Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ide to esata - hard drive enclosure?

Options
  • 05-01-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

hi
    I'm upgrading my laptop. the new laptop has an esata port....

my main question is this, are there any external harddrive enclosures that will allow me to put my old ide laptop harddrive in and connect it to my new laptop via the esata port??

i have seen loads of enclosures with both ide to usb and sata to esata but can't find one that allows ide direct to esata..... :mad:

the reason for wanting this... i know that i can't boot windows from an external hard drive via usb (i think this is due to a power issue?? windows disables power to usb/harddrive hence windows fails to boot??), so my second question is....
    will windows boot from the external hd via esata???

question 3... if windows doesn't boot what about a linux OS?? are they easy to install??? and which is the best to install on a usb external hd??

thanks all for your help :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

hi
    I'm upgrading my laptop. the new laptop has an esata port....

my main question is this, are there any external harddrive enclosures that will allow me to put my old ide laptop harddrive in and connect it to my new laptop via the esata port??

i have seen loads of enclosures with both ide to usb and sata to esata but can't find one that allows ide direct to esata..... :mad:

the reason for wanting this... i know that i can't boot windows from an external hard drive via usb, so my second question is....
    will windows boot from the external hd via esata???

question 3... if windows doesn't boot what about a Mac OS?? are they easy to install on a PC???

thanks all for your help :p

I've never seen and IDE-ESATA dock but.....

Window 7 will boot from USB

And finally,installing OSX on any non Apple hardware is against their EULA
    and I do believe discussing it on Boards.ie is against the boards TOS

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jamesdonegal

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I've never seen and IDE-ESATA dock but.....

Window 7 will boot from USB

And finally,installing OSX on any non Apple hardware is against their EULA
    and I do believe discussing it on Boards.ie is against the boards TOS

ah.... best take the osx question down then... Thanks...
    the new machine will have win7 but just wanted to boot xp from the old laptop harddrive. (it prob won't be as simple as that?? prob need new drivers and all that good stuff)

Thanks again for your post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

ah.... best take the osx question down then... Thanks...
    the new machine will have win7 but just wanted to boot xp from the old laptop harddrive. (it prob won't be as simple as that?? prob need new drivers and all that good stuff)

Thanks again for your post :)

Its worth a shot.What you need to do first though is go into your BIOS (of your new laptop) and select boot by USB as the first preference..

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Something like this maybe, although its through a usb port http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductID=550155

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I boot al my windows through usb. Only our netbook didn't boot from a external HD. We had to make a usb dvd for that. Bought an enclosure and put dvd player in, can use it for a hard drive aswell so it dubbles up as docking station for old HD's now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

There are lots of ide/sata external enclosures, but i've yet to see a ide/E-sata version of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jamesdonegal

There are lots of ide/sata external enclosures, but i've yet to see a ide/E-sata version of this.

yeah i was thinking, could i then get a sata to esata cable?

Advertisement