Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Superb, wow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I will be the first to admit that I was snobbish toward Skoda, but looking at the Estate, I would certainly consider it next time. On a quick look I tought it was a 5 series..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Skoda have a decent range of cars these days. They have come a long way in the last decade. With this rate of improvement it'll be interesting to see what they have on offer in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

unkel wrote: »
    And it even parks itself :eek:
    Can it park itself in a space that isn't large enough to accommodate a bus? Not exactly the most challenging maneuverer in that video!
    I actually don't know how Skoda managed to design this thing! More leg room than a long wheelbase Jaguar XJ (according to Parker's) and the biggest boot - well, pretty much ever. And yet, it's no longer than a 5 series. It just doesn't add up! :confused:
    Apples and pears. The XJ and the 5 are rear wheel drive, and carry bigger engines - they need room up front to mount a straight six or V8 (edit: or V10:D) lengthwise, while the superb has 4 pot engines mounted sideways. Saving that much from the length of the engine compartment gives a lot more flexibility in designing the passenger area.

That double hinged boot is awfully clever, but the estate does look better to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

People are forgetting that Skoda's are cheap and cheerful workhorse vehicles, not style or design statements. Since most cars in the VAG family share the same mechanicals / underpinnings, even similar furnishings in higher spec cars, the cars are styled to differentiate from each other and appeal to diverse demographics, not compete against one another. (Tyre and electronic manufacturers do the same, create similar enough products, with different price points / markets without compromising parent brand identity and values. The prime focus to increase market share).

The styling of VAG vehicles reflects their indigenous origins. So a Seat primarily looks Spanish or mediterranean in flavour, a Skoda Czech or Eastern European, VW's Germanic and Audi's more avant garde. If you look back at Skoda's pre-VW ownership you will get a sense of where the dated (to some) or slightly oddball (to others) looks come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I quite like the Superb, it's just I think the back is absolutely vile. The stingy Skoda image doesn't help either.

Just looking there, the 3.6 V6 looks extraordinary value for money if you can live with the 2k a year road tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

quick 5 minute job

skodasuperbestate1.jpg

That looks great, very r36 like shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Just looking there, the 3.6 V6 looks extraordinary value for money if you can live with the 2k a year road tax.
    Was just thinking the same thing myself. It's also (quite bizarrely) the only model available with both awd and automatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Im not dying about the saloon, but the estate could really grow on me - especially after it was pimped :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Im not dying about the saloon, but the estate could really grow on me - especially after it was pimped :D
    I agree, that back end on the saloon is truly awful, but the estate is a totally different thing altogether. A bit big for me though.

• Advertisement

TomMc wrote: »
    People are forgetting that Skoda's are cheap and cheerful workhorse vehicles

not anymore.:)
    They can't be shoeboxed into that statement for now on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭beetlebailey

WOW...Reading these posts I`m amazed at how excited some people are about the prospect of owning a Skoda.:rolleyes:
    And as for parting with 29k for the privillage:eek:

'its a cheap volkswagen\audi' ,who are you trying to convince?
    Oh and I`m no badge snob, I drive a crappy Almera ffs! but atleast I`m under no illusion about it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

yup the Almera is crappy, at no level is it good.

But I wouldnt compare an almera to a brand new Skoda Superb, in the same way Usain Bolt and I arent the same just cos we both have legs.

A lot of the OP's point was how good the superb was compared to its VAG stablemates.
    Pound for pound the skoda is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

WOW...Reading these posts I`m amazed at how excited some people are about the prospect of owning a Skoda.:rolleyes:
    And as for parting with 29k for the privillage:eek:

'its a cheap volkswagen\audi' ,who are you trying to convince?
    Oh and I`m no badge snob, I drive a crappy Almera ffs! but atleast I`m under no illusion about it.:D

29K For a Superb is excellent value. You clearly have no idea of how the Skoda brand has evolved over the last 10 years. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

unkel wrote: »

Its certainly fantastic value for money if you like the styling. And the range of standard kit is very impressive. However you can see little areas where it falls down, like in 1:07 in that video. You wouldn't see that on a Merc/BMW/Audi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

However you can see little areas where it falls down, like in 1:07 in that video. You wouldn't see that on a Merc/BMW/Audi.

Silly people who filmed that. When you put it down, It mechanically pulls the boot down so it fits perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

testicle wrote: »
    It's still a Skoda, no matter how you try to dress it up as a Passat or A4 :D

ive never heard such BS in all my life :rolleyes:

i'd have an octavia or superb over a passat any day imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

I wouldn't buy anything with a modern VW badge attached anyway. Tbh........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

how come the Skodas seem to be more reliable than Volkswagens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Because they're trying to drag Skoda up out of the gutter and investing loads of money in them and meanwhile sales reps around the place are fighting each other to buy Passats and Golfs, thinking that they are the pinnacle of motoring excellence because they haven't driven anything better, and funding the development of Skoda in the process. So effectively anyone who buys a VW is paying for product development in Skoda and getting a raw deal because VWs aren't as well built as they'll have you believe. Notice how they don't use the slogan "As reliable as a Volkswagen" anymore? People are sheep and this is a classic case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I actually don't know how Skoda managed to design this thing! More leg room than a long wheelbase Jaguar XJ (according to Parker's) and the biggest boot - well, pretty much ever. And yet, it's no longer than a 5 series. It just doesn't add up! :confused:

Tardis technology

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Fair enough if it has Sat Nav as standard with the Elegance spec, but anyone would want to be a bonehead to pay for an in-dash Sat Nav in this country. The only time you really need it is going abroad, and your Sat Nav back in the long term car park is feck all good. That and they're usually way more expensive than a Garmin or Tom Tom that do the same thing, except with the added benefit of usefulness without your car!

Cause you dont have to remove it all the time to stop it getting robbed, its neater, better looking, bigger screen usually, interrupts the radio and phone with instructions, Also an iphone is more flexible if that what your after.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

What a car! How are they to drive? I'd be very tempted with one of these as my next car, the 170 Bhp diesel w/dsg and elegance, much to the amusement of my mates I have been harping about the Superb for years, seems like an awful lot of VAG for your money, if BMW had a 'brand' of vehicle that made rebadged BMW's for way less money with way more spec and 1 gen old chassis I'd be all over it.
    OP will you give a review of the car for an owners/drivers perspective when you get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Victor_M wrote: »
    OP will you give a review of the car for an owners/drivers perspective when you get it?

You might be waiting! Flamegrill should have his soon, no doubt it will be a glowing review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Meh, The Prius had that in 2004....

You're missing the point ;)

The Superb is about twice the size of the Prius, has double the spec and uses half the fuel. And it only costs a tiny bit more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DaireMac

Fantastic motor have used 2 of them as a taxi they drive well and the diesels are great for remapping. The spec you get is way better than anything else. Customers love it and I kid you not at night the way its lit up inside its very common for one of them to say is this a merc? The Badge Boys will love that one!!!!

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

DaireMac wrote: »
    Fantastic motor have used 2 of them as a taxi they drive well and the diesels are great for remapping. The spec you get is way better than anything else. Customers love it and I kid you not at night the way its lit up inside its very common for one of them to say is this a merc? The Badge Boys will love that one!!!!

D.

sounds like the beer goggles work on cars as well as women!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Skoda for me means functional, reliable and more bang for your buck than most cars. However they are also uninspiring, plain and...sorry to offend...downright ugly. Everything an Audi is not in other words. I'm not a badge snob by the way..just speaking what the majority think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you want a fake Audi then buy an Exeo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

gebbel wrote: »
    Skoda for me means functional, reliable and more bang for your buck than most cars. However they are also uninspiring, plain and...sorry to offend...downright ugly. Everything an Audi is not in other words. I'm not a badge snob by the way..just speaking what the majority think.

But I imagine a lot of the majority are badge snobs lol
    Speak for yourself my good man!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you want a fake Audi then buy an Exeo :D

Lets not open that can of worms again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Skoda for me means functional, reliable and more bang for your buck than most cars. However they are also uninspiring, plain and...sorry to offend...downright ugly. Everything an Audi is not in other words

erm...am I missing something here. How the hell is this
    gallery.Par.0116.Image.jpg

more inspiring than this
    skoda-superb-27-3-08.jpg

They both supscribe to the "it's just a car" school of automotive design imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

EPM wrote: »
    erm...am I missing something here. How the hell is this
    gallery.Par.0116.Image.jpg

more inspiring than this
    skoda-superb-27-3-08.jpg

They both supscribe to the "it's just a car" school of automotive design imo

Well I am very clear on which one I prefer, as I'm sure are most people. The Skoda is fine but the Audi has that extra touch of class and quality, style and reputation. Audi turns heads, Skoda doesn't. Having said that the skoda does represent better value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Well I am very clear on which one I prefer, as I'm sure are most people. The Skoda is fine but the Audi has that extra touch of class and quality, style and reputation. Audi turns heads, Skoda doesn't. Having said that the skoda does represent better value for money.

That Audi wouldnt turn my head,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Can I just clarify something? You would dig into your pocket and extract an extra 10-15k euro just go get the 4 rings on the front? That's what you're saying ... Audi's don't turn heads. They're boring in the lower range. Save the R8 and new A8. And even the new A8 looks like a bigger Audi A4.

How much does this touch of class cost? Is that an A6 in the picture? If so I'd guess there is a 15k - 20k euro price difference for a just as bland lower spec similar performance. I've never heard of any major quality issues with Skodas, build quality and trim is on par with VW and some audis, and styling, well the arse is a bit ugly on the Superb but the A6 is no super model, the previous hen A6 was one of the ugliest cars money could buy. So I suspect badge snobbery is the only thig that keeps the VAG fanboys from buying this excellent VAG product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

bingo3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I had a few Superb's in last year, and a few more A6's. As we sell all the used stock from here we always have traders coming and going, and all of them stopped to have a look at the New Superb, whereas they pass straight by the A6. I was called down from my desk countless times with the keys to show someone or other the trick folding boot, the space in the rear and the Umbrella.

Even our CEO (of one of the largest motor groups in the country) had a good poke around in the Superb but didn't give the A6 a second glance.

When professionals with 40+ years experience in the motor industry start making appreciative noises about a car, you know someone has done something right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

class and quality, style and reputation. Audi turns heads, Skoda doesn't.

WHO cares? Id rather have a nice comfortable car with plenty of spec(knowing I have got more value for money) Then pay over the top for an inferior spec with a couple of style tweaks here and there just so I can pose in with an Audi badge.

Audis never turned heads...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Well for all my slagging and slight mystification at the unbridled enthusiasm for the Superb I have to applaud Skoda for doing something different. The kit, the space, the umberella in the door, the bootlid - makes it a really characterful car that offers something different to the opposition. Miles better than the re-badged Audi that is the Exeo (that's all I'll say on that!) Can't fault the value either, obviously.

The latest ad says it all though with yer man sitting in the back waiting for a chauffer and then having to get in and drive it himself (strapline 'What do you expect for €29,xxx'). Who in the hell needs a car with limo-like dimensions? Maybe taxi-drivers or those with families coming from an MPV but for most people it's all about casting a bigger shadow. Just not my thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

some amount of snobbery here! I own a '00 Octavia and I love it. OK, it's not the most comfortable car but it's reliable and does the job for me and my family. The badge snobs can have their Audi (now that BMW are as common as muck ;) ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

flamegrill wrote: »
    Can I just clarify something? You would dig into your pocket and extract an extra 10-15k euro just go get the 4 rings on the front? That's what you're saying ... Audi's don't turn heads. They're boring in the lower range. Save the R8 and new A8. And even the new A8 looks like a bigger Audi A4.

I think the Superb is nice (*cough* as an estate), but come on, lets not delude ourselves that the only technical thing separating Audi and Skoda is a badge on the front.
    Audi's have better interiors (not just looking, they have more toys and physically) and most importantly (is this a car forum?) better chassis and much better engine choices (and the cream of the VAG crop engines).
    Unless you are the "lets buy a FWD A4 customer", I dont subscribe.

The new A8 is a disappointment however. Audi are the purveyors of S and RS cars too. Plus the TT (marmite it or not, its a stylistic car). The rest of the line up could be described as fairly soft (aforementioned plebs choice A4 2.0 FWD) to under stated performance (a decked out A4 3.0TDI Quattro).

I was in an Octavia (2008 model) for the first time 3wks ago. The owners big gripe with it is "every taxi seems to have one". He previously described our daily driver (2000 E39 530i) as a "clapped out banger". After I got into the Octavia that statement became a source of amusment and frustration... its horrendous (not just "feeling", physical construction) inside. Its like what I imagine Chinese cars to look like. I dunno what engine is in it, but it was woefully slow and sounded dire too.

Now I understand the Superb is different, but lets call a spade a spade, Audi/VW are not morons, Skodas are on no level "just as good". You get what you pay for.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Unless you are the "lets buy a FWD A4 customer", I dont subscribe.
    At a guess, 90% of Audi saloons in this country are FWD.

At a guess, 90% of Audi saloons in this country are FWD.

Absolutely agree but its irrelevant.
    I dont hold Audi responsible for the retarded buying choices of our countrymen and neither should anyone else. They make some great cars, most people want cheap cars, but doesnt diminish their ability nor in anyway make competitor BrandX seem better or worse.

Essentially, Audi is selling out and diluting it's brand in search of volume sales (which is what the Passat and the Superb and are supposed to be for)

• Advertisement

Is the Chassis on a superb not just a 1 Gen old VAG chassis? THIS interior is as nice as any Audi and nicer than most Audi's I've ever been in. The few superbs I've seen so far seem to be well decked out, with the owners using the money saved from boggo spec A4's to spec up the interiors nicely.

A 1.4 plastic spec Octavia, is a slightly worse place to sit than a 1.6 plastic spec A4 granted, but the basic trim that the Superb comes with will mean even the cheapest model is streets ahead of the Passats & A4's in terms of spec and interior layout. That's before you get to the way superior legroom.

Matt is it not (on a cheaper level obviously) a similar comparison to the Phaeton you used to own, a stunning beautifully built super saloon with only the VW badge going against it (i mean that from a person buying it new perspective, made for a great 2nd hand buy for you). It was a Bentley continental in a cheaper suit, but still a car that was better than 95% of the cars on the road.

I'm really tempted to go the loaded with toys Superb vs the 05 520d mid spec route as my next sensible baby carrier.

Essentially, Audi is selling out and diluting it's brand in search of volume sales (which is what the Passat and the Superb and are supposed to be for)

Well thats one way of interpreting the figures (which were a guestimate to begin with). In a business sense, its poor practice to try to "tell" your customer what they want. I see them just doing the business thing for their shareholders, you know, making money. They arent a pop group or a charity, they have to do what it takes.

Besides, since when is what they do in Ireland representative of what they do as a global company?

But what we're talking about is perception of a brand. If you buy a car in Ireland then the only people you have to impress are the Irish. How can a country be in awe of a brand that in this country consists mostly of 100bhp 8 valve 1.6 petrols and smoky 1.9 TDIS (with or without RS4 kits)

If every A4 or A6 out there is shoite spec, then that reflects on the one you drive be it top spec or entry level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Is the Chassis on a superb not just a 1 Gen old VAG chassis? THIS interior is as nice as any Audi and nicer than most Audi's I've ever been in. The few superbs I've seen so far seem to be well decked out, with the owners using the money saved from boggo spec A4's to spec up the interiors nicely.

A 1.4 plastic spec Octavia, is a slightly worse place to sit than a 1.6 plastic spec A4 granted, but the basic trim that the Superb comes with will mean even the cheapest model is streets ahead of the Passats & A4's in terms of spec and interior layout. That's before you get to the way superior legroom.

Matt is it not (on a cheaper level obviously) a similar comparison to the Phaeton you used to own, a stunning beautifully built super saloon with only the VW badge going against it (i mean that from a person buying it new perspective, made for a great 2nd hand buy for you). It was a Bentley continental in a cheaper suit, but still a car that was better than 95% of the cars on the road.

I'm really tempted to go the loaded with toys Superb vs the 05 520d mid spec route as my next sensible baby carrier.

The superb sits ontop of a stretched out Passat B5 (1 gen old as you said) chassis!

it's extremely well kitted out, far better than any Audi I've been in. Either test drove or on the forecourt!

Paul

Is the Chassis on a superb not just a 1 Gen old VAG chassis? THIS interior is as nice as any Audi and nicer than most Audi's I've ever been in.
    That is very nice indeed, are they like that in reality? I wouldnt say better than a mid-range Audi, but absolutely no worse.
    Matt is it not (on a cheaper level obviously) a similar comparison to the Phaeton you used to own, a stunning beautifully built super saloon with only the VW badge going against it

Lol, the amount of times thats thrown back at me! Yes, the concept is similar. The difference however is the Phaeton was the platform and chassis (and the factory and the assembly workers) the Flying Spur was based on. The Superb is presumably, as you stated, some obsolete repurposed VAG chassis. To get the "best" one you need to buy something else from VAG. There is also the matter that the Phaeton was VWs flagship and had its own world leading engines, the Superb is VWs attempt to upmarket Skoda and increase their ASP.

I would love however to pick up a 3.6 AWD estate Superb for a song in a few years, it will be very hard to compete with pricewise 2nd hand. With the glass roof of course!
    Skoda-Superb-Combi-05.jpg
    But what we're talking about is perception of a brand. If you buy a car in Ireland then the only people you have to impress are the Irish. How can a country be in awe of a brand that in this country consists mostly of 100bhp 8 valve 1.6 petrols and smoky 1.9 TDIS (with or without RS4 kits)
    If every A4 or A6 out there is shoite spec, then that reflects on the one you drive be it top spec or entry level.
    Im not talking about perception at all. I could care less. What Im disputing is the suggestion that Audi VW and Skoda cars are poured from the same jug. They are not built the same, from the same parts or with the same portfolio of parts. This is a fact that people are glossing over due to their resentment of other VAG products and the champion the little guy mentality.
    Also "every A4/A6" being bottom spec is grossly inaccurate. With the new Tax system Ive seen plenty of 3.0TDIs and well spec'ed models, plus A8s and TTs which dont really have crap specs. Regardless, I dont get your point, we should dislike Audi as there is a perception people buy the cheapest models here? I just dont get it, I like some of them for technical merit. If Mary and Tom down the road buy a boggo spec, it doesnt undermine my (hypothetical car, dont have an Audi) cars technical excellence. It would seem you are more affected by perception and badge "awareness" than most.
    flamegrill wrote: »
    The superb sits ontop of a stretched out Passat B5 (1 gen old as you said) chassis!
    it's extremely well kitted out, far better than any Audi I've been in. Either test drove or on the forecourt!
    Paul
    Um... I had a B5 Chassis Vag (Audi S4) car, it was made in 1998...
    Current platform is B8.

• Advertisement
Advertisement