Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for learning off English essays?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Learning off essays is a really stupid idea. Our teacher reckons that since this has been happening for a while the department are getting sick of it so the questions are gonna become more specific, as they clearly are. Obviously learn the quotes needed but I'd say learn the structure, but be able to change its shape quite easily. Honestly, theres no way around it really. I read my essays as much as I can and I make a structure for them(ie, take out a sheet and write down the main point that I'm making and relate it). Most importantly(as I just said) read the damn question and relate your answer to it. Any ole fool could learn a essay from a book and recreate it in a exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

Crow92 wrote: »
    Hows that absolute bull??

Who learns off essays? It's completely stupid, cop on and understand your texts/poetry to mould any answer obviously plans are good but a whole essay???

Thats complete bull

You are correct.well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

briankirby wrote: »
    You are correct.well done

Did I miss some underlying sarcasm :rolleyes:
    I saw no /sarcasm tags

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

briankirby wrote: »
    Absolute bull****

What a helpful and well-supported post:rolleyes:

OP, most people can't learn off 5 pages of an essay and even if they could, it's not recommended with the way the exam and its marking are going. It's very frustrating to mark excellently-written essays that just don't answer the question asked.

As others have said, summarising your paragraphs down to a series of bullet points and learning off these is a much better way to go. Your comparative can be turned into a one-page table to make this easier.

Advertisement