Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Superb, wow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

THIS is taken from the Skoda Ireland website, and the LCD screen comes standard on the elegance model so it is a standard high spec interior, not just some press shot of a car with 30K worth of extras.

It's not like any of the current range of VAG products other that the Flagships, GTI's, S/RS, 3.0TDi's etc are the last word in driving dynamics (same goes for BMW and MERC too), and I haven't driven a superb yet, but for all intents and purposes, with the exception of the tax band (as they are older VAG engines they miss out slightly on the €156 PA tax bracket and fall into the €300 odd tax band) I doubt the subtle differences in handling, chassis stiffness and weight distribution will be appreciated by the average Irish driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Matt Simis wrote: »

Im not talking about perception at all. I could care less. What Im disputing is the suggestion that Audi VW and Skoda cars are poured from the same jug.

Also "every A4/A6" being bottom spec is grossly inaccurate. With the new Tax system Ive seen plenty of 3.0TDIs and well spec'ed models, plus A8s and TTs which dont really have crap specs.

I wouldn't entertain the idea that Skodas and Audis are the same either, I simply think that a basic Audi isn't superior to a top spec Skoda just because that basic Audi is available with proper spec and engines.

Also re tax system, 08 and 09 cars only count for a small percentage of cars in Ireland, and for every person that bought a bigger engined Audi, 10 more got themselves a basic diesel one from the UK.

Most people in Ireland buy an Audi because of brand awareness and marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

The passat B5 is the prior chassi for the VW Passat than what I drive today which is the B6. The B6 chassis is what any passat upto today is on.

So the superb is 1Gen older than the Current. I drove a B5 passat for 3 years, it was a great car.

The interior in the new Superb is a mix of Vag parts. The glasses holder/lighting rig in the roof is taken directly from the new Passat. To say they don't share a parts bin is complete nonesense.

The Superb's engine is the same common rail 170PS engine you can get in any VAG. Again shared amoung them.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

Superb is based on the VAG PQ46 chassis which is also shared with the current Passat. Chassis design is modular that allows the Superb to have an extended wheelbase over the current Passat.

Kafer. I stand corrected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_A_platform has the full list of details. So it's one of the latest and greatest VAG chassis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

flamegrill wrote: »
    The passat B5 is the prior chassi for the VW Passat than what I drive today which is the B6. The B6 chassis is what any passat upto today is on.

So the superb is 1Gen older than the Current. I drove a B5 passat for 3 years, it was a great car.

The interior in the new Superb is a mix of Vag parts. The glasses holder/lighting rig in the roof is taken directly from the new Passat. To say they don't share a parts bin is complete nonesense.

The Superb's engine is the same common rail 170PS engine you can get in any VAG. Again shared amoung them.

Paul

Lets not confuse things. I like the Superb, I dont have an issue with brand perception. I liketo see people buying new cars.
    But what I don't like is hyperbole and general inaccuracies purposely used to prove a point.

Parts
    I never said they didnt share any parts, I said they dont share all parts nor even the best parts. There is a oversimplication that cars are like lego and your just follow a guide, one is an A4 and the other a Seat Leon. That is naive at best.

Chassis
    I think you are massaging the figures here.
    The current Passat is using the B6 PQ46 platform, which is to say its a long wheelbase Golf platform.
    Audis use(d, its 2 gens obsolete) the B6 PL46 platform, which is what the B5 evolved to (the PQ46 is a different platform).

The fact you are hyping a platform introduced originally in 1996 as a "1 Gen old" is a bit of a stretch, thankfully for you the Superb is based on the LWB Golf platform.

Engines
    Here are the line up of engines in the SuperbII (Wikipedia)

Petrol engines:
    1.4 L I4 TSI (yes, 1.4 like a Polo, I $hit you not)
    1.8 L I4 TSI
    3.6 L VR6 FSI 4motion
    Diesel engines:
    1.9 L I4 TDI PD Greenline
    2.0 L I4 TDI PD
    2.0 L I4 TDI CR

Where is the 3.0TDI?! 1.4, 1.8 and 1.9TDI engines have no business in the SuperbII. If its an upmarket car, it needs an upmarket engine. The 3.6 petrol 4motion car sounds excellent (even if that engine is dropped from rest of VAG). But clearly the Superb has a poor engine range choice, the same car from Audi has newer engines and more options. All Im saying if its not a rebadged Audi X, its a Skoda thats aimed at improving their brand image and increasing ASP. Thats not a bad thing, thats just what it is.

