Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter tyres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

MarkoC wrote: »
    All season tyres are NOT suitable for ice and snow !
    So think twice before you purchase them only to replace your summer tyres because of the winter.

Videos posted here many times already where these tyres are compared to each other. The best all season tyres are better than worse second hand winter tyres (talking here about minimum 4mm thread and cheap chinese winter tyres) but only on coldish (C+) tarmac, not on ice or snow, FACT !

Not really.

I hate the way that we use these videos to prove points. In those videos one set of All Season tyres was used to demonstrate the capability of a whole category of tyres at a time. Indeed it is likely that most All Seasons are messy in snow and ice but I would be very surprised if they actually carried the Mountain and Snowflake mark in the first place.

There are All Seasons with the Mountain and Snowflake mark and now that I have a Hankook H730 All Season on each corner I can tell you that they are very good on the snow and decent on the ice. Not as good as full winters I will say openly but still very very good so far.

The level of grip I had driving across regional roads over the weekend was amazing.

Im only picking at your post because you used a video that used one tyre to evaluate a whole category and also that you yourself have decided that all All Seasons are much in snow and ice.

Tyres can only get the Mountain and Snowflake mark if they pass strict tests and there are all seasons that have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I have to wonder does MarkoC have some kind of agenda involving winter tyres or has he simply spent a crap load on them and now feels he has to justify it?

It seems he's come into his own realm talking about winter tyres.

Kinda funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

SV wrote: »
    I have to wonder does MarkoC have some kind of agenda involving winter tyres or has he simply spent a crap load on them and now feels he has to justify it?

I'm guessing he's a foreign national who probably has a lot of experience of driving in snow/ice

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I'm guessing he's a foreign national who probably has a lot of experience of driving in snow/ice
    True :) And i dont know even who sells any winter tyres in Ireland...Well, read about few posted here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lyndonjones

I have been skimming through this thread and would disagree with the previous poster[That is SV], this thread is about winter tyres and their benefits and from viewing video clips online, discussing with friends and viewing various threads on this issue I think winter tyres are the way to go.

I have spent €180 on new tyres in October BUT I feel that for peace of mind I will invest the €400 on a set of 4 decent winter tyres and have them fitted between October to end of February each year.

Last Tuesday in Glanmire, Co. Cork the Barnavarra hill was treacherous in the space of 60 minutes and I would not even attempt some of the roads in the area.

It is a lot of money but as pointed out by another poster the damage a "shunt", crash or tip would do is much greater!

I'd guess a set of winter tyres could last 2-4 years if changed each spring.

If I don't invest this year by next autumn I will have purchased them.

It is IMHO a no brainer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

I have been skimming through this thread and would disagree with the previous poster[That is SV], this thread is about winter tyres and their benefits and from viewing video clips online, discussing with friends and viewing various threads on this issue I think winter tyres are the way to go.

I have spent €180 on new tyres in October BUT I feel that for peace of mind I will invest the €400 on a set of 4 decent winter tyres and have them fitted between October to end of February each year.

Last Tuesday in Glanmire, Co. Cork the Barnavarra hill was treacherous in the space of 60 minutes and I would not even attempt some of the roads in the area.

It is a lot of money but as pointed out by another poster the damage a "shunt", crash or tip would do is much greater!

I'd guess a set of winter tyres could last 2-4 years if changed each spring.

If I don't invest this year by next autumn I will have purchased them.

It is IMHO a no brainer

Where are you going to get those at that money? Most suppliers are now telling us that there will be no new stock in Ireland for a good while, the largest whole saler in belfast told me today that there was a shortage of millions of winter tyres at the moment. The tyres available are going up in price and I am now struggling to find anything half decent for less than 600 Euro. I also think winter tyres are the way to go but 4 all weather tyres are still better than the worn summer jobs I have on at the moment. I could do a year with the all weather ones and get a set of winter ones early next year.

I suppose "small" tyres could be got at 100 Euro a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

He is from Est land where they get serious snow and have proper driver tests/education so i guess he might have a clue what he is talking about.

It's not getting easier but I've now swung to the Nankang SV-2, decent test results and on the money at about 148.00 a corner and we can get the VAT off. What you think Marco ha ha, us foreigners :D

Biglad wrote: »
    Where are you going to get those at that money? Most suppliers are now telling us that there will be no new stock in Ireland for a good while, the largest whole saler in belfast told me today that there was a shortage of millions of winter tyres at the moment. The tyres available are going up in price and I am now struggling to find anything half decent for less than 600 Euro. I also think winter tyres are the way to go but 4 all weather tyres are still better than the worn summer jobs I have on at the moment. I could do a year with the all weather ones and get a set of winter ones early next year.

