Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's wrong with us???

• 05-01-2010 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

Why can't we, and i mean us gentlemen, have a civilised discussion without the thread getting locked within 3 or 4 posts?

Discuss..:p

T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

tommmy1979 wrote: »
    Why can't we, and i mean us gentlemen, have a civilised discussion without the thread getting locked within 3 or 4 posts?

T

Any particular thread in mind ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

trout wrote: »
    Any particular thread in mind ?

Not really.. i'm generalising.

For example...The ladies lounge have a male form appreciation thread, it would be nice to have a female form appreciation thread but i know it would last only a few posts before it would become totally sick and depraved and have to be locked.

Any other examples ... maybe of current threads ?

Not really.. i'm generalising.

For example...The ladies lounge have a male form appreciation thread, it would be nice to have a female form appreciation thread but i know it would last only a few posts before it would become totally sick and depraved and have to be locked.

You shower have an entire forum for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Moonbaby wrote: »

They do?!

:confused:

• Advertisement

Any other examples ... maybe of current threads ?

Just had a quick scan down through them.. the ones that get locked are usual health issues to be fair.

We can't behave oursleves or we're not trusted to it seems..

The stripper thread got locked for no apparent reason.. may have been a preemptive strike.

umm where's that... my errr.. friend wants to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Shhhhhhhhhhh…

The stripper thread got locked for no apparent reason.. may have been a preemptive strike.

The stripper thread was locked, and a reason was given. I think it was the right reason.

If you disagree, and can argue cogently that helping someone in Sligo find a stripper is within the remit of this forum ... I'm all ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

T

Cos I'm an A-Grade bastid that's why!!!!

The stripper thread was locked, and a reason was given. I think it was the right reason.

If you disagree, and can argue cogently that helping someone in Sligo find a stripper is within the remit of this forum ... I'm all ears.

I can tell you're being defensive...

I guess finding a stripper in sligo is not strictly within the remit of this forum, but a lot of threads in a lot of forums are not strictly within the remits of those forums an they stay open... often for several hundred posts.

Why does this forum have to be ruled with an iron fist?, i'm not saying that it doesn't need to be ruled with an iron fist nor am i criticising any moderator.

• Advertisement

I can tell you're being defensive...

Not really. I was responding to the statement you made ... that the thread was locked for no apparent reason. This is not true. Saying that is factual, not defensive.
    I guess finding a stripper in sligo is not strictly within the remit of this forum, but a lot of threads in a lot of forums are not strictly within the remits of those forums an they stay open... often for several hundred posts.

There are a lot of threads on this forum that stay open for several hundred posts. I don't comment on posts/threads in other forums ... no bearing on this forum.
    In fairness, strippers in Sligo is not even loosely within our remit.
    Why does this forum have to be ruled with an iron fist?, i'm not saying that it doesn't need to be ruled with an iron fist nor am i criticising any moderator.

Do you think this forum is ruled with an iron fist ?

Leaving aside the Sligo strippers thread, and speculative "female form appreciation" thread ... have you any other examples?

I'm not being smart or defensive here ... I'm treating this as a genuine question, with genuine responses.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This forum is called the gentlemen's club.

As a women I enjoy how it is moderated and yes I have reported posts here.

It's nice to come in and not see AH type posts here, and to get a somewhat balanced male perspective on things in here.

It's nice to see issues discussed from a male perspective and to learn from that.

So in that regard I don't agree with what you are saying, I think this forum imo is a nice forum with a fairly broad agenda, and tbh I can't see many fora on this board that will cater to "Where can I find a stripper" type posts.

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I presume strippers are legal.
    Therefore what's the difference between 'help find me a stripper' and help find me a iPhone?
    Maybe it should be in 'bargin requests'... But if it's legal what's wring with it?

dinneenp wrote: »
    I presume strippers are legal.
    Therefore what's the difference between 'help find me a stripper' and help find me a iPhone?
    Maybe it should be in 'bargin requests'... But if it's legal what's wring with it?

Legality has nothing to do with it. If someone started a "find me an iPhone" thread, I'd move it to Apple Media Devices ... I've no idea where to home a thread on finding a stripper ... Bargain Requests never occured to me :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Well I'd have thought flinging it over to the Sligo forum or such like would be where it belongs, it's really a Regional question as opposed to a Gentleman's question. It's a Where? Not a Who?

