Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Performance Tester?

• 05-01-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭

Just done a fresh install on Windows 7, installed a few basic programmes, itunes, adobe reader, mcafee, quicktime, office word and excel and a few other small size programmes. stopped running all of the non essential on startup so only windows and mcafee are running, and the CPU is running at 25-27% and RAM at 30-35%. I can hear the hard drive running around there but it certainly shouldnt be at that speed, there's nothing operating for christs sake!! Any suggestions? Any useful tools to test the performance of the computer?

Its pentium 3.4ghz, 4gb ram, 256 graphics running windows 7 32 bit. I'm stumped here, comp is pretty fvcking slow! :confused::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Disable indexing. That should calm the hd a bit.
    Also try disabling some of the non-essential services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Ideo wrote: »
    Just done a fresh install on Windows 7, installed a few basic programmes, itunes, adobe reader, mcafee, quicktime, office word and excel and a few other small size programmes. stopped running all of the non essential on startup so only windows and mcafee are running, and the CPU is running at 25-27% and RAM at 30-35%. I can hear the hard drive running around there but it certainly shouldnt be at that speed, there's nothing operating for christs sake!! Any suggestions? Any useful tools to test the performance of the computer?

Its pentium 3.4ghz, 4gb ram, 256 graphics running windows 7 32 bit. I'm stumped here, comp is pretty fvcking slow! :confused::eek:

Chances are the hard drive is getting on a bit.Disable Indexing as suggest above and also download HDTune and post up the results up here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

turn off ssuperfetch as it will max out available ram for programs it expects you to launch, which is cool enough, the problem is it loads it all from the harddrive and keeps chugging till the ram is full( even when idle it'll chug ), it keeps doing this for days after install until it settles down to the programs/games you normally use.

Also as was said indexing will make it chug while idle also, and i think windows search is also a contributor.

*EDIT*
    Oh yeah, and turn off the automatic restore points that it schedules.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Ok CPU is way down to 2% thankfully but RAM is still running at 31% and there's pretty much nothing running, well nothing using >1gb RAM!! Just bought a new baracuda HD so that couldn't be it, could it? I'll disable indexing now too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Ok CPU is way down to 2% thankfully but RAM is still running at 31% and there's pretty much nothing running, well nothing using >1gb RAM!! Just bought a new baracuda HD so that couldn't be it, could it? I'll disable indexing now too!
    vista and windows 7 use 1 gig just to get to the desktop without tuning anything else like itunes service etc. will just eat more.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement

RAM is still running at 31% and there's pretty much nothing running

Do you really think that sexy aero interface is running on air??!!:D:D It's devouring your ram like there's no tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Do you really think that sexy aero interface is running on air??!!:D:D It's devouring your ram like there's no tomorrow!!!

:o I think XP is missing me...

I ran win 7 for two months before going back to xp. My very simple observations:

- win7 is very polished (vista) OS.
    - it ran stable.
    - it has multitude of advanced options, which were ultimately of no use to me as an "ordinary user".
    - some brand new hardware (ati hd5xxx series) is not natively supported in xp any more.
    - some new games are not supported in xp any more.
    - this trend will only increase.

However, for the stuff that i use from day to day (net, music, movies, office apps and bit of encoding) on not so new hardware... xp is kinder to my hardware and does it well.

Just my two cents, but definatelly give win7 a good going over before abandoning it.

And remember, there is hardly an option in windows that can not be tweaked and modified, so initial troubles can very likely be solved.

Have a look at this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10423985-56.html

Advertisement