Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating Animals - Jonathan Safran Foer

Options
  • 05-01-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Anybody read this? Just arrived from Amazon for me (don't think it's actually been released here yet.)

Looks promising - I enjoyed his novels (Everything is Illuminated and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.)

Anyway, thought it might be of interest.

http://www.eatinganimals.com/

“The everyday horrors of factory farming are evoked so vividly, and the case against the people who run the system is presented so convincingly, that anyone who, after reading Foer’s book, continues to consume the industry’s products must be without a heart, or impervious to reason, or both.”
    —J. M. Coetzee, author of The Lives of Animals

"What makes Eating Animals so unusual is vegetarian Foer's empathy for human meat eaters, his willingness to let both factory farmers and food reform activists speak for themselves, and his talent for using humor to sweeten a sour argument."
    —O, The Oprah Magazine

"I'm still eating meat but I'm eating less of it. And, I'll never look at shrink-wrapped chicken cutlets the same way again."
    —Mickey Rapkin, GQ

"Wholly compelling....A blend of solid-and discomforting-reportage with fierce advocacy that will make committed carnivores squeal."
    —Kirkus Reviews

"...Horrifically enlightening..."
    —BookPage

"An intelligent and convincing work about the moral and environmental effect of our dietary choices, specifically as they apply to eating animals....Foer's ability to synthesize his personal opinion, research and objective argument makes his a welcome addition to a growing body of work on the subject. What distinguishes Foer's book is the attention he pays to narrative; that is, the stories we build around the food we eat and the culture and tradition built through these stories. An extremely powerful and incredibly illuminating look at the moral and environmental impact of eating animals."
    —Shelf Awareness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I heard about this book from a non-veggie who read a proof copy a few weeks ago. She thought it was a great read and didn't want to put the book down 'til she finished it. Also, it really made her want to greatly reduce the amount of meat she eats, even though she doesn't eat all that much as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I just bought this book today, have wanted it for a while, and seeing it in Waterstones, said to myself 'gwan sure buy it even if you are broke'.
    Heard some good things about it.
    Anyone read it already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Merged with original thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Haha oops, sorry didn't know there was one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Finally got around to reading this last week. It's really well written and very persuasive. It's very specific to the situation in the States though and I'm not really sure to what extent the anecdotes and statistics are comparable to the situation in Europe/Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement