Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke coming in through vent

• 05-01-2010 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Last few nights we've had what smells like car exhaust fumes pouring in through our kitchen vent. It's just one of those standard vents in every room of the house.

It's coming from next doors Oil burner, out in their back garden, it's nearly right underneath our vent. There's smoke billowing out of it and the wind is blowing it right up into our vent. The smell is terrible and we've a newborn baby in the house.

We had a similar problem with our oil burner two weeks ago, a mouse had gotten in and messed it all up, so I put down expanding foam behind it to (try) stop him going back in. He must of went into nextdoors burner now.

Thing is, the people next door must have their timer on to come on between 8 and half 9 every night, but they haven't been home in about two weeks. I asked the other neighbours and they said they haven't seen them either so am trying to chase that up with residents committee.

My question is, I've had to take the vent off and stuff a damp t-shirt in there to try stem the fumes coming in. I know everyone says never block a vent but it's a matter of urgency at the moment.

Any advice, is it really not a good idea to block that one vent?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would say there should be no problem blocking one vent and I would do the same. If you cook with gas, make sure you leave any doors open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Thanks. No gas cooker anyway. Just blocking it while their burners on, seems to help a little but not much.

Advertisement