Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Security Test??

• 05-01-2010 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

WTF?, http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0105/dorset.html, heard this, this morning, WTF were they up to?, planting explosives on unsuspecting passengers, wonder has it happened before.

"The Slovakian man was arrested at the scene, but gardaí are now satisfied that he is innocent and he was released from custody this afternoon. He will not face charges.
    The Department of Foreign Affairs said the Slovakian Minister for the Interior has conveyed his Government's profound regret for this incident to the Justice Minister Dermot Ahern.
    Minister Ahern said he was very concerned about the fact that the gardaí were not alerted for three days and has asked for a full report."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

The first thing that sprang to mind was the other man arrested in Detroit, the man who was arrested in the seperation area when the bomb sniffing dog showed interest in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This is not on at all. Fair enough, getting people to carry explosives to test security systems is ok as long as those people are in on it....i.e. someone undercover doing it to test security. But doing this to passengers without their knowledge is appalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Who are you more upset at the Slovakian government or the the massively and obviously flawed Irish Security?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

I have heard about this being done before with illegal narcotic substances like cannabis, cocaine etc. and people were found out by security on the other end so to speak, so there is precedent, can't find the link though.

Thing is, did he unknowingly have it in his underpants? That would be some skid boy, 90 grammes, the equivalent of nearly 4 oz of a skid, jaysus....

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

oh very nice indeed.i was sitting there for like 5 minutes wondering why the hell would the cops report that incident to the newspapers instead of keeping it quiet.
    then i realised what else is going on around the world.
    coincedently there are these new biometric scanners coming out.
    oh wait ireland has a security issue in dorset street! we need bio scanners to stop the terrorists!
    i might sound crazy but end of the day if alot of people see security holes and then terrorist thrown in to boot who is going to strongly appose a few biometric scanners that RTE will probably report are safe to use regularly.
    maybe im being over the top.i just dont want anymore security in this country.
    if some other country wish to bomb ireland i would think they would do so for a very very good reason indeed.
    speaking of security its my opinion that any terrorist attack will come from cia or the english/euro version of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Torakx wrote: »
    oh very nice indeed.i was sitting there for like 5 minutes wondering why the hell would the cops report that incident to the newspapers instead of keeping it quiet.
    oh wait ireland has a security issue in dorset street! we need bio scanners to stop the terrorists!
    i might sound crazy but end of the day if alot of people see security holes and then terrorist thrown in to boot who is going to strongly appose a few biometric scanners that RTE will probably report are safe to use regularly.
    if some other country wish to bomb ireland i would think they would do so for a very very good reason indeed.
    speaking of security its my opinion that any terrorist attack will come from cia or the english/euro version of that.

This particular incident has nothing to do with terrorists though so you're jumping way ahead there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

i might sound crazy but end of the day if alot of people see security holes ...

Well then the underpants have to have something to do with their cover-up :p

namloc1980 wrote: »
    This particular incident has nothing to do with terrorists though so you're jumping way ahead there.

who else is a supposed threat from smuggling explosives into the country?
    i would imagine people reading about it in the paper might relate explosives to bombs and bombs to terrorists. i think that could be seen as a logical conclusion.

once that is established it is easy to see that terrorists will be ABLE to get in with stuff and we NEED to up security to cover this just in case.and thats when i feel like we are being played for fools so they can spend more money on security and surveilance and a damn good excuse to edge us toward a european police state much like america is and will be moreso.
    as long as they imply lots of possible threats with a few real ones here and there i cant see why they will not get anything they want from the populace.

Plastic explosives were mistakenly loaded onto a plane at a Paris airport after security officials lost track of it during an exercise, police say.

Around 150 grams (about five ounces) of explosive were slipped into the bag of a passenger during sniffer dog training at Paris Charles de Gaulle airport. The bag ended up on one of 90 flights leaving at the time, and police are now trying to track it down.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/europe/4069785.stm

and wait for it...................................
    They stress the explosive is "no more dangerous than a bar of chocolate".

"But they do concede that somewhere in the world, one of the thousands of passengers who passed through the airport will get a nasty surprise when they open their luggage."

They should write this sh1t into a comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

I've a huge problem with this. I've no problem with willing agents having a part in testing the security of airports/seaports/border crossings but I find it hard to endorse something like this. While I cant find a CT in it, I think its a human right violation to plant such an item on an unwilling passenger. I dread to think the fallout if such a substance had unwillingly been set off by accident with casualties to an innocent person. Still can't find a CT tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭IrelandSpirit

Exactly. No you're not crazy, security test my hole. This is about getting Ireland to submit to the EU's Hitleresque control protocols - biometric scans, CCTV cameras, ID Cards, carcinogenic full-body DNA-popping airport scans and all the rest - welcome to the NW fukcin O.

Though we're a little ways off the false flag terror attack, I reckon, I don't think they'd get away saying 'Osama bin Laden did it' here anyway.

