Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to check pressure in central heating?

• 05-01-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

just got my heating fixed after a long time out and felt cold bits on the rads so decided to bleed them. there was no hissing but the water just sort of dribbled out. its cold on the bottom middle of the rads so is it a pressure thing? where does it get its water and do i have to top up if it is low?

or should i just let it run a while, turn up the thermostat? like i said it hasn't worked in a while so might just be slow;)

oh yeah its just a regular oil burner.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

breadbin wrote: »
    just got my heating fixed after a long time out and felt cold bits on the rads so decided to bleed them. there was no hissing but the water just sort of dribbled out. its cold on the bottom middle of the rads so is it a pressure thing? where does it get its water and do i have to top up if it is low?

or should i just let it run a while, turn up the thermostat? like i said it hasn't worked in a while so might just be slow;)

oh yeah its just a regular oil burner.

Have a look in your attic, look for a small heating tank called header tank, that should be full of water, if its full provided no valve is isolating supply to heating, system will top up itself.

If your heating is being fed of cold water storage (large tank in attic), make sure valve from tank to heating is open (normally located in hot press, half inch valve) if so again like above, system will top up itself.

Last is mains water, system might be filled off mains, you'll have to find out where filling valve is, could be anywhere, most user valves located in hot press.

Sounds like you don't have a pressure gauge, must be tank fed, no real pressure to check, (only gravity).

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

wow thanks, ill have a look, i was just wondering cos online the experts say when you bleed a rad it hisses and mine didn't so was just curious:)

Advertisement