're FWD

Almeras aren't RWD, They're FWD

OMG:eek:
    Are you sure? Mine is 11 years old and if you are correct, this just proves what I have said in earlier threads that I know NOTHING about cars!
    I wondered why my car seemed to cope better than some other cars in the snow/ice!
    Must've been because its FWD

Now I am TRULY embarrassed by this:(

Les

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

lameire wrote: »
    OMG:eek:
    Are you sure? Mine is 11 years old and if you are correct, this just proves what I have said in earlier threads that I know NOTHING about cars!
    I wondered why my car seemed to cope better than some other cars in the snow/ice!
    Must've been because its FWD

Now I am TRULY embarrassed by this:(

Les

Yup, all almeras are FWD

Still searching for the best price for tyres.
    Eire tyres seem to have best availability BUT are quite expensive.
    Other websites out of stock
    Came across 're-moulds' on eiretyres website via link from delti.

Seem quite reasonable & have M&S marking.
    They are Winter Tact(never heard of them)

Anyone know if these are any good?

If not, may just get tyres from UK site and delivery to mum in Scotland & ask her to send over to me.

Les

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Consider that winter tyres are better the summers under approx 7 degrees. Then consider...
    A look at average temperatures over the years suggests that they will dip below the seven-degree mark in five to seven months of the year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2010/1201/1224284474032.html

Look at the daily mean temps
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin#Climate

That said I don't think a lot of people will change. Its just too expensive to have two sets of tyres unless your forced to for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

A-Trak wrote: »
    What did they cost guil, and did they fit and balance them?
    What depot as well btw.

45 each for 205/55/16
    Fitted and balanced in tuckmiltown
    It's just off exit 6 of the n7

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

guil wrote: »
    got 2 part worn dunlop winter tyres from autodepot today, the difference in them is unreal
    cant believe it

How much did this set you back?

brennarr wrote: »
    How much did this set you back?
    look at the post above your one

look at the post above your one

Just only put on 2, not a full set?

yeah just 2, maybe 4 would stop it sliding or whatever but i dont plan on driving that fast

• Advertisement

yeah just 2, maybe 4 would stop it sliding or whatever but i dont plan on driving that fast

Wonder what the insurance companies think about fitting just 2 winter tyres, especially when things go pearshape. Have you had a look on youtube for example what fitting just 2 winter tyres can lead to? I know I'm playing devils advocate here but only because I thought of doing the same thing untill I strated to look in to it a bit deeper.

Did I reed that somebody is considdering re-moulds, omg...

things can go pearshaped with a full set of winter tyres aswell
    i've covered lots of miles in this weather now and last january in a truck more so than my car, i had no trouble with the previous tyres other than little or no traction for getting out of places

things can go pearshaped with a full set of winter tyres aswell
    i've covered lots of miles in this weather now and last january in a truck more so than my car, i had no trouble with the previous tyres other than little or no traction for getting out of places

I'm sure that's the right approach. I just hope that when things go wrong because you were made to hit the brakes by an other road users actions, and you end up in a "situation", you don't get hammered by your insurance for driving around with a potentially dangerous combination of tyres.

i have a car with drums on the back, the rear does little to no braking so whats ur point
    also read the road ahead and most of the time ya wont get any surprises

i have a car with drums on the back, the rear does little to no braking so whats ur point
    also read the road ahead and most of the time ya wont get any surprises

Wonder what wheels yout put those winter tyres on, anyway, I wish you all the best and safe driving.

they're on the front, in one of the posts above i meant to say maybe 4 would stop the back sliding

they're on the front, in one of the posts above i meant to say maybe 4 would stop the back sliding

By putting these tyres on the front you have actually only made things worse in combination with the drum brakes on the back which, according to you, don't do much of the breaking anyway. I could tell you now that the experts would actually recommend you putting the winter tyres on the back but I am afraid that that would lead to more disagreement. I respect the fact that you probably cover quite a few miles. I do on average 40-45K miles a year in a car only.
    If I were you I would travel at a slow speed and be very carefull when breaking as you now have a lot of stopping power at the front and virtually none at the back...be safe

Some good info here and many more places on the web;

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=120

like i said i dont plan on driving fast in the snow so it wont be a problem

That'll work as long as you are the only one on the road...anyway, let's end it here and agree to disagree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Wait till theres no snow, just ice like it was down here yesterday.
    People were driving 10 mph and still crashing. BTW you run on the same speed, so leave your car home and run to work safely :)

Advertisement