Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clueless about migrating to austrailia?

Options
  • 05-01-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

thinking about moving to austrailia to work with my girlfriend. we both have trades, i am an electrician and she is a hair dresser. im 23 and shes 19.

first of all were is the best to find out about which visa suites us best? we plan on staying for a few years all going well.

thinking of maybe starting in sydney then moving on after a year or so.. any1 know what the work suitation is like there for us or should we maybe consider somewhere else?

which would be better for us trying to get a apartment together or a hostel?

also the cost of living, is it expensive or cheap?
    how much money would we need to bring between us?

another thing when some1 goes out with there qualifacation and they get the job there looking for, do most just get minimum wage or get the proper rate for there work or is it just pot luck depending on the employer?

thanks in advance for answering any of the questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Unless either of you are Australian? I think you'll be waiting a long time, I have heard a time frame of 18 months for Skilled Worker Visas, but they may have shelved them for the moment.
    Be sure to check out immi.gov.au , there's a visa calculator somewhere on there to help you determine which one is for you.
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/

Also check out the Bristish Expats forum (don't be put off by the name, many Irish on there too). I found it to be the most informative forum for Immigration matters).
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54

You could go on a WHV but that is very restricted, only for 1 year and you may not find work, just read the other threads on this forum about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

The best way would be to come on a working holiday visa. At the moment you would be waiting until 2012 at least to get residency if you applied now. There is work here and there are alot of big projects starting this year. I'm an electrician too but it can be hard to get a job without getting an electrical licence. It can take up to 6 months to get this and will cost you about $2000 dollars. I'm not trying to put off..just letting you know how it is before you get over here and then find out like alot of sparks like myself already have. There seems to be loads of jobs for hairdressers so your girlfriend shouldn't have a problem getting work.

Advertisement