Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you date someone with a kid?

• 05-01-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Ok, was talking to a friend regarding this matter. Here is a question for everyone, would someone having a child/children from a previous relationship;

a - make you run a thousand miles in the opposite direction.

b - make you think the person really has to be worth it.

c - doesn't matter at all.

Would potential partners with a child/children make you 168 votes

run for the hills
    0% 0 votes
    make you think, they better be worth it
    29% 49 votes
    doesn't matter because you really like the parent
    28% 48 votes
    I am not raising some other person's spawn
    42% 71 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

b. is my choice.

But I take such considerations with everyone. But yeah, b. for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

If I really liked someone, I wouldn't mind if he had a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

Not if I was with a kid, they're to much hassle when im chattin a bird up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I'd probably be a bit hesitant, but ultimately yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

when i was 21 i went out with a girl who had a son, didnt bother me at all and i became good friends with the child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

depends if it was mine or not;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

A yore ma comment deleted from AH... what is the world coming to. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Decided to add a poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ContyHooks

Not in a million years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Where's the option for pretending to like the kid until you get into her pants?

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Where's the option for pretending to like the kid until you get into her pants?

Was thinking of putting that in, but thought it was offensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I dont see why not, but rest assured if the kid were to cockblock me, I would not hesitate to punch it in the side of the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Was thinking of putting that in, but thought it was offensive!

:D

Seriously though, it would make me approach things a lot more cautiously but if they were worth it, I'd give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

R0ot wrote: »
    The time of the yore ma jokes has passed my friend. As a time traveller you of all people should know that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Have dated girls with a kid in the past. Wouldn't date a girl with more than one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Depends. I'm young at the moment and have no intention of having children yet. I'd like to wait until i'm older, if I did go out with a woman with a child, then I could become the child's stepfather eventually. But I wouldn't mind to be honest at the right time, i'd have no problem settling down with a woman with a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    The time of the yore ma jokes has passed my friend. As a time traveller you of all people should know that :p

Touché sir, touché

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I'd date them but I wouldn't be too serious about it. I certainly wouldn't consider the person as long-term partner material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Probably not, would probably stay friends though. By the time I'd find out he had a kid I wouldn't have gotten attached anyway. I might continue dating, but once the kid started getting in the way I'd probs bail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

/Runs to the hills. Runs for his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I deleted 400 one day.
    I was really bored.

OT, I've had crushes on two chicks with kids.
    That they had kids didn't bother me at all.
    While spending time with these women, they kids got to know me and they liked me. There was no bother.

Or sex. ****ing bitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

It would really depend on how much i liked him. Have done in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It's progress. You'll find out when you finally register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Depends really, but if I really like the girl I was going out with, I don't think I'd care if she had a kid... Once we start getting into kids territory is when I might start to draw the line.

But if a girl I fell in love with did happen to have a child from a past relationship, I don't think it would affect me one way or another, and I'd do my level best to be a good friend and a good parent to the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭PFJSplitter

Age and character of the child would be an important consideration...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A year ago i posted in a similar thread and said no fupping way!!!
    now i'm not so sure mainly because kids are starting to grow on me a bit.

would still prefer my own though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Age and character of the child would be an important consideration...

Absolutely. Need to gauge threesome possibilities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Would and did date single mums, and married one in the end. Best thing I ever did.
    Wife and son package deal, cant resist a bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Stee wrote: »
    ffs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I'm not sure to be honest.

I think having a kid with someone creates a massive bond between people; regardless of why they're not together anymore, they still share this amazing experience that resulted in their child.

I think it would be hard for me to accept all the baggage that would come with the situation.

In saying that though, if I felt that spark with a guy who happens to have a kid who knows how I'd feel about it then?

Stee wrote: »

There is always one!:rolleyes:
    Gaspode wrote: »
    Would and did date single mums, and married one in the end. Best thing I ever did.
    Wife and son package deal, cant resist a bargain!

Haha, I never thought of it like that!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Single with a kid, following this with interest... Seems all is not lost!

Single with a kid, following this with interest... Seems all is not lost!

Well I was talking to my friend who is single with a son, heartbroken that she wouldn't find a decent fella. I am an unmarried mum too and I wondered it myself so I said I would put it out there and see what people thought

Well I was talking to my friend who is single with a son, heartbroken that she wouldn't find a decent fella. I am an unmarried mum too and I wondered it myself so I said I would put it out there and see what people thought

Haven't had a serious relationship in about 7 years. Have 'casually dated' I suppose you could say, and didn't seem to matter to those men that I have a son. But I can't say it wouldn't have been an issue for them further down the line

• Advertisement

Haven't had a serious relationship in about 7 years. Have 'casually dated' I suppose you could say, and didn't seem to matter to those men that I have a son. But I can't say it wouldn't have been an issue for them further down the line

Well I am not too bothered about getting a fella. It's just in a few years if I decide that I might want to settle down and get married, will I get a decent man that will accept the 2 of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Fair play to fellas who can accept another womans kid(s). I think I'd only be able to think of them as some other chancers cast-offs and I know certainly wouldn't love them as much as my own. That's why I wouldn't want to go down that road in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'd go for the kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

B)

Would consider it and give it a chance but long term possibility would probably be affected.

However on the upside, if they were really worth it then that wouldnt matter.

Well I am not too bothered about getting a fella. It's just in a few years if I decide that I might want to settle down and get married, will I get a decent man that will accept the 2 of us!

Have no interest in settling down or even having a boyfriend, and i'm 30! But yes, I would date someone with a kid. Wouldn't be an issue for me, but can totally see why it would be for some. (This site got blocked at work and just figured out how to use it on my phone, wahoo. But apologies for no paragraphs)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

brummytom wrote: »
    I'd go for the kid

bit old for you though:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Not an issue for me. After college I dated a girl for a year who had a 2 year old kid. It didn't impinge much on our relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭gidget

Haven't been in that situation yet but I'd have no problem with dating a guy with a kid at all. If it was a relationship that is going well and we are looking long term, i'd also be vigilant about just how involved and interested he is in his kid. If he's no interest in the child and brushes off his responsiblities i'd wouldn't see myself sticking with him for too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Archimedes wrote: »
    I dont see why not, but rest assured if the kid were to cockblock me, I would not hesitate to punch it in the side of the head.

Or kick it in the face hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

No problem. As long as the kid wasn't a little brat, I'd never let it put me off a girl I really liked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I wouldn't see any problem with seeing a girl with a kid. But not if the kid was over 10 and only one kid. I think it's more that it wouldn't suit my lifestyle more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

My girlfriend has a son. She was very upfront about it and it didn't put me off at all.

I'm currently setting him up for lifetime of supporting Shamrock Rovers.

He's already wearing the jersey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

She'd have to really impress me, love at first conversation kind of thing. Even still I think it would be too much grief. Meeting the father, meeting the paternal grandparents, diminishing time and funds I can invest in my own genepool, sounds like a nightmare. Other major risk is that in a few years I want kids and she isn't bothered because she already has one.

However if I was a single parent too I think it would be easier. Would feel like her family and child's family would accept me more and I wouldn't be the only one going through that nonsense, as well as being on an even level regarding genepool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Depends on how hot the kid is.

I am actually quite surpirsed so many people are open minded. From what I saw around home, not many fellas would, then again their mammys would think I would be after the family farm with a bit of road frontage!

• Advertisement
Advertisement