Having the media onside, the more 'benign' methods like constant repetition of how crap security is, and how Ireland's gotta step up to the plate, throw in a dose of scaremongering, and maybe. If they keep at it long enough, it'll probably work...

I've a huge problem with this. I've no problem with willing agents having a part in testing the security of airports/seaports/border crossings but I find it hard to endorse something like this. While I cant find a CT in it, I think its a human right violation to plant such an item on an unwilling passenger. I dread to think the fallout if such a substance had unwillingly been set off by accident with casualties to an innocent person. Still can't find a CT tho.

To be honest I'm swinging back and forward (not literally) about this, on the one hand it could well be a mistake on the part of Slovakia, who tried to immitate the big terror fighting nations with big style "training" and fukked it up, then were embarrassed for 3 days thinking what to do next, then one fella dialed the number and handed the phone to another agent saying "ohh you tell them, I can't I'm scarlet", some reports say the garda were initially led to believe the man was a "terrorist" by the officials in Bratislava.

Then theres the possibility this is a widespread exercise that routinely happens around the globe, as the other link I posted show's a similar event happening in Paris and some unwitting passanger brought home a nice present for somebody.

The 3 day silence is a bit strange, when the cokkup was noticed somebody should have sorted it there and then by either stopping the plane from taking off and quietly removing the luggage, removing the substance OR having failed that called Dublin while the plane was airborne and informed them that there was a parcel in Mr X's baggage and they will have somebody come collect it and apologise for any inconvienience caused, but they didn't.

Then there's the CT, draconian measures in the pipeline for the EU coming into play sometime in the future and the powers that be used Slovakia as a gilley to show the people of Ireland that we need tighter security, to make us think were not safe with things as they stand, and it's just one move in a motion that will soften resistance to "more security", EU wide security, that maybe they see Ireland as a stumbling block to implimenting it.
    Or so that the people of Ireland will view other states with suspicion and demand our govt step up security, I could go on with possibilities and what if's but they would just be my fleeting thoughts that have no basis outside my suspicious mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Who are you more upset at the Slovakian government or the the massively and obviously flawed Irish Security?

Irish airport security is the same as in most worldwide airport security for incoming passengers is pretty much non existant.
    who else is a supposed threat from smuggling explosives into the country?
    i would imagine people reading about it in the paper might relate explosives to bombs and bombs to terrorists. i think that could be seen as a logical conclusion.

once that is established it is easy to see that terrorists will be ABLE to get in with stuff and we NEED to up security to cover this just in case.and thats when i feel like we are being played for fools so they can spend more money on security and surveilance and a damn good excuse to edge us toward a european police state much like america is and will be moreso.
    as long as they imply lots of possible threats with a few real ones here and there i cant see why they will not get anything they want from the populace.

Same as above. I do agree with you the Americans are taking things too far but we also have to consider the re-emergence of the Real IRA in the Northern Ireland.
    Exactly. No you're not crazy, security test my hole. This is about getting Ireland to submit to the EU's Hitleresque control protocols - biometric scans, CCTV cameras, ID Cards, carcinogenic full-body DNA-popping airport scans and all the rest - welcome to the NW fukcin O.

Though we're a little ways off the false flag terror attack, I reckon, I don't think they'd get away saying 'Osama bin Laden did it' here anyway.

Having the media onside, the more 'benign' methods like constant repetition of how crap security is, and how Ireland's gotta step up to the plate, throw in a dose of scaremongering, and maybe. If they keep at it long enough, it'll probably work...

I think you are going way over the top here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Wasn't there a case some years ago where a gun was placed in a passengers luggage, in a similar exercise, and also subsequently lost track of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 NaomiQuinn

So to supposedly test security a unknowing dupe is used, having had all his trust and civil liberties torn apart.

Makes one wonder, how many of those in "banged up abroad" are actually innocent people caught up in a scam.

You get one baggage handler in Thailand, he has a friend in Australia. He loads up a bag as he is handling, his mate on the other side removes the contents and no one is any wiser. Unless the bag is found by unknowing security and the patsy is "banged up".

DISGUSTING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Folks - lets try and keep this discussion to the Conspiracy Theory angle.

maybe that was the cia or mi6 transporting explosives for a later planned attack in ireland to pass a new law or something.it could be that the man who accidently got planted with explosives was actually involved and got caught with this stuff.since it wouldnt want to be known that the cia or mi6 or whoever is bringing explosives into the country they said it was planted on him for a security test.
    you never know whats going on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭Black Uhlan

well the CIA is active in Slovakia

CIA uses Bratislava airport

http://www.spectator.sk/articles/view/31047/2/cia_uses_bratislava_airport.html

And Ireland

Sunday 15 August 1982
    item mark During a visit to the United States of America (USA) Martin Smyth, then Ulster Unionist Party (UUP) Member of Parliament (MP), alleged that the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) was involved in Northern Ireland.

Friday 5 November 1982
    item mark In the United States of America (USA) a court acquitted five men of charges of conspiring to ship arms to the Irish Republican Army (IRA) during 1981. The men used the defence that the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) had approved the shipment of arms although this was denied.
    http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/othelem/chron/ch82.htm

uprising wrote: »
    To be honest I'm swinging back and forward (not literally) about this, on the one hand it could well be a mistake on the part of Slovakia, who tried to immitate the big terror fighting nations with big style "training" and fukked it up, then were embarrassed for 3 days thinking what to do next, then one fella dialed the number and handed the phone to another agent saying "ohh you tell them, I can't I'm scarlet", some reports say the garda were initially led to believe the man was a "terrorist" by the officials in Bratislava.

Then theres the possibility this is a widespread exercise that routinely happens around the globe, as the other link I posted show's a similar event happening in Paris and some unwitting passanger brought home a nice present for somebody.

The 3 day silence is a bit strange, when the cokkup was noticed somebody should have sorted it there and then by either stopping the plane from taking off and quietly removing the luggage, removing the substance OR having failed that called Dublin while the plane was airborne and informed them that there was a parcel in Mr X's baggage and they will have somebody come collect it and apologise for any inconvienience caused, but they didn't.

Then there's the CT, draconian measures in the pipeline for the EU coming into play sometime in the future and the powers that be used Slovakia as a gilley to show the people of Ireland that we need tighter security, to make us think were not safe with things as they stand, and it's just one move in a motion that will soften resistance to "more security", EU wide security, that maybe they see Ireland as a stumbling block to implimenting it.
    Or so that the people of Ireland will view other states with suspicion and demand our govt step up security, I could go on with possibilities and what if's but they would just be my fleeting thoughts that have no basis outside my suspicious mind.

I think all the above are possibilities which we should keep our minds open to.
    As regard the CT that the EU have plans to implement draconian security protocols, this event, combined with similar ones worldwide, adds to the impression that they're necessary. Ties in with these new airport body scanners, and the proposed EU drivers licenses/ID cards we were discussing on other threads. It also serves to bring home the 'war on terror' to the public; lest we forget Osama bin Laden hates the West and lurks out there still - 'be afraid, be very, very afraid, there's an Arab-looking man on your plane!' So far it's not working here, wasn't that long ago the Irish were treated similarly and if ever we get an attack on the lines of 7/7 here, I reckon the vast majority wouldn't buy into the 'Bin Laden did it' scenario, especially at this late stage...

Come to think of it, if our security is so crap, and Ireland's such an easy target, why haven't they bombed the bejesus out of us yet?

Perhaps a conspiratorial mind-set is what's keeping us out of the firing line so far.

well the CIA is active in Slovakia

CIA uses Bratislava airport

http://www.spectator.sk/articles/view/31047/2/cia_uses_bratislava_airport.html

And Ireland

Sunday 15 August 1982
    item mark During a visit to the United States of America (USA) Martin Smyth, then Ulster Unionist Party (UUP) Member of Parliament (MP), alleged that the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) was involved in Northern Ireland.

Friday 5 November 1982
    item mark In the United States of America (USA) a court acquitted five men of charges of conspiring to ship arms to the Irish Republican Army (IRA) during 1981. The men used the defence that the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) had approved the shipment of arms although this was denied.
    http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/othelem/chron/ch82.htm

It might be interesting to start a poll on the lines of 'who's the cause of the most terror: CIA or Bin Laden.'

Oh, wait, Bin Laden was (is?) CIA... I forgot.

• Advertisement

A little video I came across, Uday Hussein's doppelganger or fidai/double forced to leave Ireland by bilderberger Michael Mc Dowell and seemingly the CIA.
    http://www.latifyahia.com/

f_iraqpricelem_028c6f9.gif

Yeah he nails it there: the faces change, the policies stay the same....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

They caught 7 from 8 consealed explosive packages where as slovacian security got none. That's hardly 'Massively and Obviously Flawed'

If you really want to get explosives in you will - nothing will stop you.

Also from what I understand these were plastics and were pretty useless without a detinator.

egan007 wrote: »
    They caught 7 from 8 consealed explosive packages where as slovacian security got none. That's hardly 'Massively and Obviously Flawed'

Also from what I understand these were plastics and were pretty useless without a detinator.

It's amazing really how the media can spin something into the total reversal of the facts.

I think you need to read up on it again egan, the 7 out of 8 were supposedly found by Slovakian screener's, they just missed the explosives and forgot about them for 3 day's.

uprising wrote: »
    I think you need to read up on it again egan, the 7 out of 8 were supposedly found by Slovakian screener's, they just missed the explosives and forgot about them for 3 day's.

First time I read it, the packages we're caught their end, then earlier I thought I'd got it wrong and was our end, but yeah you're right it was their security who'd found them - according to that article.

Still not clear why it took three days to alert the gardai, though...

Advertisement