Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College: Computer Science and... Music?

Options
  • 06-01-2010 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I need advice!
    I'd like to get a computer science degree, as one that might actually get me a job, but I also want to do a music degree, cos I'm interested in composing (I've been doing music since I was like seven :) )

Is there any course that could combine such different areas?? :confused:
    Or is that a really stupid combination? :D

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Music Technology maybe? computers and music!? I dunno.. In UCC I know Computer Science and Music are both subject choices for Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

You can do both as part of an Arts degree in Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MayoExplosion

Thanks for the quick replies!
    UCC and NUI maynooth do look good, but I live in Dublin and can't really afford to go somewhere far (we don't even have a car! :rolleyes: ) So a Dublin college is what I really need.
    I knew I left something out in the original post!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You can do CS through Arts in UCD.

So read up on subject combinations in UCD Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

unknown13 wrote: »
    You can do both as part of an Arts degree in Maynooth.

This. Maynooth is within easy reach of Dublin.

Do it through Arts, however. Music tech does include a lot of computer science, but I've just finished there and I've heard constant horror stories about that degree. Last year the department wiped the hard-drives for no reason, loads of people lost months and months of coursework. They were given a one-week extension to do it all again. They had to change the degree title from BMus to BA halfway through, so people didn't even get the degree they applied for. Train wreck of a course.

Do Arts, I'm fairly sure you can combine computer science and music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

You could do a CS degree and then look for postgrad opportunities in the field of Music Technology. I think Maynooth offer such a masters course, but it would be worth checking out. I'm doing CS in Trinity, PM me if you want to ask me anything.

Thanks for all the replies :)
    boblong wrote: »
    You could do a CS degree and then look for postgrad opportunities in the field of Music Technology.

I like the sound of that, I'd have a degree for a job and get to do a bit of music as well :) Yay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 WHirl7

I'm looking to do CS next year too and I have looked into this a good bit so I'll tell you a few things I have found.

Music and CS clash in the Arts degree in Maynooth so you cannot do them together unfortunately.

CS is no longer an Arts subject in UCD. However, if you do CS there, you might be able to do some Music modules through the Horizons programmme.

A Multimedia degree in Maynooth might be something to look into, I've heard you do a good bit of CS in that and there's a lot of music editing and stuff in it you might be interested in. Also, you have the option of doing it as a BA or a BSc, choosing another Arts or Science subject with it in first year respectively. Because of this you can transfer to the general Arts or Science degrees after first year with CS as one of your subjects.

If you really wanted to focus more on music, especially composing, you could do a Two Subject Moderatorship in Trinity with Music and maybe Mathematics, which does have some CS aspects to it. You have to do an Entrance Exam for this though.

Those are just a few more options available to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Well DIT do computing courses and music courses...Maybe you could do the computers course and do some music in the evening?

Did you try searching on qualifax?
    http://www.qualifax.ie/

WHirl7 wrote: »

CS is no longer an Arts subject in UCD. However, if you do CS there, you might be able to do some Music modules through the Horizons programmme.

A Multimedia degree in Maynooth might be something to look into, I've heard you do a good bit of CS in that and there's a lot of music editing and stuff in it you might be interested in. Also, you have the option of doing it as a BA or a BSc, choosing another Arts or Science subject with it in first year respectively. Because of this you can transfer to the general Arts or Science degrees after first year with CS as one of your subjects.

If you really wanted to focus more on music, especially composing, you could do a Two Subject Moderatorship in Trinity with Music and maybe Mathematics, which does have some CS aspects to it. You have to do an Entrance Exam for this though.

Those are just a few more options available to you!

Thanks, the Maynooth one does look good. I'll have to look into it more! :)

I was originally thinking about the TSM, but the combinations are so limited (music seems to go with things like drama studies and philosophy). And in fairness mathematics is probably more maths than computer science :(
    neil_18_ wrote: »
    Well DIT do computing courses and music courses...Maybe you could do the computers course and do some music in the evening?

Funny you should say that, I've been going to DIT for music since I was eleven :)
    It's really expensive if I were to do music outside the degree like that :( Even just my current practical lessons in DIT (which I would have to keep doing if I did music in Trinity cos they don't teach practical :( ) cost like 1000 a year or something :(

Again thanks for the suggestions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 WHirl7

I was originally thinking about the TSM, but the combinations are so limited (music seems to go with things like drama studies and philosophy). And in fairness mathematics is probably more maths than computer science :(

Ah yeah, that's true, bear in mind though that any CS course is going to have a bit of maths in it, and in TCD you need a HC3 in Maths to get into CS.

Advertisement