I suppose "small" tyres could be got at 100 Euro a corner.

I was on eiretyres.com and I was able to select a set (Qty 4) of Nokian tyres (195/65 R15) for €99 each, including Shipping n Vat to Ireland.

'Tis a lot of money but I think it is the sensible thing to do.

I was on eiretyres.com and I was able to select a set (Qty 4) of Nokian tyres (195/65 R15) for €99 each, including Shipping n Vat to Ireland.

Good man, that's the advantage of the 195 over 225 I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

This is the cheapest size :D Lucky one!

It's not getting easier but I've now swung to the Nankang SV-2, decent test results and on the money at about 148.00 a corner and we can get the VAT off. What you think Marco ha ha, us foreigners :D
    Nankangs got not the best results in Scandinavia tyre tests and in peoples opinions, but they are defenetly over any "all season tyres" you can get here :)

Depends of the tyre size now but i think theres way better options for the money out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Nankangs got not the best results in Scandinavia tyre tests and in peoples opinions, but they are defenetly over any "all season tyres" you can get here :)

Pretty good reviews here for them...

www.tyretest.com/wintercar_tyres/nankang/snow_sv_2/index.html

WINTERHAWK 2 EVO 195/65 R15 91H M+S marking

Also on Eiretyres.com

They have the M+S marking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Very useful thread, thanks folks!

Found eiretyres had stock and weren't wildly crazy (500 euro for four corners for my Corolla verso, which otherwise is bruuutal in snow). But comparing the same tyres on the German site from the same company is rather an eye opener!:eek:

Bought them all the same :rolleyes:

Depends of the tyre size now but i think theres way better options for the money out there.

I'm listening bud. My current tyres are 225/45/17, if I look at let's say 205/50/17 there isn't that much choice. What other size would you recommend to look at...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

... but how many people have tried lots of different tyres ? Any winter is going to look "great in snow" compared to what you're used to. Personally, I'd sooner read what AA/ADAC/other motoring organisations have to say. And, by and large, low-cost Asian tyres don't get great reviews

Really `? Good results compared to what ?
    Compare them now to cheapest Nokians or Michelins or whatever good brand tyres on the market which should be in the same price range or maybe even cheaper and tell me again :)
    Anything over 2 points is crap if we talking about good winter tyres and 2.5 points on theyr scale is a disaster :p Well, not in Ireland, heres every winter tyre good comparing to summer tyres which nearly all people are driving on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

BostonB wrote: »
    The point is which do you prefer coming towards you,

average Joe with winters

average Joe with summers

I have no control over what another driver does.
    Basic rule.
    Agreed.
    I'm listening bud. My current tyres are 225/45/17, if I look at let's say 205/50/17 there isn't that much choice. What other size would you recommend to look at...

I have the same tyre size. Also wondering the options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

From an MB forum..

"Hello everyone, Ive recently just put a set of 4 Nankang SV2 Winter tyres on my w203 C320. Ive got the 17 inch Amg wheels, they normally have 245/40 on the rear but i changed them to the same as the front which is 225/45. This is well within the limitations of width (225 can go up to a 9 inch width wheel - my AMG's rears are 8.5) and with a 45 profile gives me the same rolling radius.
    The results are amazing! I cant believe how good they are! I have a 26 mile commute each way to work, most of which is on country roads and after a few bad/slow/scary trips in fairly mild snow n ice, i decided I had to do something about it. (orginally i had just planned to take the wifes car but unfortunately she has a Mazda RX8 which was even worse than the Merc!) So I got 4 winter Nankang SV2 tyres from mytyres.co.uk for £336 fitted, I have since been in Heavy Snow, slush, and bad ice and the car hasn't spun up, skidded, fish tailed or got stuck, it just feels solid - a million miles away from how it felt before changing.
    I have never put a cheaper brand of tyre on any of my cars before and I was a little sceptical, but for the 3 - 4 months a year of use they will get I thought it was worth a go and they really do work well!"