I don't see where the OP is coming from at all with regards to the forum being tightly run. Relevance in a forum such as this is important otherwise I'd imagine it could go askew rather easily. But there's a big difference to keeping things on track as opposed to being priggish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye, must say I don't see an issue with how this place is modded.
    I understand somethings are boarderline and may get left in here pending benefit to the OP or the posters, whereas others would be closed as they may not fit into the forum or such.

Anything that's really been closed has been mostly health/seeking medical advice type threads which get closed everywhere for obvious reasons.
    Stripper in Sligo -I'd have put it in sligo forum locked pending their mods decision.

OP you compare this to tLL ... I actually don't see it as quite the mens version of tLL, there's a different vibe here (apart from it being a 'male' forum) plus do you think a thread saying 'looking for a male stripper' would have been left there? doubtful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

It was locked in tLL as well, to be fair....

I had thought about moving the stripper thread to the Sligo forum ... but then I thought the Sligo mods probably wouldn't thank me for it, given the potential for trainwreck posts.

The OP can always post in the Sligo forum herself.

Silverfish wrote: »
    It was locked in tLL as well, to be fair....

Ahhhh

humberklog wrote: »
    Relevance in a forum such as this is important otherwise I'd imagine it could go askew rather easily.

Yea, i think threads on this forum could go askew easily.. you've put your finger on it for me.

• Advertisement

I had thought about moving the stripper thread to the Sligo forum ... but then I thought the Sligo mods probably wouldn't thank me for it, given the potential for trainwreck posts.

The OP can always post in the Sligo forum herself.

Bit of a hot potato alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

If I may..

..as a gentleman, I may be interested in knowing where to acquire the services of a professional lady who removes her garments for reward without recourse to any less moral or indeed more titilating forms of entertainment, and therefore may enquire with fellow gentlemen as to where such a service would be available in a particular locality whilst going about my chores and worldly pursuits.

Why, going to the regional forum may result in a less savory or indeed a more risque type of a provider of services being suggested, much to the chargrin of a gentleman such as myself.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I suppose its taking a time to get a thread voice

i dont know if its boards ettiquette but when the forum started maybe some people felt that it should be a place where guys are not afraid to be guys too.

i remember reading about tll being a safe place for women to post and sometimes i wonder - nobody wants misogyny central but in some way is it too cautious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

My (modish) 2cents.
    I close down a lot of borderline threads and delete a lot of online quips because I'm trying to maintain a difference here between ourselves and our close cousins that are BGRH and AH. I'm not criticizing those forums in any way but one of the reasons for establishing tGC was to lift ourselves up a level and to provide a place where conversations could flow without becoming bogged down in memes and throwaway threads.

Hiring a stripper is too unsavoury a thread for here and leaving it would only open the door for more such stag party threads that will inevitably train wreck. As for female application threads well lets be honest it's more of a BGRH thread then for us here.

It is a fine line to walk in trying to establish the tGC’s boundaries and I know I will make mistakes but I fully intend to err on the cautious side and that means I shall mod with heavy hand.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You a member? Niiiiccceee :cool: I respect the way you roll.
    I've no idea where to home a thread on finding a stripper ...
    AH, TCN and BGRH come to mind :D

Pete M. wrote: »
    If I may..

..as a gentleman, I may be interested in knowing where to acquire the services of a professional lady who removes her garments for reward without recourse to any less moral or indeed more titilating forms of entertainment, and therefore may enquire with fellow gentlemen as to where such a service would be available in a particular locality whilst going about my chores and worldly pursuits.

Why, going to the regional forum may result in a less savory or indeed a more risque type of a provider of services being suggested, much to the chargrin of a gentleman such as myself.

:rolleyes:

I know its off topic - you are looking for a life model for drawing - I googled it for ya

http://www.olx.ie/q/model/c-257

The Institute of Technology in Sligo also teach a fine art course so I suppose you could make enquiries there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

its great to get the feedback. keep it coming, if you have a suggestion or a quibble, and you can argue your point properly then I know for fact that it'll be taken on board.

