Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa for New Zealand

Options
  • 06-01-2010 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi all,

Had a good search there but couldnt find anything on this. Am thinking of heading over to NZ for a year and am wondering is there another visa apart from the WHV?? was on usit.ie there and it appears theres another visa called work and travel?? judging by this section there are two visa:

"You do not need to have a job offer to apply for the Work & Travel in New Zealand programme and since New Zealand is currently experiencing the lowest unemployment rates for 16 years, you will have no problems finding work after arrival!

Whether professional career-advancement or making friends is your priority, you are sure to find your niche within the wide range of jobs available: from ski instructors to hotel staff, IT to organic farming.

Don't forget that although you arrive into Auckland on the North Island, you are free to live and work anywhere on the two islands!"

Am i right?? any help much appreciated! thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I don't know about the work situation in NZ, I can however tell you don't bother with the middleman that is USIT and do it yourself unless you want to throw away good money.

NZ WHV:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/irelandworkingholidayscheme.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

ok thanks a lot, just been on that website there and it says u must apply for your visa through a NZ embassy and found out i have to apply to the london embassy. Its going to cost 50 GBP to apply for the visa, if i get accepted is there another fee for the visa on top of this or?? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

out of interest how long did it take from the date you submitted the online application to actually getting notification of a grant of the NZ WHV?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

out of interest how long did it take from the date you submitted the online application to actually getting notification of a grant of the NZ WHV?

took me 48 hours from when i applied...

• Advertisement

thanks for that. google suggested around 2 weeks. it's been 24 hours already, if i have it by tomorrow night i'd be delighted.

just out of interest for anyone else who might be looking, i just got approved for the WHV for NZ. took about 30 hours. woo hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

"You do not need to have a job offer to apply for the Work & Travel in New Zealand programme and since New Zealand is currently experiencing the lowest unemployment rates for 16 years, you will have no problems finding work after arrival!

Whether professional career-advancement or making friends is your priority, you are sure to find your niche within the wide range of jobs available: from ski instructors to hotel staff, IT to organic farming.

Don't forget that although you arrive into Auckland on the North Island, you are free to live and work anywhere on the two islands!"

Now isn't that nice? About 2 years out of date unfortunately (though a 9 year high of 6.5% isn't bad at all).

lmr-hlfs-sep09-fig2-large.gif

http://www.dol.govt.nz/publications/lmr/lmr-hlfs.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I heard from someone that the max age for the NZ WHV is 35 years of age. Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Believe the max age is 30, however there is now a new Silver Fern visa being made available to 25 - 35 year olds, although I believe you have to be skilled.

Google New Zealand immigration Silver Fern visa or New Zealand immigration working holiday visa. Their site is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Taz79

I don't know about the work situation in NZ, I can however tell you don't bother with the middleman that is USIT and do it yourself unless you want to throw away good money.

NZ WHV:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/irelandworkingholidayscheme.htm

Totally agree..tried to get my WHV for canada lately and its beyond belief what USIT are charging and their 'terms and conditions'...Its put me right off it..so now Im looking into NZ
    Ive been looking on the site mentioned above. Can anyone tell me what the fee is? Looked into visafirst and they are 160ish Euro. New Zealand Visa Bureau are 169 sterling.
    Also, I organised my own bank/tax number when I was in Aus..think i can do it myself in NZ..anyone got advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Yeah, you can organise your bank account before you go:
    http://www.nationalbank.co.nz/personal/life/movingtonz/newresident.aspx

Other banks are the asb (asb.co.nz), bank of nz (bnz.co.nz), anz, westpac, and kiwibank. Should be a lot less painful than getting an Irish bank account.

You get your IRD (tax) number from the Inland Revenue Department (www.ird.govt.nz). Can't say how long this takes or what the process is now, as I got my number several years ago when starting a part time job after school.

I can't think of anything much else you'd need, except Ireland and New Zealand don't have a reciprocal health agreement, and I think if you are on a working holiday visa, you have to stump up the cash if you have to go to hospital (unless it's an accident covered by ACC), so travel insurance is advisable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I heard from someone that the max age for the NZ WHV is 35 years of age. Is this true?

BUNAC do one for UK and Ireland citizens up till 35. Its not a skills Visa.

esharknz wrote: »
    Yeah, you can organise your bank account before you go:
    http://www.nationalbank.co.nz/personal/life/movingtonz/newresident.aspx

Other banks are the asb (asb.co.nz), bank of nz (bnz.co.nz), anz, westpac, and kiwibank. Should be a lot less painful than getting an Irish bank account.

You get your IRD (tax) number from the Inland Revenue Department (www.ird.govt.nz). Can't say how long this takes or what the process is now, as I got my number several years ago when starting a part time job after school.

I can't think of anything much else you'd need, except Ireland and New Zealand don't have a reciprocal health agreement, and I think if you are on a working holiday visa, you have to stump up the cash if you have to go to hospital (unless it's an accident covered by ACC), so travel insurance is advisable.

Thanks for the info, just wanted to make sure I didn't refuse the help then realise it was a minefield..seems easy enough to do myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Just found the link for you for the IRD number:

http://www.ird.govt.nz/resources/0/6/067bf4004bc1b4ea8a909b2b4d8740fd/ir595.pdf

Seems you just need to show a passport and drivers license (overseas, if necessary) amongst other things, so not quite as difficult as me racing around Cork trying to get an address verified then running back down to wait in line to get a PPS number during the boom :)

You need to make photocopies and go to the AA (there is usually an office in each city/town) or a post shop.

esharknz wrote: »
    Just found the link for you for the IRD number:

http://www.ird.govt.nz/resources/0/6/067bf4004bc1b4ea8a909b2b4d8740fd/ir595.pdf

Seems you just need to show a passport and drivers license (overseas, if necessary) amongst other things, so not quite as difficult as me racing around Cork trying to get an address verified then running back down to wait in line to get a PPS number during the boom :)

You need to make photocopies and go to the AA (there is usually an office in each city/town) or a post shop.

thanks again....Ill be doin it all myself then

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ekwi

Just looked through the posts there. Am heading to NZ the end of March, got the WHV no problem off the official site, dont bother with the Visa First, Global Visa companies, the official site is very fast and official - www.immigration.govt.nz

My question is though, do I need the $4,200 (€2,100) bank account balance. I have secured seasonal employment on a farm who are paying my return flight after the season. I don't know if I could get a loan for that amount as I am unemployed here in Ireland at the moment and you always have to pay it back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Well if you've read the immigration stuff you know you're supposed to be able to prove you can support yourself. Therefore you might get asked at customs to show evidence of money in an account or a ticket home etc.

I, nor anyone I know has ever been asked to show statements or anything nor has many people that have posted about this on boards.

But there's always the chance they could pick on you and ask :)

But probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ekwi

Thanks, that's what Ive been hearing anyway. Better to have it incase they do check. Plus I guess these days with so many emigrating they might be more inclined to check.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

interesting about the silver fern visa, first I have heard of it but I dont think its official yet.
    Also, if one gets a NZ WHV are they able to then get a BUNAC visa for after that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement