Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSOD on New Build. . .

Options
  • 05-01-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Had XP going fine and downloaded all updates etc. for a day or two while installing Graphics Card etc, but keep getting a non-paged-area error and the far-famed BSOD. There's nothing else installed, really. I've run memtest86+ and it shows a pile of erros on one stick and a single error on the other. Is there any chance that the RAM is ok if it shows errors in memtest86+?

I'm about to return the two 2GB sticks of RAM I bought - any chance at all that there are some BIOS settings or something else still causing this?

The rest is as follows: 2 x 2GB sticks of GEIL 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, Asus M4079(?) EVO, AMD 955 processor, Corsair PSU, HD4870 card.

Would appreciate any help, as I could be in the same situation again when I get two more fresh sticks of RAM. .

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

tobriain wrote: »
    Had XP going fine and downloaded all updates etc. for a day or two while installing Graphics Card etc, but keep getting a non-paged-area error and the far-famed BSOD. There's nothing else installed, really. I've run memtest86+ and it shows a pile of erros on one stick and a single error on the other. Is there any chance that the RAM is ok if it shows errors in memtest86+?

I'm about to return the two 2GB sticks of RAM I bought - any chance at all that there are some BIOS settings or something else still causing this?

The rest is as follows: 2 x 2GB sticks of GEIL 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, Asus M4079(?) EVO, AMD 955 processor, Corsair PSU, HD4870 card.

Would appreciate any help, as I could be in the same situation again when I get two more fresh sticks of RAM. .

Thanks.

Either a RAM failure (most likely) or a RAM slot is faulty (less likley) try the town different sticks in all of the available slots.If it comes back with errors regardless of placement,then RMA (return) the RAM

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I got strange errors like that, and was going to RMA my RAM as well.

I had my RAM in slots 1&3, I swapped over to 2&4 and my problems went. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tobriain

Dunno. In this motherboard, there are two blue slots and two black one (1&2 ad 3&4). Tried the RAM in slots 1&2 - no good. Same with slots 3&4.

Will have to arrange to return them to HWV. Any advice?

Thanks again for the advice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Try getting into the BIOS and double-check that the RAM is set to the correct speed, timings and voltage! If no joy try upping the chipset voltage just a little and try again.

Grand. How do I find out what the RAM timings should be set to? Thanks.

• Advertisement

When I was installing the parts, for another reason, I had to remove the BIOS battery, clear it and reboot again. Maybe the timings were wiped when I did that. Is that possible? Or is there no getting away from the memtest86+ errors?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Grand. How do I find out what the RAM timings should be set to? Thanks.

Download a program called CPU-Z and go to the SPD tab for your ram. Also you could try getting it running stable at 1066 MHz first.

I thought this was something that had to be changed in the BIOS menus?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Clear the CMOS one more time just to be sure ;) Then head into the BIOS. For an M4A79 Evo most relevant options will probably be in the second menu across, called "Ai Tweaker" (?). I hope. Its that way on the Deluxe anyway. There should be all the frequencies and voltages for stuff in there. The DDR3 timings will have their own submenu; head into the DRAM Timing/Driving Config. menu halfway down the page.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I thought this was something that had to be changed in the BIOS menus?

Oh that will just tell you the specifications of the sticks, the changes must be made in the BIOS. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement