Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish sea crossing on Friday

Options
  • 05-01-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Hoping to get a bit of advice on this one. I'm considering going to the UK on Friday but not sure what the weather would be like for the crossing on the ferry. Would anyone know what one should expect for the way over and the way back the following day? It'd be the 3.5 hour trip as opposed to the Swift.

Thanks very much for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Looks cold and dry with light winds going by the latest charts:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I've taken the Ullyses (sp) in "high winds/rough seas"... it's no bother for that monster. If you don't like the movement.. go towards the rear fo the ship and as low a deck as possible.

That ship is super steady - no worries in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

trogdor wrote: »
    Looks cold and dry with light winds going by the latest charts:)

It can be as cold as it likes, as long as those swells behave themselves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

si_guru wrote: »
    I've taken the Ullyses (sp) in "high winds/rough seas"... it's no bother for that monster. If you don't like the movement.. go towards the rear fo the ship and as low a deck as possible.

That ship is super steady - no worries in my mind.

Does she (he?!) do the crossing to Hollyhead? I wouldn't be nervous about safety, just the discomfort of the crossing itself.

Cianos wrote: »
    Does she (he?!) do the crossing to Hollyhead? I wouldn't be nervous about safety, just the discomfort of the crossing itself.

Yes, it's the Irish Ferries boat. If you get nervous (highly unlikely) look out the window.. look at the horizon.

It has to be really rough to bother that boat.. so I would say you'll be sleeping like a baby the whole way! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

si_guru wrote: »
    Yes, it's the Irish Ferries boat. If you get nervous (highly unlikely) look out the window.. look at the horizon.

It has to be really rough to bother that boat.. so I would say you'll be sleeping like a baby the whole way! :)

Got the grand tour of the ulysees as part of my transport degree, the ship is the largest car ferry in the world. There are special stabiliser fins used to0 steady the boat if it gets rough and we were told it has to be a firly hefty storm to make you any bit seasick ;)

The fins must be fairly substantial becuase they have a big enough sign to alert to their in/out status!:

18022009101.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Ulysses is in Liverpool for maintenance.
    The Isle of Inishmore is operating the route at present

Hoagy wrote: »
    Ulysses is in Liverpool for maintenance.
    The Isle of Inishmore is operating the route at present

Been on that too.. I only noticed when I couldn't find the shop... started to think I'd gone mad.

Advertisement