Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB broadband around house

• 05-01-2010 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get mobile broadband wireless around the house via a wireless router I have and a PC. I know I can get a wireless router that accepts the usb dongles and makes them wireless, but have you seen the price, so I want to make use of what I have.

Can someone tell me or point me in right direction of what setup i need to follow on xp, so that I can connect my usb dongle to PC, then ethernet cable to a wireless router to give that router internet access. Is it use my PC as a bridge, I'm not sure, I know it can be done, but don't know exactly what to search for.

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Not a bad price: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-3G-6200N-nLite-Broadband-Router/dp/B002GNHOCQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262737423&sr=8-1

Creating a AdHoc network over wifi is easy in linux and can be done in win 7 and vista, but that's not really any use to you, sorry. Not sure how to do it in xp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

You could internet share it via ethernet to the router probably.
    Not sure on the details of doing that.

What I used to do was:
    1. ad-hoc wireless network.
    2. ad-hoc wireless network to a router with dd-wrt on it repeating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Noviceman wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to get mobile broadband wireless around the house via a wireless router I have and a PC. I know I can get a wireless router that accepts the usb dongles and makes them wireless, but have you seen the price, so I want to make use of what I have.

Can someone tell me or point me in right direction of what setup i need to follow on xp, so that I can connect my usb dongle to PC, then ethernet cable to a wireless router to give that router internet access. Is it use my PC as a bridge, I'm not sure, I know it can be done, but don't know exactly what to search for.

Ta

have you looked at new vodafone device? basically a 3G wireless router, it takes your sim card ..

just checked this am. this worked for me fine:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx#1

btw:

In "Network connections" right click on your 3g mobile connection > properties > advanced > make sure that "Allow other network users to connect through this comp Int conn" is clicked and "Home Network Connection" says Wireless Network coneection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Noviceman

interesting, will give that a go.....

thanks for other suggestions, have o2 dongle already, vf doesn't work here, don't want ad hoc wireless network, have a spare pc and wireless router want to use them, decent enough price for that 3g router in first post, still 50 euro i don't have to spend if i can get this figured out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

I'd say save yourself the hassle of messing about and save up for the Dovado router from Commsoft. Actively supported, great customer service and would recommend in a heartbeat. More expensive perhaps but worth it IMHO. Had it set up with my O2 dongle in minutes, ipod and wii happily online... and feet up :)

http://3g-router.ie/

HTH.

ok so slowlydownwards, i finally got round to doing this and it almost worked for me....

i connected one laptop to internet via dongle and setup ad-hoc network, i connected second laptop to the ad-hoc wireless network, but i get not internet access, it only gave me local access. I did as you suggested and ticked the box to allow other network users and also changed to wireless network connection. when i clicked ok after doing this it said that I would need to enter a username and password so that other users would not to enter them, but i have username and password, i just entered the pin...

any thoughts

2 stabs in the dark:

* Is the firewall blocking the access to internet?

* A simple reboot after you set something up can solve a lot of problems.

Hope you get it going. It just worked straight away for me the other day (first time that I tried it in windows xp). A friend tried it then and it also worked.

got it... it turned off the firewall, should it be off or on...

to be honest, i didn't do much troubleshooting last nite, i had a laptop with a dodgy monitor in parents-in-law's attic, hence the reason i'm using it... as soon as i connected to 02, monitor went, so i had to bring up a monitor today and mess around with it, one of the things i did was turn off firewall...

they're happy anyway...

Advertisement