Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel in Waterford City?

• 05-01-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,

Myself and my boyfriend are thinking of heading to Waterford sometime in February and are looking for recommendations as to where to stay?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

In the city center..
    - Days Hotel (3*)
    - Dooley's Hotel (3*)
    - Fitzwiltan Hotel (4*)
    - The Granvile (4*)

Just outside the city center but easily reachable...
    - The Waterford Manor Hotel (3* straight of the city Bypass)
    - The Ramada (3* Cork Road, near the bypass)

(Possibly missing a couple here, only thinking of the top of my head!)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

Thanks!

Have you stayed in any of them? Just reading mixed reviews on tripadvisor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

the tower hotel is quite central

its a basic 3 star, its grand but it wouldnt be ideal for a romantic weekend away

the woodlands hotel on the dunmore road is a short taxi journey from town, and is much nicer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

just remembered i stayed in the fitzwilton once for a wedding, it is very central, and is a lovely hotel also, would fit the bill for a romantic weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I work in one of the hotels that's been mentioned so far (there's also a few hotels that are missing - Dooleys Hotel, The Belfry, Travel Lodge, Waterford Castle, Faithlegg House, Arlington Lodge) so I'm not going to recommend any one in particular. I will give you some general advice and that is to ring up and book personally. If you book online, you'll automatically be allocated a room. While you might find a room for €35 a night, it won't be the best on offer. If you ring to book, explain that you're going for a nice weekend away with the other half, you'll still get the cheapest rate but you'll be manually allocated a room which should ensure a higher standard of room.

If you want to pm me, I'll happily let you know where I work and give you some first hand experience of the place to help to better decide.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for all your help guys, much appreciated!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thanks!

Have you stayed in any of them? Just reading mixed reviews on tripadvisor!

Never trust TripAdvisor IMO - I am aware of businesses who sign up and bash their competition while giving themselves excellent ratings.

Never stayed in any, but I have been told that both Waterford Castle (great for dinner) and The Granville are very nice hotels. Iv stayed in a Days Hotel (not the Waterford one) before and it was nice.

The tripadvisor reviews I've read for most of the places I've stayed in seem fairly accurate, that's why I always check reviews on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 stephenc1979

I know someone used the Marina Hotel and got it for about €40, good location....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Wouldnt go for days meself. The tower is a grand place. Stayed there a few times. Ramada isnt actually to bad I must say. Any place I suppose is grand if its a dirty weekend away your looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

i've stayed in the Ramada and its grand..the bar there does lovely food and it's only 5 minutes into town

Tower Hotel is lovely as well and the Bistro restaurant food is gorgeous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

Sully wrote: »
    In the city center..
    - Days Hotel (3*)
    - Dooley's Hotel (3*)
    - Fitzwiltan Hotel (4*)
    - The Granvile (4*)

Just outside the city center but easily reachable...
    - The Waterford Manor Hotel (3* straight of the city Bypass)
    - The Ramada (3* Cork Road, near the bypass)

(Possibly missing a couple here, only thinking of the top of my head!)

pay an extra tenner in the granville and you will get a 3 some with quar wan :):)

fitzwiltan is actually the only 4 star in town

Mickdots wrote: »
    pay an extra tenner in the granville and you will get a 3 some with quar wan :):)

fitzwiltan is actually the only 4 star in town

Says otherwise on the door and their website. The AA also backup their claim. :)

No idea why Fitzwiltan are promoting themselves as the only four star tbh

Sully wrote: »
    Says otherwise on the door and their website. The AA also backup their claim. :)

No idea why Fitzwiltan are promoting themselves as the only four star tbh

i used to be riding one of the receptionists down there and she was telling me it was 3 star and the fitzwilton was the only 4 star!!

nice hotel thou and prob would stay there if i was to stay there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

i used to be riding one of the receptionists down there ......

Class.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Think the Woodlands is one of the best around the city , The staff are fantastic and it has very nice amenities pool etc.