• Advertisement

Alternatives according to book for on SAAB 93 2008 224/45/17:

215/50/17
    225/50/17

The Ice Bear W30 get's a decent write up in the 215/50/17,about 162.00 each (swallow) :D

Alternatives according to book for on SAAB 93 2008 224/45/17:

215/50/17
    225/50/17

The Ice Bear W30 get's a decent write up in the 215/50/17,about 162.00 each (swallow) :D

yeah 162 *4 = 648
    And then if you want spare rims !?! = $$$$$

Snow socks, though inferior, cost me EUR100

I would look for 16" or even 15" spare wheels and tyres for them, comes out cheaper even with smaller wheels you have to purchase then.
    Now are your current tyres factory original ones ?

For example my Audi came out with 16" wheels originally, at the moment running on 17" Audi original but RS wheels but for the winter ideal would be 15" which are also manufacturer reccommended size.
    So i would go with 195/65/15 -s, depends of course of your car brakes, will they fit under 15" wheels.

Oh and plenty choice in that size and good prices !

And if you running on expensive dream car where you cant fit smaller wheels, i would never go for cheap crap anyway :D
    From an MB forum..
    This fellas only experiences with winter tyres, wonder why he is so happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Effervescent

Hi was hoping for some advice on winter tyres for my Nissan Qashqai (215/60 R17). Can't get any joy from local tyre dealers/garages so have been looking at these tyres on Eiretyres.

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 4x4 215/60 R17 96H MZ
    Nokian WR G2 Sport Utility 215/60 R17 100V XL M+S marking

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

from BMW forum:
    "I just got my winter tires on yesterday. Driving on the packed snow and ice has significantly improved. Anyone who thinks all season tires are good enough hasn't lived in a place that it gets really bad like the snow-belts of the great lakes or in the mountains. Buffalo NY got 42" in the last few days.

I have driven all three of my cars in the last 24 hrs, all on the same roads. The olds 88 just got the snow tires, so it never slips, even with FWD, which is annoying when going up hills. The Jeep is 4wd all the time, but the all season tires slid around A LOT. You end up doing 4wd power slides at ever intersection, which sometimes is fun, but sometimes not. The e38 was really bad with the Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires. The winters are going on this weekend for sure!

As with any winter driving experience, use your head and don't drive too fast in the wrong situation. My local interstate shut down twice in the last day because of Florida idiots who go 15 mph over the speed limit with summer tires on a slushy hwy."

Hi was hoping for some advice on winter tyres for my Nissan Qashqai (215/60 R17). Can't get any joy from local tyre dealers/garages so have been looking at these tyres on Eiretyres.

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 4x4 215/60 R17 96H MZ
    Nokian WR G2 Sport Utility 215/60 R17 100V XL M+S marking

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Go for the Nokians

yeah 162 *4 = 648
    And then if you want spare rims !?! = $$$$$

Snow socks, though inferior, cost me EUR100

For me snow socks would be an absolute waste of time. I am (supposed to be) on the road a lot and I need the comfort of knowing that whatever wintery conditions I bump in to my tyres can more or less deal with. I don't want to get out of the car to put socks on (lol) and then take them of again etc.
    I have had plenty of experience with snow chains going skying in Austria and the on/of business is a pain.

I can see how it can get some people out of precarious sistuations but again, when you're doing donegal-belfas/Dublin/Cork you don't want socks other than the ones on your feet.;)

Piri wrote: »
    You end up doing 4wd power slides at ever intersection, which sometimes is fun, but sometimes not.

:D:D....know exactly what you mean....when its fun its ALOT of fun, when its not, its really, REALLY not.....:D

from BMW forum:
    "I just got my winter tires on yesterday. Driving on the packed snow and ice has significantly improved. Anyone who thinks all season tires are good enough hasn't lived in a place that it gets really bad like the snow-belts of the great lakes or in the mountains. Buffalo NY got 42" in the last few days.

I have driven all three of my cars in the last 24 hrs, all on the same roads. The olds 88 just got the snow tires, so it never slips, even with FWD, which is annoying when going up hills. The Jeep is 4wd all the time, but the all season tires slid around A LOT. You end up doing 4wd power slides at ever intersection, which sometimes is fun, but sometimes not. The e38 was really bad with the Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires. The winters are going on this weekend for sure!

As with any winter driving experience, use your head and don't drive too fast in the wrong situation. My local interstate shut down twice in the last day because of Florida idiots who go 15 mph over the speed limit with summer tires on a slushy hwy."

Can't really compare that with Ireland bud, 42" of snow. We get a couple of inches of snow which we can sort of handle with driving carefully, when it starts compacting or melting the trouble really starts. Yesterday and today were the worst with black ice and refrozen slush turning in to ice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Effervescent

Go for the Nokians

Thanks - can I ask why - have you used these?

Advertisement