The A3 also uses the 1.4 TSI engine as does the Passat.

So it's not ok for Skoda to have a 122hp petrol engine in the Superb but the 100hp 1.6 8 valve in the A4 (a car which lets remember is supposed to be related to the R8 and TT) was good enough for the A4 until recently?

As you pointed out about Audi earlier, Skoda is also sold in other more important markets than here, there is obviously demand for small engines in other (closer to home) markets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Cause you dont have to remove it all the time to stop it getting robbed, its neater, better looking, bigger screen usually, interrupts the radio and phone with instructions, Also an iphone is more flexible if that what your after.....
    You don't have to remove it because you can't. They're pointless in this country, I've used my Garmin around 4 times in the last 3 years in this country, but I'd be lost without it every time I go abroad, it's invaluable. F**k all good your fancy looking Skoda one is when you're in Italy and the Superb is in the long term! I have an iPhone too, and that wouldn't replcae the Garmin either, don't like the Navigon system or the poor reception of the GPS when it's not using the network to assist it.
    As I said, if the car has it then good, it's a nice to have. But you'd want the noggin examined to pay extra to have it. I think Audi were charging over €1500 to add one to an A4 a couple of years ago. What moran would pay that?
    That's the problem with Irish buyers. Everyone wants buttons and "features". I'd happily pay extra for an engine and/or drivetrain upgrade over a few extra buttons, but the majority of Irish judge a car by two things - size and number of buttons. (that's after badge of course! :D )

What could the 170 Bhp diesel engine be remapped to? Any idea how much the leather is as an extra, no mention on the website.

the 170 DSG elegance with leather and sunroof would be a very nice place to sit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

colm_mcm wrote: »

So it's not ok for Skoda to have a 122hp petrol engine in the Superb but the 100hp 1.6 8 valve in the A4 (a car which lets remember is supposed to be related to the R8 and TT) was good enough for the A4 until recently?

As you pointed out about Audi earlier, Skoda is also sold in other more important markets than here, there is obviously demand for small engines in other (closer to home) markets

Don't forget colm, Audi now offer the A4 with a 1.8T engine producing 120bhp (so less than the 1.4 in the Superb).

How they've managed to produce a 1.8 engine, with a turbo, and keep it down to 120bhp, is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did anyone mention its got a big boot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Victor_M wrote: »
    What could the 170 Bhp diesel engine be remapped to? Any idea how much the leather is as an extra, no mention on the website.

the 170 DSG elegance with leather and sunroof would be a very nice place to sit.

Don't know about remapping, but I'd say 200-210 (same engine gets those results in the Octy RS).

Leather is standard on the Elegance, €1,764 + €450 for heated seats on the Ambition (1.9), but isn't listed for the Comfort or Greenline.

Could have it retro fitted for less than €2,000 - which is what we did for an Ambition model last year.

Where is the 3.0TDI?!
    Not there and not likely to be due to the transverse layout in the Superb, and in-line in the Audi's.
    Victor_M wrote:
    Any idea how much the leather is as an extra, no mention on the website.
    It must be standard, apparently it has better spec than the Insignia Elite, which does have leather as standard, so I'd assume the Superb Elegance must.

The A3 is a small hatch back. I wouldnt be extolling its virtues, certainly not an over-priced under-spec'ed 1.4 model. However the A3, run of the mill, bottom of line up vs the pinnacle of Skoda's line up (and part of their new image) and they share the same weak and cheap engine? Its not ok to put it in a Passat either. Its even more "not ok" to put in a Superb, but goes to show a somewhat convolted view of the product within VAG.
    You seem to be proving my point!?

How is the A4 related (technically meaningful way) to the TT and how are they both related to the R8? Ive never even alluded to something so absurd. 1.6 in an A4.. also rubbish (and IRC years ago), dont care though, nothing to do with my point.
    Making a case that some other car has a crap engine so its ok that a top of the line cruiser has it too.. is weak. Its crap, the Superb isnt meant to be a crappy poverty spec car, therefore it weakens its image to range it. So does the 1.9TDI variant (its as old as the hills).

I dont even know what the argument is about, your case seems to be trying to undermine Audi at every possible venture, mine is that Skoda are not simply rebadged Audis but have their own merits.
    Your argument seems to be portable and you could go on this crusade on any vaguely VAG related thread, nice for you and all, but why? What is your end point here? We get it, you dont like Audi's. I dont like most of them either. That doesnt raise Skoda to some higher level though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    You don't have to remove it because you can't. They're pointless in this country,

Exactly cant be stolen unless they want the entire car:rolleyes: I use mine a lot on trips or finding addresses, businesses, hotels, petrol stations etc. I usually just rent a sat nav if I am on holidays from the rental car people, also http://iphone.tomtom.com/ is excellent and much cheaper than a dedicated unit. I agree engine before gadgets, however I would go for integrated sat nav any day over a aftermarket one. And they are becoming fairly standard equipment just like integrated phone kits rather than aftermarket ones.

Exactly cant be stolen unless they want the entire car:rolleyes:
    It's hardly a chore to hide your portable one!

The A3 is a small hatch back. I wouldnt be extolling its virtues, certainly not an over-priced under-spec'ed 1.4 model. However the A3, run of the mill, bottom of line up vs the pinnacle of Skoda's line up (and part of their new image) and they share the same weak and cheap engine? Its not ok to put it in a Passat either. Its even more "not ok" to put in a Superb, but goes to show a somewhat convolted view of the product within VAG.
    You seem to be proving my point!?
    I think it's bizzare that big cars have this turbocharged small when a normally aspirated slightly bigger engine could do the same job. You made the point earlier that the 1.6 or 1.9 versions of the A4 aren't representitive of the car.
    I think it's a shocking engine, I drove a Passat Comfortline with one and couldn't figure out who it would appeal to. Skoda have an extremely small product range and the Superb is only the "pinnacle" of their lineup by default :)

How is the A4 related (technically meaningful way) to the TT and how are they both related to the R8?

I thought the whole thrust of your argument for Audi was their higher spec models, surely the halo effect is what sells the basic ones. (thought you had mentioned the R8, turns out you didn't)
    Ive never even alluded to something so absurd. 1.6 in an A4.. also rubbish (and IRC years ago), dont care though, nothing to do with my point.
    Making a case that some other car has a crap engine so its ok that a top of the line cruiser has it too.. is weak. Its crap, the Superb isnt meant to be a crappy poverty spec car, therefore it weakens its image to range it. So does the 1.9TDI variant (its as old as the hills).
    You're absolutely right but I don't think bringing up the fact that they offer a 1.4 is much of an argument against the actual car if you still can respect a high spec A4 that's also offered with low powered engines.

I dont even know what the argument is about, your case seems to be trying to undermine Audi at every possible venture, mine is that Skoda are not simply rebadged Audis but have their own merits.
    Your argument seems to be portable and you could go on this crusade on any vaguely VAG related thread, nice for you and all, but why? What is your end point here? We get it, you dont like Audi's. I dont like most of them either. That doesnt raise Skoda to some higher level though.
    I don't dislike Audis (I love the TT and all the S and RS models) but I'm disillusioned by people's opinions that "Irish" Audis are in any way good. I also don't like the way VW deliberately held back on the styling of the Superb so as not to tempt buyers from their other products.
    The comparison between a Superb and a high spec A6 isn't fair, but a comparison between what Skoda do for €30k and what Audi do for €40k has to be fair.
    Ask most people the difference between an A4 and a Superb and most will bring up styling and interior plastics, both dirt cheap to rectify in the design stages if they actually wanted to)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'm driving a rental 1.4tsi passat at the moment and all I'll say is don't knock it until you try it. It's suprisingly peppy and for what is an entry level engine is more than adequate. AFAIK the 1.9 tdi is to be phased out shortly...think I read somewhere the 1.6 cr tdi might be going in:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

R.O.R wrote: »
    Don't know about remapping, but I'd say 200-210 (same engine gets those results in the Octy RS).

And what would that become then, a TDI or would it just remain TDI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

EPM wrote: »
    I'm driving a rental 1.4tsi passat at the moment and all I'll say is don't knock it until you try it. It's suprisingly peppy and for what is an entry level engine is more than adequate. AFAIK the 1.9 tdi is to be phased out shortly...think I read somewhere the 1.6 cr tdi might be going in:confused:

Pah. Im driving a rental 09 2.0 Petrol Passat and its missing a turbo so making it not exactly peppy.

I drove the 1.6 Passat a few weeks back and was very underwhelmed by it.

Now, should I be somebody looking to simply pay cheap tax and get places rather than getting there with power then I might consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Wow.........nine pages about a Skoda!! You guys need to get out more.:pac:

junkyard wrote: »
    Wow.........nine pages about a Skoda!! You guys need to get out more.:pac:

Ah leave us alone:D
    I've spent the day looking at reviews and CBG at these, it's so much good car for the money. A remapped 170 and you are not really sacrificing anything. I'm struggling to think of a better (newish) car for the same amount of money.

Regardless of the negativity. I ordered one in December. I'd have it now except the weather is too bad here in Carlow/Kilkenny to go get her.

It's a savage car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themusicman

Just dropped in on this and am not a petrol head.

I have bought a superb and would say it as a family car that is as good as any family car I drove. It has acres of legroom in the back and a boot that you could sleep in. Would recomend it to anyone who does a bit of milage

I traded in a lexus IS200 for it!!!

Stop laughing

Just dropped in on this and am not a petrol head.

I have bought a superb and would say it as a family car that is as good as any family car I drove. It has acres of legroom in the back and a boot that you could sleep in. Would recomend it to anyone who does a bit of milage

I traded in a lexus IS200 for it!!!

Stop laughing

Well at least you got rid of the Lexus I suppose, a sticky little motor to have on your forecourt.:)

• Advertisement

Regardless of the negativity. I ordered one in December. I'd have it now except the weather is too bad here in Carlow/Kilkenny to go get her.

It's a savage car for the money.

Any chance of spec and price? What sort of discounts should a potential purchaser expect to be getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

You made the point earlier that the 1.6 or 1.9 versions of the A4 aren't representitive of the car. I think it's a shocking engine.

102 HP in a car that size is ridiculous and unsafe. That is clear. The 1.6 102 has now been dropped and replaced by the 1.8 in two states of tune - 120 BHP and 160 BHP - not going to set the world on fire but definitely more capable. The 120 TDI is fine as entry level diesel and adequate in terms of performance for what you need it in Ireland for - no more no less! As Matt said - its not Audis fault that customers all swarm to entry level. For a couple of thousand euro more you could get the 170TDI quattro but how many do you see on the roads?

I also don't like the way VW deliberately held back on the styling of the Superb so as not to tempt buyers from their other products.
    The comparison between a Superb and a high spec A6 isn't fair, but a comparison between what Skoda do for €30k and what Audi do for €40k has to be fair.
    Ask most people the difference between an A4 and a Superb and most will bring up styling and interior plastics, both dirt cheap to rectify in the design stages if they actually wanted to)

All part of overall VW group strategy, the last thing they want to do is to let one brand cannibalise the other. It wouldnt make sense for Skoda to compete directly against VW buyers or for VW buyers to compete directly against Audi buyers - whats the point? Every VW brand has a role to play and each are positioned differently in the minds of buyers.

Skoda - Value Champion - cheap cheerful and reliable - value for money, conservative styling.
    VW - Positioned slightly more upmarket than Skoda with more products. Classical styling. Perceived as well built and reliable.
    Seat - Positioned as a sportier version of VW - (mostly) good looking range of cars. Sportiers styling than either of the other two.
    Audi - Premium brand of the VW group - positioned as sporty, progressive and luxurious. Sporty styling.
    Porsche Lamborghini and Bugatti arent relevant here.

Any chance of spec and price? What sort of discounts should a potential purchaser expect to be getting?

1.9TDi 105BHP Elegance with Metallic (On the Road Price) €26,425

2.0TDi unsure. Didn't ask.

I thought the whole thrust of your argument for Audi was their higher spec models, surely the halo effect is what sells the basic ones. (thought you had mentioned the R8, turns out you didn't)

Not really what I was commenting on, though a 1.6 in an A4 is poor offer, Audi have a brand image already established and a free'er to offer junk than Skoda are. 1.4 (irrelvant of its BHP) in something as classy as the Superb hurts the cars image. And I dont want to come across as overly negative on the SuperbII, its a far better value buy than any Audi (I suspect, never been in one) and possibly the best "new car" purchase from VAG.

But I dont think we are really even in disagreement, Im just pointing, as stated, that we need to get away from the idea that when you buy Audi over Skoda you only get a different badge. That's overly generous to Skoda and annoys me as much as badge snobbery, as thats what it is, inverted badge snobbery, like the people buying Prius's to look down on everyone else, there is an aura of "buying Skoda makes you smarter than everyone else as you arent being fooled".
    Buying Skoda in my opinion is a bit of lucky dip, some gems (pending individual requirements) amongst a mass of cheap, low end and retasked older generation but functional product. Which is exactly (baring the SuperbII) what they say on the tin, as per RedorDead's post. If Skoda dont do it, who does? Maybe Suzuki when VW take over. :D

Standard 170PS Elegance. Cash price 31500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

Just had a look at the price list again, and spotted this in the small print:

"Leather interiors are supplied in genuine and artificial leather combination. Please discuss with your local Škoda Dealer"

So while the photos of the interior look great, I wonder how much of it is trimmed in vinyl?

Vinyl or not, I think it's a huge spec for the money, but the estate looks a lot better than the saloon. I'm with MattSimis- I'll have a used estate after a couple of years, tho' I'd prefer the diesel with DSG - I'm way too stingy to pay the tax and fuel for a 3.6 petrol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

useless wrote: »
    Just had a look at the price list again, and spotted this in the small print:

"Leather interiors are supplied in genuine and artificial leather combination. Please discuss with your local Škoda Dealer"

So while the photos of the interior look great, I wonder how much of it is trimmed in vinyl?

Usually this means the bits you come into contact with are leather, bits that you don't (seat backs/sides) are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

Buying Skoda in my opinion is a bit of lucky dip, some gems (pending individual requirements) amongst a mass of cheap, low end and retasked older generation but functional product. Which is exactly (baring the SuperbII) what they say on the tin, as per RedorDead's post. If Skoda dont do it, who does? Maybe Suzuki when VW take over. :D

The current range of Skodas are based on the newest platforms and you are getting the most up to date technology and engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....:(.....

..I just wrote THE most eloquent reply to all of the above, but due to a keyboard fubar (touch typing........:rolleyes:), hit f5 and lost it all.........:confused:

So, you'll have to do with the Campbell's version (canned :) )
    1. Let's say the Superb is the "-1 gen" chassis. Who cares, the vast majority who would be changing are driving something much older than that anyway, so it's still an improvement TO THEM - and that's what counts...
    2. If the "-1" theory (an arse to type, blind, btw..) were to hold water, then run-out models of all brands would be dubbed '****e'. When in fact, more often than not, they're the complete opposite. Mk1 anything is usually the ****e one.
    3. The current gen A6 is gorgeous. Suitably spec'd (+€€€), it's gorgeous, esp with the multitronic and 2.0Tdi engine. It is also a cart on anything other than billiard-smooth roads. So, newer is not always better (see above......)
    4. There is a school of thought that says the likes of the Superb are actually MORE suitable to Irish road conditions than anyting else. Given the appalling state of them, that's no bad thing......
    5. Don't dismiss Skoda quality. A lot of people love the TT, myself included, and it's THE car that got car mfr's thinking properly about interiors in the last 11 years. However.....it's built by czech's, sorry Hungarian's, btw.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...which brings me to the following:

...it's not just VAG who lose their way you know......

...in Killarney for the last two days, and leaving the Gleneagle hotel, Mrs Galwaytt says something like: 'white cars are in again, aren't they ?...that Hyundai looks really nice with the bodykit and wheels...'

Oh dear:

101454.JPG

A car that would make Geely proud, that is :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Kafer wrote: »
    The current range of Skodas are based on the newest platforms and you are getting the most up to date technology and engines.
    Yeah, kinda.
    Think this was already covered in detail.

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...which brings me to the following:

...it's not just VAG who lose their way you know......

...in Killarney for the last two days, and leaving the Gleneagle hotel, Mrs Galwaytt says something like: 'white cars are in again, aren't they ?...that Hyundai looks really nice with the bodykit and wheels...'

