Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Garmin Nuvi - 765 / 1340/ 1390 / 1490?

Options
  • 06-01-2010 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy my first Sat Nav and after recs here before am figuring on a Garmin Nuvi. I would like it to have lane assist so I've narrowed it down to the 765, 1340, 1390 and 1490.
    We will be going to Spain and some of the Canary islands in two weeks time so would get the european mapping and use it there but we would mainly use it in Ireland for trips to Dublin etc.

The 1340 is the cheapest at £143 on Amazon (that I can find anyways)
    The other 3 are around the same price of £170 each (only checked Amazon)

I'm not the most technically minded so would like a unit that will be easy enough to get to grips with and will get me to where I need to go ...

I read some reviews on the 1340 and have seen some complaints about it only having 4 digits for the postcode so finding an exact place is difficult when postcodes are involved??? ... (Am thinking of using thei in Northern Ireland at some stage). I've also read that people have had some problems with them not picking up the maps (sorry for the v poor tech talk). I haven't gone into detail on the others ..yet.

Sooo ... can anyone steer me towards the 'best sat nav for me' please?

Ideally I want to spend as little as I can but get the lane assist and a good reliable unit:o:rolleyes: BUT ... if it's worth it for a few extra € then I think now is the time rather than regretting it later on.

Also, can anyone give me an idea of how much the map upgrades cost (thinking of the future) and if I use the free maps, are they decent enough?

And one last one - can anyone guide me towards any other sites with the best prices?

Sorry for so many questions - am almost panic buying at this stage so really need to make a decision to have it here before mid next week:o

Thanks for all and any advice:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hstevenson

I recently purchased a 1490T and the unit goes into reboot mode a couple of time a day. There is one specific spot on the highway where it starts rebooting and doesn't stop for several miles.
    Garmin has replace the unit twice and it still fails in exactly the same way. They have basically given up since they can't duplicate the problem in Kansas.

Don't but the 1490, maybe their other units are OK.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

That must be driving you crazy!!! Would they replace it with a different model Garmin??

When I didn't get any replies I chanced it and ordered the 1340 ... only a week until we go away so really needed to get something now. Should be with me on Tuesday so Fingers crossed it will work OK!

Glad I didn't go for the 1490!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hstevenson

They have sent me 2 new units and are in the process of sending me another one but they refused to swap it for a different model.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

hstevenson wrote: »
    They have sent me 2 new units and are in the process of sending me another one but they refused to swap it for a different model.:(

If this one doesn't work I'd be looking for a refund from where you bought it ... and if they didn't comply I'd be straight onto the Ombudsman ... has worked for me in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Only wrote: »
    When I didn't get any replies I chanced it and ordered the 1340 ... only a week until we go away so really needed to get something now. Should be with me on Tuesday so Fingers crossed it will work OK!

Glad I didn't go for the 1490!!!

Would be interested in what you think of it..

I am looking for a new sat nav myself..

• Advertisement
Advertisement