Ps No I don't work there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

i used to be riding one of the receptionists down there

Charming stuff alright. :rolleyes: Could you have maybe put it a bit must respectful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Think the Woodlands is one of the best around the city , The staff are fantastic and it has very nice amenities pool etc.

Although it's not a city centre hotel, so not a great option unless you have a car with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

shapez wrote: »
    Charming stuff alright. :rolleyes: Could you have maybe put it a bit must respectful?

Ah I think it's brilliant. Gave me a good laugh. well done, Mickdots.

I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel in Waterford, which is mad when you think about it. But we've booked Waterford Castle for our wedding in November and if you're looking for something a bit special and a bit different, I'd definitely recommend it. But it's a bit outside the town (~8 minute drive).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'm so glad I opened this thread now... That gave me such a good laugh. Definitely think it should be post of the day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Jesus that was inspired mickdots. Good thing i was in the office when i read it as they'd thik iwas mad loling for no reason.

We should all take a leaf out of his book and start a thread of who we're after riding around town. No? Fine!! :)

shapez wrote: »

what u want me to say? i inserted my penis in a busty girl on many of occasion? she liked it, i liked it and we all went home happy. nice girl thou:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

an altogether different kind of hotel inspector!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

definatly Fitzwilton --- i book large parties in there most week -
    always extremely very happy - and cant believe how cheap it is -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

€20.10pps Available for a Limited Time Only!

Description For The Fans! Relax and unwind in city centre luxury at the 4 Star Fitzwilton Hotel in Waterford City for only €20.10 per person sharing! Free On-Site Parking - Free Wi-Fi - Beauty Salon - Gym - Residents Lounge & Business Centre. 2 Minutes walk form City Train & Bus Station!
    Specific Terms This is a limited offer. Can be booked any dates between now and 28th January. Offer ends when closed online.
    Dates from: 07-Jan-2010 until: 28-Jan-2010
    Room Name Double Room
    Occupancy maximum: 2 Adults
    Offer Price € 40.20 EUR total Per Room - for 1 night(s)

http://www.avvio.com/hotels/Fitzwilton_Hotel/bookings/client.php?formname=offercheckin&rpgID=996&oID=29820&rID=1468&SID=13e4f125234ce340ab5c539460598d14&ul=1

you do realise south that most of us posting here are from waterford so have very little use of your wonderful offer. Take it to the carlow forum i say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

ziedth wrote: »
    you do realise south that most of us posting here are from waterford so have very little use of your wonderful offer. Take it to the carlow forum i say

yes i do know where i'm posting as i'm from waterford myself. the op is from cork and although he/she said feb they might come a week early to save a few euros. the offer was posted on the net so i said i'd repost it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

ROCKMAN wrote: »

Ohhhh my god..its a total dump.
    Fitzwilton for price/location/good standard of room (VIP for romantic break)
    good package for 2nights +1dinner.
    good value food in waterford= L'athmosphere7min walk. €20= 3course and glass of wine or Cafe Goa on Quay 2min walk (great indian .share a main as they are massive/great cheap wine also)
    Or geoffs bar for great food after 5pm or good snack food all day
    ENJOY

south wrote: »
    yes i do know where i'm posting as i'm from waterford myself. the op is from cork and although he/she said feb they might come a week early to save a few euros. the offer was posted on the net so i said i'd repost it here.

I apologise, I didn't see the link and thought you wew shilling.

• Advertisement

Ohhhh my god..its a total dump.
    Fitzwilton for price/location/good standard of room (VIP for romantic break)
    good package for 2nights +1dinner.
    good value food in waterford= L'athmosphere7min walk. €20= 3course and glass of wine or Cafe Goa on Quay 2min walk (great indian .share a main as they are massive/great cheap wine also)
    Or geoffs bar for great food after 5pm or good snack food all day
    ENJOY

I agree with all this but one part. NEVER GEOFFS :)

Advertisement