Oh dear:

101454.JPG

A car that would make Geely proud, that is :)
    I'd buy the Hyundai any day over a Merc, at least it wouldn't break down on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

I drive a Saab, nice car but nothing like the Superb. Definitely I'm going for the Skoda next time; they have pretty much shed the image that they inherited form the old aircooled junk that they used to make. This is a Passat in all but name, but with more legroom and better spec.
    In a couple of years time this will be one of the biggest selling marques in the larger car market, it gets better and better every time they update it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

1.4TSi is a performace car in a Golf etc. Other than that it is a overworked engine (think 1.6 N/A in a Bora). Dont fool yourselfs lad's, Common Rail Technolidgy is putting "pumpe duse" where it it belongs. Common Rail is exactly how Diesel should be burned. efficiently and effectingly.

I'm loving my lean burning Common Rail Superb with the DPF. Virtually no exhaust fumes which is deadly. Big difference from my 06 passat that's for sure. Picked her up today around 2:30pm as the roads finally thawed a fair bit here in Carlow.

Loving all the little things it has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Good luck flamegrill with the Superb. How does it compare to your Passat in relation to ride comfort and road and engine noise. Thanks and happy motoring.

Good luck flamegrill with the Superb. How does it compare to your Passat in relation to ride comfort and road and engine noise. Thanks and happy motoring.

The ride comfort is definately better in the Superb. One thing to note is that it needs to be broken in like any car so it's a little early stages yet.

Road noise seems reduced over my 06 passat. Feature set doesn't really compare tbh. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

How long has this new version of the Superb been available here? Is it the same as the one that has been available in the UK since 08?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Scruff wrote: »
    How long has this new version of the Superb been available here? Is it the same as the one that has been available in the UK since 08?

Its been available here since Autumn 2008 as well, seems to be selling a bit better this year though,must be the combination of reduced prices and a lot more specification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Congrats on the car. I am won over by the estate to be honest. I own an estate and I dont think I would go for a saloon for my own needs.

Whats the performance like compared to the Passat?
    You have the 170bhp Common rail TDshizzle yeah?

Id say you could remap that to about 200ish. If you felt the need.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sheafield

:confused:Hi flamegrill and congrats on new wheels! Just a small question, i'm awaiting delievery on a Skoda superb elegance. Just forgot to ask dealer one question. Does this model come with a media in socket for your ipod in the glove box or is it just an aux socket. Checked out features of Colombus sat nav on youtube and looks fantastic but media in works much better than aux for total ipod control. thanks and happy skoda-ing!!!!!!!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Sounds like a nice car, smug name though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I stopped in on a skoda dealer to have a nose at the skoda out of curiosity, it wasnt really a car i was thinking of as a contender for my new family car. I have to say i was impressed. I had a good look at a Greenline and Ambition and was really impressed at the spec and interior of the Ambition. Even the Greenline had a great interior when compared to an entry level Mazda6 (which was my fav for new family car, before actually viewing any cars :p) The mazda was just soooo plasitc looking in comparison. The Superb also has so much more room. I really liked the sporty looks of the mazda but am rethinking priorities now!

For a car this size is 105bhp of the 1.9TDI not very underpowered? Me thinks the 170bhp would be better but a 170bhp Ambition is a good bit more than the 5-6k more than i was budgeting for...and i was looking for 09 cars...
    Actually there was a 09 Greenline there as well and they were asking for only 1k less than a new 10 Greenline list price ! With gov scrappage and their own top up scrappage deal the 09 asking price worked out at 4K more than a new car! Were is the depreciation on the 09????

flamegrill, what was the list price of the model you bought before haggling etc?

Scruff, the Superb Elegance is 31500 as a cash price and roughly 33500 on a trade in. The sat nav dvd is about 300 euro on top of that. You should be able to at least get that for 100 or 150 euro. they'll just pre-load it on your device and you won't get the DVD. Or don't pay for it and get it from another source.

The prices above are for the 170 BHP engine btw.

Paul

• Advertisement

Scruff, the Superb Elegance is 31500 as a cash price and roughly 33500 on a trade in. The sat nav dvd is about 300 euro on top of that. You should be able to at least get that for 100 or 150 euro. they'll just pre-load it on your device and you won't get the DVD. Or don't pay for it and get it from another source.

The prices above are for the 170 BHP engine btw.

Paul

Huh, my dealer said I would get the CD installed for free(not to keep) and any updates could be put on my system at an extra cost but the initial mapping would be free.

Shame Im not getting ANY car now! :mad:

Advertisement