To take up the iron fist moderation point, (i know how you meant it, its all good :)) I would have thought that we're pretty light touch here tbh. Yes, we delete a lot of the medical advce type threads. Rightly so too. There is nowhere on this website that you can ask those questions. People need to start to understand that. Asking about a specific personal medical issue is not going to be allowed. Discussion of medical conditions e.g the circumcision thread, is different. Sometimes, it's a grey area but tbh most of the time its not.

As for the other stuff, we make a consious decision not to get involved in trying to steer things. As a group, we like to let things run, find their feet and develop. We're not here to censor people or make discussions go in a certain way, just to tidy up.
    Think of it like a house party......we're not your mate, who sits beside the stereo/ipod picking the tunes all night, we're your other mate who gets some kitchen roll when the wine gets spilled, or brings a few emptys out of the sitting room when he's going into the kitchen :)

@ CDfm - your point regarding "letting guys be guys" is somewhat valid I think. That is the point to an extent, but it all depends on where your coming from. The sterotypical views of men often portrayed by the media, are nothing more than media guff imho. I think this forum has shown us that there is huge variety within the manfolk of this country. Some live up to the sterotypical views, some are complete opposites, many take a bit of both ends of the scale and make it their own. To develop your point, I'd like this forum to cater for them all to a degree. We can have the silly(ier) drinking type threads, we can have the fashion/appearance type threads, we can have the circumcision type threads and so on.

I totally agree with you on not allowing the anti-women type stuff. God knows I have complaints about the ladies (Mrs Monkey will back that up) but all in all they rock. I too would hate to see posters with agendas migrating here, using it as a platform to attack or make snide comments against the ladies. That isn't what being a gentleman is about.

One last thing, I would love to be able to have a female appreciation type thread here, but I know that within a week it'd be a trainwreck and ban central. Its been tried before on another related forum and it turned into that. I think that the bad feeling it could create, in what is a nice, growing community, could be terrible and frankly not worth the time. :(

Anyways, from my high, elevated and exhaulted position as Mod, a sincere thanks to those of you who post here. It's been an interesting 6 months or so since tGC came about and thats down to the quality and quantity of posters here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

CDfm wrote: »
    nobody wants misogyny central but in some way is it too cautious

Maybe. This strikes a chord with me though I can't be more specific than that.
    @ CDfm - your point regarding "letting guys be guys" is somewhat valid I think. That is the point to an extent, but it all depends on where your coming from. The sterotypical views of men often portrayed by the media, are nothing more than media guff imho. I think this forum has shown us that there is huge variety within the manfolk of this country. Some live up to the sterotypical views, some are complete opposites, many take a bit of both ends of the scale and make it their own. To develop your point, I'd like this forum to cater for them all to a degree. We can have the silly(ier) drinking type threads, we can have the fashion/appearance type threads, we can have the circumcision type threads and so on.

Sounds good to me. One thing I'd say is that men behave differently in groups than they do on their own. I think that's a fair generalisation. I roll around the place laughing with the lads in my Thai boxing club, but some of the stuff we say there would absolutely not be said in front of a lady. I think tLL has managed to walk that line well with the male form appreciation thread and a few others (quirky things you like, yada yada).

When I contributed in there I used to just avoid threads that I felt were none of my frickin' business (after 1 or 2 sillynesses). I'd love to achieve the same kind of threads in here. I think this is a great forum. Some super discussions and I think the mods have done well to achieve a place where you can have a chat about lads stuff without it degenerating into talking about tits and fanny or football (sorry lads ;)). Fair play.
    One last thing, I would love to be able to have a female appreciation type thread here, but I know that within a week it'd be a trainwreck and ban central. Its been tried before on another related forum and it turned into that. I think that the bad feeling it could create, in what is a nice, growing community, could be terrible and frankly not worth the time. :(

I think it's worth giving a shot myself. If it goes to sh*t, well, so be it.

Can we get images turned on anyway? I've asked a few times and even started a thread about it before but nothing has happend.

I'd like to think I have a cautious yet 'hands-off' approach to modding here. It's your forum ... I'm the janitor.

There are boundaries that I am respectful of ... and beyond that I try not to manipulate or influence the flow of threads / posts.

