Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband promblem.

• 06-01-2010 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey guy!!.

Basically my problem only start sense i came back for the holidays.
    My problem is at around 8.00pm onward every night my internet goes funny.
    My ping is the same but it seem to disconnect and connect every fee seconds in game.
    EG:
    Halo3 i go to red bar to green bar to red bar every fee seconds never got this before.
    Cod4 pc.
    It's the same but only it goes connection disconnected every fee seconds.
    Everything is fine surfing the net is fine.
    I am on a Eircom broadband business 8.00mb line.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm in Limerick and getting the same shíte...think Eircom are upgrading exchanges or something like that...
    there's a thread somewhere about this already in here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

In Castleknock Dublin 15 and same sh1t since the weekend. FFS Eircom can they not just provide the service we are paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

My BB has been rubbish for about a month now. Only get good download speeds after 2am. It's retarded. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Same here in D10,usually happens from 5-7,but seems like that constantly now
    Look at this for a speedtest.That's on a 3 meg connection.
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/674164226.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]674164226.png

I don't understand how my connestion can be so bad and still recieve an A on pingtest.It was B yesterday btw.
    [URL="[URL=http://www.pingtest.net][IMG]http://www.pingtest.net/result/7196767.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]7196767.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Haven't had this issue for a few months but started again tonight :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

They're definitely dicking around with something...I'm getting the full speed on the 7meg package from rapidshare..but then it starts fluctuating like mad..
    Doing a consistent ping shows about 25% timeouts...can't even play a fúcking game like this...
    Definitely ringing tomorrow evening to complain...
    Broadband support are open till 10pm so they should know well what's going on...
    and if some clown tells me to reboot the router? they'll get a kick in the face :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

dubtom wrote: »
    Same here in D10,usually happens from 5-7,but seems like that constantly now
    Look at this for a speedtest.That's on a 3 meg connection.
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/674164226.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]674164226.png

I don't understand how my connestion can be so bad and still recieve an A on pingtest.It was B yesterday btw.
    [URL="[URL=http://www.pingtest.net][IMG]http://www.pingtest.net/result/7196767.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]7196767.png

Got the exact same result as you on my 3 meg :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

I'm the same, it has been this way for the last few months, on 3Mb home connection.
    From about 5pm till 11pm, online gaming is a waste of time. I have my connection interrupted for a second every 7 seconds :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Berkut wrote: »
    They're definitely dicking around with something...I'm getting the full speed on the 7meg package from rapidshare..but then it starts fluctuating like mad..
    Doing a consistent ping shows about 25% timeouts...can't even play a fúcking game like this...
    Definitely ringing tomorrow evening to complain...
    Broadband support are open till 10pm so they should know well what's going on...
    and if some clown tells me to reboot the router? they'll get a kick in the face :D

Is it at specific times of the day? If its just in the evenings follow these steps except dont move your modem to your main phone socket. If its all day follow the steps below.

Boot up your computer into safe mode with networking. Move your modem to the main drop point. Unplug everything else on the line. Turn off the wireless and firewall on the modem and connect up using a lan cable.

Call tech support after you have done all this and ask them to ping your modem. They will ask for your ip. If after all this they lose packets to your modem they will have a lines man look at it.

Just giving you a heads up on what you have to do (or at least say you did) in order to get someone to check out the line. If you dont wanna do all of this just disable your firewall on the modem and say you did all this stuff.

Hope this helps :)

Haven't had this issue for a few months but started again tonight :(

Similar to me, what do they be at. What is it they do that causes a line that works fine for months suddenly begin delivering a well under par service, can tthey not leave well enough alone. And BTW why I say the line works fine even then I don't get the full service. It's got to the point that if Eircom deliver maybe 75% of the service you are paying for your delighted. Just shows the crap we put up with in this country. In terms of the Internet Ireland is falling way behind the rest of Europe and paying more for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭vorbis^cs

having the same problem in buncrana, co.donegal.. ****ing nightmare cant go a few months without there service being a bollox. my ping goes up 250ms on uk and irish servers from around 8pm-12, i know its not long but thats when i only use it, paying for the dog crap to get it thrown in your face. worst thing aobut i cant get isps here because of my location therefore im stuck with this crap.

can any1 tell me about my line stats atm:

________________________ Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) ___3072 ____________384
    SN Margin (dB)_____________18.00_____________8.50
    Line Attenuation (dB)________45.00____________26.00
    CRC Errors ________________ 55 ________________0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Friend was having same issues in Cork with 3mb BB I did some pings last night and there was packet loss too, is anyone else having packet loss?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Don't forget the weather could be affecting a lot of lines at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

been happening me for months, well before cold snap, 25% packet loss when pinging anywhere between 8 and 11pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

ShevY wrote: »
    been happening me for months, well before cold snap, 25% packet loss when pinging anywhere between 8 and 11pm

Yup same problem so here. But only got the BB installed 1 month ago. Going to make a call to eircom about this issue can't imagine them doing much though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I just get a red light on my router and lose connection,so I can't even check for packet loss when it's like that. When I get the connection back I have no packet loss and get a A rating. I'm paying eircom €70+ a month for phone and broadband,may as well switch to UPC for a 30 mg connection and no phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

I was getting paranoid and thought someone in my apt building was using my wi fi and that was why my connection was slow. I know people used to be able to do this using eircom thinger if you had an old modem but is it possible anymore? My network is secured btw.

I'm on 1mb eircom in D8, I set up my xbox to sky player via ethernet cable because I thought it was going to be faster than the wireless adapter which was crap. Turns out they're both crap or is it because I'm only on 1mb?

dub45 wrote: »
    Don't forget the weather could be affecting a lot of lines at the moment.

Sounds like an excuse an Eircom techie would use when he is lost for ideas :). Seriously though how can the weather be affecting our internet service and if that was the case would'nt everybody be experiencing the same issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Sounds like an excuse an Eircom techie would use when he is lost for ideas :). Seriously though how can the weather be affecting our internet service and if that was the case would'nt everybody be experiencing the same issues.

Lol, yeah its a very general term. Your line could be effected due to freeze thaw action or maybe it was just ****e to begin with and moister got in and made it worse. Any number of ways really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'm in limerick, download speed is fine, but the ping is always around 200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

I'm just getting rid of fúcking Eircom and switching to UPC....for the past few months, my connection has been so dodgy; my connection is regularly lost with just a red light on my router indicating the line is down and I also get constant high pings in games making it almost unplayable.

On a 3MB connection I get:
    675921417.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

ShevY wrote: »

I have this exact problem too, I'm in Nenagh, making gaming impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭lisij

same here Enniscorthy, its starts at 7pm till 10:30 or something like that disconects every 2-5 seconds ohhhh..., im watching IPTV, and argghhhhh... it so f... bullsh... im so mad, by the way im on 7mb, and my ping is always 100ms, but that not good anyway
    forgot to mention it started way before cold, maybe 2.5 month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭borygo77

Hi lads! Just thinkin about eircom cuz I've got it installed yesterday....
    I'm on 8Mbps busines package and everything is ok speeds are fine.
    But I'm wonder why their 8mb is not ****in 8Mbps but only 6.5 Mbps!

Broadband 8Mbps should allow me downloading with speeds up to 1MB per sec exactly 1024 Kilobajt per sec....

Am I right??

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭lisij

borygo77 wrote: »

Broadband 8Mbps should allow me downloading with speeds up to 1MB per sec exactly 1024 Kilobajt per sec....

Am I right??
    well im not sure about the busines package, but im on ordinary 7mb and my download is 750mb/sec so yours should be something around 850-900

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

borygo77 wrote: »

Am I right??

Because if you look at the eircom site its says UP TO 8Mb. Your line stats are probably not able to support the full 8Mb package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Maskedgameguru

Ya m8 my are wasn't able to handle the line but because i am less that 100 yard away for the exchange it's ok.
    I h8 eircom upc is a lot better in speeds but we can't get it out were I live it's outside galway city near tuam.Corofin.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭borygo77

Pokes wrote: »
    Because if you look at the eircom site its says UP TO 8Mb. Your line stats are probably not able to support the full 8Mb package.

I know what I'm talkin about my frend! Look at my router.....

eircom Broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt Speed: 8160 kbps /800 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 11 dB /6 dB DSL
    Noise Margin: 17 dB /13 dB

As we all know it can easly handle up to 12Mbps but eircom setup my download at 8160 kbps what is 6.528 Mbps
    Now how I'm found this....
    1 Bajt (1B) = 8 bits (8b) then
    8160 kbps * 0.8 = 6528 What I have at the moment......
    And exactly this is on my speedtests! Thats allow me to download with max 840 kilobajts (not kilobits) per sec...

So then if 1bit is 0.8 Bajt it looks like this 8000bits / 0.8Bajt = 10000
    10000 should be set on my speed limit then I can say my broadband is 8Mbps!
    8 Mbps shoul allow us to download with 1MB/s :cool:

What u think guys ?

Advertisement