Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Superb, wow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Put aside how it looks for a minute, I couldn't believe the spec on the Elagance, wanting for nothing at under €29K. That's unbelievable, now to find a way...

http://new.skoda-auto.com/IRL/Documents/New_Superb/Superb%20Price%20Spec.pdf

1.9TDi. You can get this for €26,425.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

picking up my 170PS Superb Elegance this week :D - it's not a bad looking car in fairness. But yes the spec if off the charts. The equiv in an A4 or Passat would be between 40k and 50k euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

flamegrill wrote: »
    picking up my 170PS Superb Elegance this week :D - it's not a bad looking car in fairness. But yes the spec if off the charts. The equiv in an A4 or Passat would be between 40k and 50k euro.

post pics and a bit of a review when ya get it, seems to be a hell of a lot of car for the money! i'm a long way off owning something like the Superb, but one day... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Goes to show what a rip off the equivelant Audi that costs €20k more is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kindalen

i will own one of these...but because i'm poor it will prob be in 3 years time.would love one now.

• Advertisement

Even the Greenline model has a nice amount of kit.

I think VW deliberately made the styling horrible in places (rear lights especially) so as not to compete with their other products.

I have a few photos of her from the show room that I took of the car when it came into stock...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Pity the rear end is just so ugly, but I guess if they made it anyway good looking Audi and VW would have been in real trouble. You can't have it all as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

The rear of the estate isnt tha bad
    2011-Skoda-Superb-Estate-2.jpg
    2010-Skoda-Superb-Estate-01.jpg

The dual opening boot is what swong it for me. We almost went with the Opel Insignia 160PS but the boot in the Superb and all the extras won me over. That and it was 4500 euro cheaper than the Opel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

It's still a Skoda, no matter how you try to dress it up as a Passat or A4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

the umbrella in the rear door is a nice touch

testicle wrote: »

Only a badge snob would say such nonsense!

Even if they got rid of those lights on the boot door it'd look so much better, as it is they don't quite match up.

BEFORE
    skoda-superb-5.jpg
    AFTER
    skodasuperb5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Only a badge snob would say such nonsense!

Only someone with an inferiority complex would say that it's an A4/Passat only cheaper ;)

or this, well I did one light :P

Its a rought draft that Ill send to Skoda lol

Only someone with an inferiority complex would say that it's an A4/Passat only cheaper ;)

Considering I own a passat currently you're clearly grasping at straws!

i actually quite like the rear of the Superb! i must be the only one! i tend to like cars that are slightly different though, like the rear of the Volvo c30, or the front of an Alfa.

TheColl wrote: »
    i actually quite like the rear of the Superb! i must be the only one! i tend to like cars that are slightly different though, like the rear of the Volvo c30, or the front of an Alfa.

Yeah, I dont think it looks bad. Id change it if I had the chance but Im always like that with cars. But if I had the money Id get the estate which I really like the look of so I wouldnt be struggling with me ugly arse. . . When im in the car. da dum tish . . . :o:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I have a few photos of her from the show room that I took of the car when it came into stock...

And that last photo doesn't do the car justice. It was probably taken with the front seats the furthest back. I had a look in one today in the dealer and the leg space in the back is comparable to a Merc S-class or BMW 7-series.

And it even parks itself :eek:

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »

yeh has anyone experienced this? i hear there's a similar system in some Lexus models?

Meh, The Prius had that in 2004....
    TheColl wrote: »
    yeh has anyone experienced this? i hear there's a similar system in some Lexus models?
    Used it in the Prius years ago and it was such a novelty, dunno how often you'd actually use it though.