Caveat: one thing that I have always felt strongly about is defining this forum in relation to others on this site; I don't care what goes on in other forums ... I don't refer to them, and I don't take a lead from them ... their business is their business.

tGC should be able to define itself and stand on it's own two feet. I think for the most part ... that is the case here.

If people have strong feelings about what goes on in another forum ... give your feedback in the appropriate place.

As for threads on female form appreciation ... there's a whole INTERNET for that. From experience, that type of thread is a trainwreck waiting to happen, and when it does happen ... it's not pretty. That's my tuppence.

Misogyny and personal abuse won't be tolerated; shills / spammers will be dealt with ... beyond that ... it's fair game :)

• Advertisement

My post disappeared.

How come when misogyny gets mentioned I get picked on ???

In tll they objectify men with impunity and when I mildly comment about their soft porn masquerading as free speech I am cruelly censored.

There is a hidden agenda -what next girl mods:pac:

Trout Was that bitter enough ?

Really, I wouldnt want to see a female appreciation thread here and dont think we should copy tll.

Theres nothing wrong with gentle banter on women vs men but I often feel that what gets called misogyny is more a disagreement on terms.

A female friend put it very well recently that feminism is so broad that criticising one strand will get you supporters in others. So we should not be afraid of debating.

I mean the term Male Chauvinist Pig used to be bandied about until some wag coined the phrase feminazi. (I innocently used to think this was an ok phrase to use as a greeting)

I like the forum and do feel that like the banned words in the dail we need to evolve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In tll they objectify men with impunity and when I mildly comment about their soft porn masquerading as free speech I am cruelly censored.
    It's called positive discrimination. It has been around for quite some time.

the_syco wrote: »
    It's called positive discrimination. It has been around for quite some time.

As King Lear said "Howl, howl, howl " and that was in a Shakespeare play about women in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Can we not turn this thread into a bitching session about tLL? Cos it's not the place and it's also not the point.

If you want to ogle pics of hot guys, there is one thread in one forum on the whole of boards. If you want to ogle hot women, there's an entire forum dedicated to it, not to mention threads in other fora.

If you want to complain about womens' rights to ogle men with impunity, do so in Feedback. I'll be right behind you to complain about the existance of an entire forum dedicated to the objectifcation of women. Let's compare pics and banter from the tLL thread with the kind of crap that got other similar but female-oriented threads shut down - you'll soon see why there's a difference.

I'd love to see a female appreciation thread in here, as long as that's what it remained as - appreciation. Not T&A and disrespect, which is what such threads tend to deteriorate into.

The mods have deleted my soft core contribuitions from Who makes you drool.
    It is about the pretty not the package.
    So your impression is incorrect.

shellyboo wrote: »

I'd love to see a female appreciation thread in here, as long as that's what it remained as - appreciation. Not T&A and disrespect, which is what such threads tend to deteriorate into.

With you there - and it would detract from the forum.

tll has had years to develop its character and community and maybe in time you can do a female appreciation thread but not just yet.

• Advertisement

The mods have deleted my soft core contribuitions from Who makes you drool.
    It is about the pretty not the package.
    So your impression is incorrect.

Moonbaby - I was being very tongue in cheek and I have no problem with it at all and I agree with all the posters who think it would be totally out of place here in tGC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

With you there - and it would detract from the forum.

tll has had years to develop its character and community and maybe in time you can do a female appreciation thread but not just yet.

It was tried in BGRH and in the end was more trouble then it was worth as posters could not keep it classy and kept pushing the boundaries so that more posts which had soft core shots were deleted then posts where were allowed to stay. The problem which such threads is rarely the regulars of the forum but
    those who surf in and post up pics of women in dental floss bikinis.

Can we not turn this thread into a bitching session about tLL? Cos it's not the place and it's also not the point.

With respect, tLL is the "sister forum" of this one so comparisson will naturally be made to it. tGC is a fledgeling forum and so its users will reasonably compare treatment of men here with treatment of ladies there.
    If you want to complain about womens' rights to ogle men

Ogle away by all means!!!! :) I don't think anyone suggested otherwise.

I agree with all the posters who think it would be totally out of place here in tGC.

