Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowfall Comparison to UK

Options
  • 05-01-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Why does the UK get heavy snowfall while Ireland does not? Any scientific reason for this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Closer to a colder continent, the North sea is a much better shower maker than the Irish sea, slightly less influenced by the Atlantic.

That's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Seemingly Britannia rules the flakes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

wtf..why don't we get treads retarded like this

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

Why does the UK get heavy snowfall while Ireland does not? Any scientific reason for this?

Thanks.

I dunno, no idea :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thats a good thread question, I was wondering the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

The Uk is our snow shield. They must be stopped...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

A very valid question KO9… I presume you mean the island of Britain and probably England & Wales (rather than Scotland in its more Northerly position closer to the arctic)?

Apart from the obvious differences in weather patterns - that may be affecting mainland Britain at different times to Ireland - it would be interesting to see if anyone has any insights into some of the predominant multifarious variables that result in England & Wales usually getting weather, that results in a greater amount of snowfall, than the island of Ireland during wintertime.

I am not qualified in this area so I can only presume that as Ireland gets more of a warming influence from the Gulf Stream than say England, this may be one reason. Also because Ireland is a smaller land mass totally bordered by the sea (especially the Atlantic) we are not as sheltered from its warming influence as England may be (A bit like why we get more rain than them).

As I said I’m not qualified in this area so I don’t know if that is correct, but I’m sure some of the generous and very knowledgeable posters here would be happy to answer your question more accurately… a truly learned person is always happy to share their knowledge with those who genuienly want to learn.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

England draws cold air from France. We are too far away from Europe. If you could move these islands 250 miles east leaving France to our South, we'd have some snows.

Advertisement