Used it on the Lexus LS600h and it's definitely useful on a car that size. Dunno how Top Gear managed to crash theirs into a wall when reversing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I have a 07 passat highline and its no great shakes, it gave enough trouble aswell. paid 36k for it and its worth 14k now with only 80k kms. sister has an a4 and its a horrible plain thing. il b buying a suberb next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i would love one of these.... they look ugly, but damn they look comfortable!

but i would only be able to afford second hand... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

trust me it's one of the ugliest cars ever made (puke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The surround detail on the multifunction thing in the first pic looks like the quality of a 28 grand "luxury" car.

that trim looks better in real life , but there's a load of colours and textures going on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have to say i don't think it looks that bad, i quite like it actually. I'm not saying it looks amazing or anything, but just that it's not as bad as people are making out.

pcardin wrote: »
    trust me it's one of the ugliest cars ever made (puke)

Damn, dont ya hate it when you buy a car without looking?:rolleyes: Cause it sounds like thats what you mean. Im sure he actually looked at the thing before buying. Whisht about it being ugly or not. Opinions arent fact. And thats fact and my opinion:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

i think they look nice, and the interior looks very nice and classy. What a bargain with all the toys! if i had 30k to be spending i'd be getting one of these over a Passat or poverty spec A4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The estate is much better looking but the saloon is still fantastic. OP, did you get it with DSG? Manual in that thing would be a travesty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

The dual opening boot is what swong it for me. We almost went with the Opel Insignia 160PS but the boot in the Superb and all the extras won me over. That and it was 4500 euro cheaper than the Opel.
    It's not 4500 cheaper if you go for a more comparable engine in the Superb. More like around 2k or there abouts. You get more space and park assist in the Superb, and you get a nicer interior and better driving dynamics in the Insignia. So there's more to think about than a dual boot, which, if I chose a hatch-back Insignia, I wouldn't ever miss. You'd swear that Skoda are after bringing out a Bently Continental GT for €12,000 the way some people are reacting! It's a comfortable, well-spec'd car for an excellent price, but lets not get carried away here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Fine car, looks big and imposing. Id have it over a passat any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Best of luck with the new car. I know not the best looking from the back but there are some nice details. I personally like it. Would be the perfect car for a long commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

And that last photo doesn't do the car justice. It was probably taken with the front seats the furthest back. I had a look in one today in the dealer and the leg space in the back is comparable to a Merc S-class or BMW 7-series.

I actually don't know how Skoda managed to design this thing! More leg room than a long wheelbase Jaguar XJ (according to Parker's) and the biggest boot - well, pretty much ever. And yet, it's no longer than a 5 series. It just doesn't add up! :confused:

• Advertisement

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    It's not 4500 cheaper if you go for a more comparable engine in the Superb. More like around 2k or there abouts. You get more space and park assist in the Superb, and you get a nicer interior and better driving dynamics in the Insignia. So there's more to think about than a dual boot, which, if I chose a hatch-back Insignia, I wouldn't ever miss. You'd swear that Skoda are after bringing out a Bently Continental GT for €12,000 the way some people are reacting! It's a comfortable, well-spec'd car for an excellent price, but lets not get carried away here!

It actually was. By the time I got the 160PS engine, Sat Nav, Bluetooth (900 euro!!!) and the other bits that I wanted that come as standard on the Skoda it was 4500 euro dearer than the Skoda.

The hatch-back insignia which I drove 3 times on separate occasions before choosing the skoda was a very nice car. I just didn't like the rear view window. The view out the back is terrible, almost like driving a van. I had to consider my partner who is a learner driver when choosing aswell as it's "our car" and she wouldn't have managed it.

As the skoda drives similarly to my existing 06 passat it was the way to go. I didn't choose it just for the boot there was other issues aswell we took into consideration.

Both have adaptive front lighting which is a nice touch. The Opel has Opel eye which doesn't work in Ireland. What a pointless feature.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Tea 1000 wrote: »

Yeah, this Skoda worship is getting a bit OTT.

To me the Superb looks like a European interpretation of those fugly, wafty American cars - a Lincoln Town Car kinda yoke... Irish people always loved to get the biggest car they could afford even if it had a tinsy engine. These days the CO2 tax-bands and diesel means smaller engines are no longer a necessary evil (ironically!) but the the maxim remains the same - cover as much acreage for as little money as possible and to hell with aesthtics, dynamics or subtlety. I think it's deep within the Irish psyche - goes back to the obsession with land and having a big enough freeholding to feed your family!

