Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haggling Price and Trade In Polo For Golf

• 05-01-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭

Have a 2002 Polo and thinking of trading up for a VW Golf. Done a search on VW site and looking at 2007 and saw This

Is this a good price for 2007 Golf and whats the best way of haggling getting more for my money as when it comes to cars I know bugger all but not falling for some sales crap that I may get ?

Trading in a Polo with low milage and checked cbg for prices so I know how much its worth do they usually go lower than this when trading in?

Any tips or advice before I go see the car and talk to dealer ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you could get 1.4 Golfs new for 15k in 2009.

That's only an 80bhp model and seems very pricey for a 2008

I know it's a Sportline, but that doesn't make it worth 18k

You'd get a SEAT Leon brand new for less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Knock one third off the price of similar dealer sale Polo on Carzone, knock 10% off sticker price of Golf, the difference is how much you should be aiming to get the car for.

Also consider the new Polo which is a cracking car and bigger than the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Erm, a brand new Golf 1.4 is 18850, why would you even consider paying 900 euro less for a 2 year old car, not to mention that it's the older model!

Not to mention that you can get a decent trade in and scrappage deal for your Polo, a brand new Golf 1.4 shouldn't cost you more than 16k!

And you can get a brand new Polo for just under 10k with the scrappage deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

can he get scrappage on an 02 car?

• Advertisement

no but it'd have to be worth the €1500 that the Gov would give you on scrappage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks thought it was lot for a 2007

Have my mind set on a Golf I know the new Polo comfortline looks good but not really sure on buying a 2010 car maybe 2009. Looking at the prices Here yep it is overpriced

So new polo v golf which is better and how much ball park should I be paying for about 2007-2009 model?

Ta

it's 2008 not 2007. it's a lot for a 2008 as well, or even 2009.

Golf vs Polo?

If you got a decent turbocharged Polo it'd be a far better car than a 1.4 80hp Golf

Recently racked up 2000km on the new Seat Ibiza which the Polo shares its platform with.
    seat-ibiza-2008.jpg
    I was gobsmacked at how grown up the chassis was, how refined it was and how nice the interior was (it was a 1.9 TDI). Boot space was very good for that class, it had a great stereo and it didn't feel small at all.
    The Polo is said to be even better than the Ibiza so I can only imagine how good it is.
    new-vw-polo.jpg
    Maybe check the Ibiza out too.

I think Golfs are massively overrated, especially the asthmatic 1.4 models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's crazy money for a 08 MkV especially if it is on the Co2 based tax system. Here is a 09 MkVI for less, granted it is the base model:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200938195236648

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The 2004-2008Mk5 Golf was replaced in 2009, no point in buying a 2008 model unless you are a fan of burning money, either get a 2009 Mk6 or get an older Mk5.

• Advertisement

Not looking for anything boyracerish just something decent

The new polos are they available uin 2009 model? Not sure about a turbocharged? Decent prices so in terms of reliability and cost are they better than golfs?

Pick of the bunch for me would be the Polo with the new 1.6 TDI engine. You can get a 75hp Trendline for a €18k or a 90hp Highline for a bit over €20k. Both would be superior to a used Golf.

Tax is €104 on the diesel regardless of hp.

Cheers, the polo looking a decent option now.May go to some of the dealers at the weekend to have a goo. Do any of the polos come with sat nav installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Cheers, the polo looking a decent option now.May go to some of the dealers at the weekend to have a goo. Do any of the polos come with sat nav installed?

IMHO you would be better off with a decent windshield mounted satnav that you can update and change yourself. You can get devices from Garmin and Tomtom for around 100 euro now.

All of the built-in satnavs that I've seen were rubbish and cost a fortune to upgrade. Granted I haven't seen what they look like in the latest offering from "Das Auto" but I bet it's a million miles behind the latest Tomtom and that it costs more!

Advertisement