Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

australia for the summer help please????

Options
  • 06-01-2010 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

so me and around 6 of my friends are thinking of heading to Australia for the summer (were all 19) from around the 8th of june to the 10th of august, we were thinking about renting a camper van and driving around or we were thinking of getting a train pass and using youth hostels as well, my question is from past experiences which way do you think would be the best and cheapest to do it by train or camper van? anything else that you might think will help please reply! thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

It depends on where your going to be staying. Myself and the OH drove and camped, and we made it from Perth to the Gold Coast with around $7000. But we didnt stay long in any cities, only a week in Melbourne, and a few nights in Sydney.

You can do it as cheap, or as dear as you want. Where do ye want to go? is it just the main cities? If it is, i would say the train or fly, because is so bloody far between them, (Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane). And the public transport in the cities is great, you can get pretty much anywhere. Hostel can cost you about 20-30 for a dorm.

But if ye want to see the country, then get a campervan. you can usually get a camp site from 15-30 dollars a night. Shop around though, cause prices can vary a lot.

From my experience, driving yourself is cheaper. On most of the main highways you can pull into rest stops and camp for free! As long as you dint mind strange noises during the night:p And its easier to cook for yourself too, saving more money. As soon as we reached melbourne, our money just started dissapearing! Even though we were staying with a friend, but we did live it up ;) Awesome city!

So it all depends on what ye want to do, road trip it and see the country side? or party in the cities? or both?

EDIT: Just remember that june to august is winter here, so the further south you go, Melbourne, south new south wales, the colder and wetter it is. Its the dry season up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

hi thanks for your reply, what is the weather like during australias winters we would be traveling around the south i think we would be starting in Adelaide and heading around the coast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

hi thanks for your reply, what is the weather like during australias winters we would be traveling around the south i think we would be starting in Adelaide and heading around the coast?

You would be pretty crazy travelling around the south of the country at that time of year...you would be much better doing North of WA, across NT and onto Queensland...

We left Perth in June and headed south - had to turn back at Augusta the weather was so bad...similar story with the great ocean road, we travelled around there in August a year later and it was awful...go as far North as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I agree with FreeAnd, the weather down there would be pretty much like Ireland that time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭gmonov1

if your gonna drive yourself i wouldn't suggest going anywhere too far inland, i drove to uluru with 2 other people and the cost was unreal, petrol prices about 1 dollar more per liter than the average. you wont go far wrong starting in cairns and driving down the gold coast doing some island hopping on the way, fraser island whitsundays etc
    whatever way you do it your gonna have the time of your life, and your post has just made me a very jealous boy indeed:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement