Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Murphy reported to be moving back to carlow.(MOD WARNINGS, SEE POSTS #2 AND 28)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'm locking this for now. PM sent to the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

after consultation we have agreed to re-open this thread but be warned.

We will not be tolerating any speculation or non-factual content on this one. It will be heavily moderated and if anyone steps out of line I will hand out 2 week bans and I will close the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Right, before testicle gets this thread locked, I am going to have my say.

Having read some of the articles, I was amazed to see The Nationalist claim that 16 detectives would be employed to protect Murphy. Im surprised somebody can make a decision that endangers themselves and costs the state money. Never mind the potential impact it could cause to those involved in the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I hope he's banned out of every licenced estalishment and every single business in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Having read some of the articles, I was amazed to see The Nationalist claim that 16 detectives would be employed to protect Murphy. Im surprised somebody can make a decision that endangers themselves and costs the state money. Never mind the potential impact it could cause to those involved in the case.
    I would take everything reported by papers with a grain of salt,journalists are not renound for looking up the actual facts before writing their articles.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Yeah I love the way the article says he is "expected" to live in Carlow. Why not go the whole hog and say "could potentially".

I'm surprised they didn't hand out free pitchforks with that newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Maximilian wrote: »
    Yeah I love the way the article says he is "expected" to live in Carlow. Why not go the whole hog and say "could potentially".

I'm surprised they didn't hand out free pitchforks with that newspaper.
    He could potentially live ANYWHERE in Ireland, Europe or The World.
    Thought it a bit of a non-story tbh when I saw headline.
    Not sure if he still with wifey or not but couldn't say Wickla People have reported same story ondly using he is expected to live/stay/remain on in Balto (where he from originally no?)?
    It smacks me of nothing much to write about journalism.
    With the Weather way it is, a "story" like this could've waited til closer time he was released.
    Later this year could mean Enda December ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I hate all that getting off early for good behaviour crap. I cant see the local people being happy wherever he moves to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

I would imagine that he will be banned from local establishments as the owners would be afraid of "others" taking the law into their own hands thus causing conflict.
    Residents in Carlow, or whatever town / area he decides to live in, will be monitoring his every movements I would imagine.
    "Good Behaviour" I wish someone could explain this term to me. I steal a "loaf of bread", I get 3 months in prision and because I am "Good" I get out early ???? The law itself has a lot to answer for?
    There are people sitting in high office handing out minor sentences for major crimes and because they have armed protection from the state or they live in so called "posh" areas of the country where crime is low, they loose the reality of the situation.
    I have been as PC as I could with this thread. Oh I had to bite my tongue.

Not sure if he still with wifey or not

No, and i do feel sorry for her and her children, they will go through the rest of their lives known by the gossip mongers as the wife or children of LM which is a terrible pity as they are very decent people.

Establishments will have a problem banning him if he is released, no different than places tryiing to ban people just because they are from the traveling community. Regardless of what we may think once he is released he is starting a clean sheet as he cannot be retried on previous evidence and even if he is found guilty of another crime his previous ones can not be brought to bear on future hearings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I was banned from here for calling the Mods Nazis, I was unable to get in before you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

testicle wrote: »
    I was banned from here for calling the Mods Nazis, I was unable to get in before you.

Oh hello. Just reminding you that we are still alive and kicking my dear old friend. Threading on very thin ice. Just a tip.

Now, lets swing this back on topic thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

"HE SHOULD BE LOCKED UP FOR GOOD!!!!111"

We should all join that facebook page "don't let larry out", maybe then they'll reconsider and lock him up for life

Sully wrote: »
    Oh hello. Just reminding you that we are still alive and kicking my dear old friend.

So am I my ould flower, so am I :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭shotgun mike

We should all join that facebook page "don't let larry out", maybe then they'll reconsider and lock him up for life

yes, the minister for justice is going to circumvent a judge's and prison board's decision because people joined a facebook page. that, i'm really sorry to say, ranks as more a naive statement (and indeed campaign) than the whole thierry henry thing.

People commit crimes, people are convicted of crimes, judges weigh up all the evidence and attempt to impose an unbiased sentence. After serving time in prison, people are judged on those years and if they have not caused much, or any, trouble in prison, fulfilled certain obligations they are rewarded with time taken off their sentence.

This is not a new system introduced for larry murphy, it is a fact of the irish legal system... and as much as we all love to bitch and moan about the irish prison system, ireland is still ranked as one of the safer countries and europe and so the world.

get over it.

yes, the minister for justice is going to circumvent a judge's and prison board's decision because people joined a facebook page. that, i'm really sorry to say, ranks as more a naive statement (and indeed campaign) than the whole thierry henry thing.

People commit crimes, people are convicted of crimes, judges weigh up all the evidence and attempt to impose an unbiased sentence. After serving time in prison, people are judged on those years and if they have not caused much, or any, trouble in prison, fulfilled certain obligations they are rewarded with time taken off their sentence.

This is not a new system introduced for larry murphy, it is a fact of the irish legal system... and as much as we all love to bitch and moan about the irish prison system, ireland is still ranked as one of the safer countries and europe and so the world.

get over it.

I'm on your side, there was a lot of sarcasm in my post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

"If we get 1,000,000 members, the Department for Justice will keep Larry Murphy locked up for good"

God i hate those Facebook pages. And i hate people who believe them even more.

On topic, i would NOT be happy having this guy live anywhere near me. IMO, 8-9 years sitting in a prison cell is not rehabilitation for a rapist.

I'm on your side, there was a lot of sarcasm in my post ;)

Ah Touche!!

did you use the main road? No, we came round by southern Yemen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I could never understand why people like him are allowed back to their home town or neighbouring town after their release.

super-rush wrote: »
    I could never understand why people like him are allowed back to their home town or neighbouring town after their release.

people serve time, repay their 'debt to society' and so, thoretically, in this country at least, their slate is wiped clean. unless convicted after june 2001, in which case they have to sign a sex offenders register.

• Advertisement

My God there is a lot I would love to say about some of the posts above but I am sad to say that people cannot always speak their mind without feeling the wrath.
    Just because it is the law dosent mean it is correct. Sometimes the law can be wrong, maybe not legally but maybe morally ???
    Its amazing what people in high offie will decide when they are not affected by the crime.

The Gish wrote: »
    My God there is a lot I would love to say about some of the posts above but I am sad to say that people cannot always speak their mind without feeling the wrath.
    Just because it is the law dosent mean it is correct. Sometimes the law can be wrong, maybe not legally but maybe morally ???
    Its amazing what people in high offie will decide when they are not affected by the crime.

Do you wanna foot the bill to keep all these crims locked up for life?

I am a firm follower of the long drop short rope for his ilk but sadly the bleeding hearts and tree huggers have put an end to it in this country.

homerhop wrote: »
    I am a firm follower of the long drop short rope for his ilk but sadly the bleeding hearts and tree huggers have put an end to it in this country.

You mean the EU have? It's a condition of membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pure johnage

get over it.

Get over it? tell that to his family and the family of his victims.He committed sick sick crimes and should not ever be let out.

I hate to think how someone mite decide to take the law into his own hands with a few pints in thier system and yet another life could potentialy be ruined by this p.r.i.c.k.

let him rot where he is.

testicle wrote: »
    You mean the EU have? It's a condition of membership.

More is the pity, perhaps we should suggest bringing it back and see what fellow eu member state kicks up the most fuss, stick him on a plane and let them deal with him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Warning number 1.

This is not the place to discuss bringing back the Death Penalty.
    Stay on topic or this Thread goes in the bin.

ShayK1
    Carlow Mod

Do you wanna foot the bill to keep all these crims locked up for life?

Maybe this can be moved to a new thread if it is off topic ??

but to reply to the question. I AM paying for it. With my taxes. I am paying to keep the community safe and my children protected. Is that not enough? Or does the government want blood too? Oh wait they have got it !!
    As for keeping people out of pubs and clubs. That can happen. You do need a valid reason to stop someone from entering a place of business and maybe, just maybe the fact that a person entering the club or pub may cause friction an/or trouble in place is reason enough???

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Warning number 1.

This is not the place to discuss bringing back the Death Penalty.
    Stay on topic or this Thread goes in the bin.

ShayK1
    Carlow Mod

God forbid that a conversation actually flows, and people discuss what they want to discuss. Obviously while discussing Larry Murphy, his original sentence will come up, and people have opinions on what sentence that should be, or should be free to suggest another one - and if so, what obstacles could be in the way to that sentence.

Its been mentioned previously on this tread, but there is a shocking abuse of mod powers in this forum imo. Mods seem to be in a constant defensive, or confrontational, mode. Its not the way to run a forum. imo. I've read the charter, and like everything else, its open to intrepretation. Just because a mod doesn't like where a conversation goes, doesn't mean he has to start handing out warnings like snuff at a wake.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

God forbid that a conversation actually flows, and people discuss what they want to discuss. Obviously while discussing Larry Murphy, his original sentence will come up, and people have opinions on what sentence that should be, or should be free to suggest another one - and if so, what obstacles could be in the way to that sentence.

Its been mentioned previously on this tread, but there is a shocking abuse of mod powers in this forum imo. Mods seem to be in a constant defensive, or confrontational, mode. Its not the way to run a forum. imo. I've read the charter, and like everything else, its open to intrepretation. Just because a mod doesn't like where a conversation goes, doesn't mean he has to start handing out warnings like snuff at a wake.

You really couldn't be more wrong. Discussions like these have a strong tendency to descend into libelfests. When this thread was initially locked & referred to the legal moderators for their opinion, the recommendation was to shut it down. The mods of this forum argued to keep it open on the promise to monitor it closely, so people could have their say.

To my mind, you owe them an apology (but nobody ever admits they're wrong on the internet)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement