Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for a pocket camcorder?

Options
  • 05-01-2010 11:11pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Friend is emigrating and I've just figured out what to get her as a leaving gift - a DVD of her leaving party. I did it for her 21st a few years ago and she liked it.

Problem is I have a DV tape camcorder, I'm not sure where the charger is, and I don't have a laptop with a firewire port anymore.

So I'm thinking of nipping into town and getting one with a hard drive tomorrow. I have no idea about these, I would love some sort of HD. And then I see Argos has a small HD for 179 Euro, is this possible? It's here: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5633771/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|14573486/c_2/2|cat_14573486|Camcorders+and+accessories|14573525/c_3/3|cat_14573525|Camcorders|14573530.htm

Sorry about the long address.

Basically, I'm asking does anyone have any of these small camcorders that they would recommend? I would be grateful for any recommendations. Thanks.

ALso, which type of camera would be better? HDD or Flash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I use a Flip Ultra HD, its the same thing really, the quality is pretty decent and should be fine for a DVD. If you want to get an idea of the quality of the Flip just take a look at my newest video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/cian1500ww

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

FLip HD I would say is ideal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Double post

Great, thans for that. Any idea where I may pick one up around Dublin? Currys, Harvey Norman and a few others don't have online cataloges for Ireland.

Lastly, any idea how it works in low light? I realise it won't be perfect but being HD I thought it might be ok? At least better than my old Mini DV. My old one had a flash and a night mode which, although made the people look like aliens, at least made the people visable. Would this be ok for a pub??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I think it's pretty good, I don't have one, just saw it being demonstrated by someone running a course I was on. Cian should be able to tell you more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,285 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Have a sanyo xacti and it's really great

Low light is ok but you'll notice a little more noise. It'll see nothing in the dark obviously but who'd have a party in the dark !! The screen on the back gives a live preview so you'll be able to see if it's too dark or not :) How long before the party ?? You could order the flip online from pixmania.com

I found the Flip on Henry st so I may be able to get it. One thing though, can it take any extra memory? 60 minutes seems pretty short. I was hoping to get some SD cards or something for whatever I get.

dory wrote: »
    I found the Flip on Henry st so I may be able to get it. One thing though, can it take any extra memory? 60 minutes seems pretty short. I was hoping to get some SD cards or something for whatever I get.
    Nope, it can't, you sure that's the right one ?? My Flip Ultra HD has 120 minutes, I think you may be looking at the Flip Mino.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Ive found the Kodak Zx1 to be good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement