Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plugins Day ....

Options
  • 05-01-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

As some of you may be aware we've recently started dealing seriously in Plug-Ins.

We've added Waves, URS, Softube, TC, SSL, Drumagog, Antares recently, with others being added soon.

With that in mind I'm thinking of doing a Plug-In Day with an experienced engineer or two demonstrating how they uses various plug-ins and why.

Hopefully we can do it in a City Centre Studio.

Any ideas on how you guys/gals might like this presented ?

Paul, Audio Warehouse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

This is a great idea and would love to go to such an event.

I think it would be cool if you could get some head to head testing going on between similar plugs e.g. the waves ssl v urs v ssl duende plugs.

I would also be very interested from a learning point of view to see experienced guys using plugs in day to day problems/jobs - what plugs they reach for, why and how they use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

SeanHurley wrote: »

I think it would be cool if you could get some head to head testing going on between similar plugs e.g. the waves ssl v urs v ssl duende plugs.

Yes I was thinking of something like that ok.

I was also thinking of doing a comparison with something like a Hardware 1176. There are lots of Plugins based on it so it would be interesting to hear a comparison.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Yes I was thinking of something like that ok.

I was also thinking of doing a comparison with something like a Hardware 1176. There are lots of Plugins based on it so it would be interesting to hear a comparison.

Yes maybe some of the X-Rack stuff against the waves, duende, urs stuff. Excellent stuff.

SeanHurley wrote: »
    Yes maybe some of the X-Rack stuff against the waves, duende, urs stuff. Excellent stuff.

Yup that's doable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭DIRTY69

Sounds interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

great idea.. couldnt make it to the last open day paul put together in tipp but hopefully will bw around for this

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭danjokill

Great idea ... i'm in !

Cool ... one of the guys from Softube will definitely be over. I'm hoping to get others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Des Claypool

this sounds like a fantastic idea

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

+1. Sounds like a great idea.

Would it be possible on the day to explore the idea of using different compressor models for colour rather than simply dynamic control? From what I read, it seems a lot of producers are using volume automation to make vocals etc "sit" in the mix & are using compressors more for effect or for altering transients on drums etc?

www.jjvernon.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Brown

Very interested. Agree with the idea to compare plugins (such as the plethora of SSL plugs). Maybe also look at successful combinations of plugins too, Maybe a specific part of the session on plugin combos on the stereo buss...

I think any of those things are doable on the day with the flick of a virtual switch ....

The main problem now is convincing one of the hot engineer guys to do a demo for me !

The Very Talented Phil Hayes has agreed to help us on our Plug-Ins day.

Phil, as you may know, recently recorded and mixed Bell X1's album and mixed the latest Jerry Fish album too.

I'm hoping some of the very talented Boards guys (no sit down I'LL be the judge of that !) will row in too.

Details as they appear ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

just give a bit of notice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

tres cool Paul. I'm in and thanks.

How's about Thursday 18th of February in Dubalin Town ?

I'll half inch a Studio and let you know.

Richard 'Ricquie' Palmer from SSL will be there with Duende and Plugins.

I should have a guy from Softube and am inviting guys from URS, Waves, TC, SPL and anyone else I can find.

Sounds good dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Sounds great.. Do i need to bring the gold card:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Sweet. Dude. Sweet.

Tuesday the 16th it is ... not Thursday.

One of the UK guys will represent Drumagog and Antares which should be interesting.

TC can't make it but promise some deals on the day which is always good.

• Advertisement

I should have news on Tuesday about what I hope will be a fabulous venue for the Plug-Ins day....

Great News !

Our Plugins day will be in Studio 1 Windmill Lane.

Tony Perrey and his team gave me a great welcome this afternoon and we chewed much Audio related fat .

Having such an venerable venue is great and as well as being technically ideally suited to what we want to do it has heaps of room.

It's shaping up to be an exciting event.

I just heard Eventide are on board now too

http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/PlugIns.aspx

I've not heard of any of their Plug-Ins yet but if they're on par with their Hardware they'll be very good !

Soundtoys, GRM and Audioease are now on board too !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

flippin' brilliant Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Great idea Paul, may I shine your shoes? Bit of spit and polish my good sir?? :)

dav nagle wrote: »
    Great idea Paul, may I shine your shoes? Bit of spit and polish my good sir?? :)

Yes please ...

Steve Helm will be over with Demos of BFD2 and Synth Squad.

JJV wrote: »
    +1. Sounds like a great idea.

Would it be possible on the day to explore the idea of using different compressor models for colour rather than simply dynamic control? From what I read, it seems a lot of producers are using volume automation to make vocals etc "sit" in the mix & are using compressors more for effect or for altering transients on drums etc?

www.jjvernon.com

Indeed -

I think Waves Vocal Rider will get guys thinking that way ok. URS Comp plugins are very much that way inclined too having a strong sonic personality.
    The Softube Tubetech comp also has a strong musical sound to it , even when the gain reduction meter is still.
    Similarly the SPL Transient designer is a big sound shaper.

You know how these events run JJ - the attendees decide how things go. I think there will be enough expertise in attendance to answer and hopefully demonstrate the answer to any question.

• Advertisement

Drop me a line via -

www.AudioWarehouse.ie

just to let me know likely numbers , Cheers.

Advertisement