Unless you need the space the Insignia is a nicer, much better-looking car that's nicer to drive on twisty Irish roads and easier to manouver in town (the Superb NEEDS park assist!)

I applaud the fact Skoda offer something different in the Superb and recommended one to a good friend with a family who wanted to move away from a MPV. But personally I don't believe it to be the dog's undercarriage many on here would have you believe and that there are more sophisticated options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Even if they got rid of those lights on the boot door it'd look so much better, as it is they don't quite match up.

AFTER
    skodasuperb5.jpg

Doesn't that look like the back of a Renault Migrane saloon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

pburns wrote: »
    Yeah, this Skoda worship is getting a bit OTT.

Agreed. It reminds me of all the Suburu Legacy posts............HOLD ON, they were by you!:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

For that money its a lovely car, the estate version would be the one Id buy but with slightly larger engine, iirc there is a 2.5TDi engine and an auto box which would suit nicely..

I think what most people are amazed by is the spec, sure you can get crap cars that have loads of gadgets but in the end they are crap cars. Skodas, esp Octavias and Superbs seem to be good solid safe reliable cars and now are available in spec'd out with goodies that you would normally expect in higher prices marques..

I think thats what all the fuss is about..

Nice car and I can see a lot of people switching to this instead of buying a lower spec'd Passat or A4 as now they can have the VW build and all the goodies too.. :)

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I actually don't know how Skoda managed to design this thing! More leg room than a long wheelbase Jaguar XJ (according to Parker's) and the biggest boot - well, pretty much ever. And yet, it's no longer than a 5 series. It just doesn't add up! :confused:

Skoda's patented TARDIS technology - only explanation I can think of :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

2011-Skoda-Superb-Estate-2.jpg

Those alloys look very like the E-Class alloys.. Nice though..

2009-e-class-mercedes.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Comes as standard now apparently :D

633576375299705363-antitheftskodafinallystartedinstallingsecuritysystemsontheirbasemodels.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

It actually was. By the time I got the 160PS engine, Sat Nav, Bluetooth (900 euro!!!) and the other bits that I wanted that come as standard on the Skoda it was 4500 euro dearer than the Skoda.

The hatch-back insignia which I drove 3 times on separate occasions before choosing the skoda was a very nice car. I just didn't like the rear view window. The view out the back is terrible, almost like driving a van. I had to consider my partner who is a learner driver when choosing aswell as it's "our car" and she wouldn't have managed it.

As the skoda drives similarly to my existing 06 passat it was the way to go. I didn't choose it just for the boot there was other issues aswell we took into consideration.

Both have adaptive front lighting which is a nice touch. The Opel has Opel eye which doesn't work in Ireland. What a pointless feature.

Paul
    Fair enough if it has Sat Nav as standard with the Elegance spec, but anyone would want to be a bonehead to pay for an in-dash Sat Nav in this country. The only time you really need it is going abroad, and your Sat Nav back in the long term car park is feck all good. That and they're usually way more expensive than a Garmin or Tom Tom that do the same thing, except with the added benefit of usefulness without your car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Confab wrote: »
    The estate is much better looking but the saloon is still fantastic. OP, did you get it with DSG? Manual in that thing would be a travesty!

The Estate absolutely looks better indeed, Saloon isnt too bad though.
    Now bear with me, but I think it could be modded via aftermarket to look far far nicer. Some wider bigger wheels and slightly lowerer, blacked out rear taillights on the boot area only etc.

Also needs meatier engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    The Estate absolutely looks better indeed, Saloon isnt too bad though.
    Now bear with me, but I think it could be modded via aftermarket to look far far nicer. Some wider bigger wheels and slightly lowerer, blacked out rear taillights on the boot area only etc.

Also needs meatier engines.
    quick 5 minute job

skodasuperbestate1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

Can you get a Superb Estate through a dealer in Ireland? The Skoda Ireland website has no details on it, but the Skoda UK website does.

I don't think the Estate will be available here till March 2010 or similar. But you should be able to order one soon from a main dealer... as they can take upto 12 weeks to come in.

the DSG box drives up car tax to the next bracket

looks like a pimped Eastern European car!

• Advertisement
Advertisement