I take Thaed's point for sure. If it's a logistical nightmare then feck it. I don't see how it would be totally out of place here but an equivalent is not even slightly out of place in tLL though? The raison d'etre of the two forums are the same, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Caveat: one thing that I have always felt strongly about is defining this forum in relation to others on this site; I don't care what goes on in other forums ... I don't refer to them, and I don't take a lead from them ... their business is their business.

tGC should be able to define itself and stand on it's own two feet. I think for the most part ... that is the case here.

If people have strong feelings about what goes on in another forum ... give your feedback in the appropriate place.

i'm just going to quote what Trout said, because its exactly how I feel about the issue. I can add no more to it, other than to say that any Ladies Lounge swipes are not going to be viewed in a good light.

Cheers

MM

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    I take Thaed's point for sure. If it's a logistical nightmare then feck it. I don't see how it would be totally out of place here but an equivalent is not even slightly out of place in tLL though? The raison d'etre of the two forums are the same, no?

I mean its really in the context - in tll its probably intended as a bit of drooling over Doctor McDreamy etc whereas with tGC the equivalent might be Olivia Benson from Law and Order or a hot childrens TV presenter etc.

Whereas a picture of a young HOT Nastassia Kinski draped in a snake is exquisite its the state of undress that lowers the bar and is subjective.

Its like comparing Degas to 19th century pseudo scientific porn. What do you keep out.

So the tLL drool content is probably closer to a teenage girls magazine with innuendo the guy stuff would become overtly sexual. Thats the nature of it people would want more. You just have to accept it cos we are men -thats what we do.

Yes yes, tGC should define itself, I agree. There's no escaping the fact that tLL and tGC were both set up with similar goals in mind though, no? I mean, it's not unreasonable for me to expect similar (preferential) treatment here as one of the ladies would get there, right?

One obvious difference that I like is that the ladies can come in here and start a thread asking some advice from the gentlemen. The nature of tLL is that you couldn't allow that there (or the whole forum would quickly be filled with threads of that type) so there are obvious differences and that's obviously totally fine - nice even.

With respect, tLL is the "sister forum" of this one so comparisson will naturally be made to it. tGC is a fledgeling forum and so its users will reasonably compare treatment of men here with treatment of ladies there.
    So the tLL drool content is probably closer to a teenage girls magazine with innuendo the guy stuff would become overtly sexual. Thats the nature of it people would want more. You just have to accept it cos we are men -thats what we do.
    Yes yes, tGC should define itself, I agree. There's no escaping the fact that tLL and tGC were both set up with similar goals in mind though, no? I mean, it's not unreasonable for me to expect similar (preferential) treatment here as one of the ladies would get there, right?

One obvious difference that I like is that the ladies can come in here and start a thread asking some advice from the gentlemen. The nature of tLL is that you couldn't allow that there (or the whole forum would quickly be filled with threads of that type) so there are obvious differences and that's obviously totally fine - nice even.

tLL is not a sister forum of here, or BGRH for that matter. tLL has a culture, focus and raison d'etre all of it's own. It predates this forum by years.
    What works there is a function of the regular posters, the mods and the community that has grown up. Nothing to do with how this forum evolves.
    What works in other forums works in those forums for a reason ... there is no reason to think that all forums are, or should be similiar.

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll say this again - if people have feedback or comments on tLL ... please make your feedback known in the appropriate place, not here.

tLL is not a sister forum of here, or BGRH for that matter. tLL has a culture, focus and raison d'etre all of it's own. It predates this forum by years.

So can you quantify how those raison d'etres differ please? I think it's clear from my posts that I thought they were set up with very similar goals in mind.
    there is no reason to think that all forums are, or should be similiar.

No, but a ladies lounge and gentlemens club are hardly light years apart either. You're not seriously trying to tell me that they're entirely different, are you?
    At the risk of repeating myself, I'll say this again - if people have feedback or comments on tLL ... please make your feedback known in the appropriate place, not here.

I haven't given any feedback on tLL in this thread (I think it's a fine place and absolutely required), nor has anyone else that I can see. CDFM said he was being tongue in cheek. the_syco said positive discrimination existed there, it does (and rightly so). Neither of those things are feedback on tLL.

Having been told that they're not related forums and that they have nothing to do with each other I'm trying to figure out how the two forums differ. My understanding was that the two forums raisons d'etre were very similar (at least at conception). If that is not the case I'd ask you to quantify how they differ. I've asked a few questions and they just haven't been answered. It's genuine confusion here.

So can you quantify how those raison d'etres differ please? I think it's clear from my posts that I thought they were set up with very similar goals in mind.

No, but a ladies lounge and gentlemens club are hardly light years apart either. You're not seriously trying to tell me that they're entirely different, are you?

I haven't given any feedback on tLL in this thread (I think it's a fine place and absolutely required), nor has anyone else that I can see. CDFM said he was being tongue in cheek. the_syco said positive discrimination existed there, it does (and rightly so). Neither of those things are feedback on tLL.

Having been told that they're not related forums and that they have nothing to do with each other I'm trying to figure out how the two forums differ. My understanding was that the two forums raisons d'etre were very similar (at least at conception). If that is not the case I'd ask you to quantify how they differ. I've asked a few questions and they just haven't been answered. It's genuine confusion here.

tLL was started as a lighthearted place for women to post. It has now evolved into somewhere where topics of more substance are discussed.

The Gentlemen's club was started as Men's Health, not very lighthearted at all.

They have now both met somewhere in the middle. So there were absolutely no similarities at the conception of these forums, in fact they were at the very opposite ends of the scale.

EDIT: and yes, I would say they are entirely different, there's BGRH and AH which are majority male, and TGC which is majority male, in fact most of boards is a majority of males.
    TLL was set up as a safe haven for the female minority without rape jokes, sleaze, pics or gtfo, or gender bashing of either gender.

The Charter thread in tLL and the Charter thread for tGC explains this much better than I can.

Not entirely different, there are similarities and parallels for sure ... but I am saying that what happens in tLL or any other forum is not a driver for what happens here. Started for different reasons, at different times, and with different premises and communities ... that's ALL I'm saying.

I was clear to say "feedback and comments". Several comments and references to tLL and other forums have been made in this thread. I'm responding to all those posts; by quoting your posts I may have given the impression that I'm singling you out. That's not the case.

If you read over the thread from the start, and indeed other threads in this forum, you'll see it's a fairly consistent bugbear of mine ... dating back to the thread in which this forum was shaped / created here

I would invite everyone to read the two charters I linked, and the related creation threads in Forums ... and form their own opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

When this room was opened the first thing I did was pm, Mystical Monkey. ABout weather i could start a thread and to be fair it was decied that due to prevous experences brrrgh......

but is it really that critical

is it not possible to start a thread that mods have to approve before some body posts in it ? kinda like if a none registers poster make s apost it has to be approved....

and if not why not ? (sorry about the last bit im watching red dwarf and cat said that and i felt it was aplicable :D)

Silverfish wrote: »

EDIT: and yes, I would say they are entirely different, there's BGRH and AH which are majority male, and TGC which is majority male, in fact most of boards is a majority of males.
    TLL was set up as a safe haven for the female minority without rape jokes, sleaze, pics or gtfo, or gender bashing of either gender.

Is boards mostly male ? It surprises me that you get rape jokes sleaze or pics on boards as I cant imagine it like that.

Anyway, tll is a great forum though I disagree on the gender bashing and one of the reasons tGC was set up was that guys felt that they couldnt air their views on gender related issues. I think tGC debates gender issues a lot more openly and shows deference to both genders who post,

Is boards mostly male ?

It was horribly unbalanced when the last census was taken.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=249022

I'd say things have changed a good bit since then, but still predominantly male alright.

Is boards mostly male ? It surprises me that you get rape jokes sleaze or pics on boards as I cant imagine it like that.

Anyway, tll is a great forum though I disagree on the gender bashing and one of the reasons tGC was set up was that guys felt that they couldnt air their views on gender related issues. I think tGC debates gender issues a lot more openly and shows deference to both genders who post,

You're drawing comparisons.

There is no comparisons between TLL and TGC, in that TLL was set up as a safe environment for females to discuss things from a female point of view.

• Advertisement
Advertisement