Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh-summer '10

Options
  • 06-01-2010 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I know it's early but I was thinking of spending the summer in Edinburgh with a few friends, did the J1 last year and don't have the money for a visa and expensive flights again, so somewhere closer to home was appealing!

Just wondering if anyone has done it and any advice on where to stay, look for work etc?

Would be appreciated! Thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CANADA2010

Go for it :)

Its the most fun place to be during the summer and weather isn't always bad.

I spent a few summers in America including the most exciting city on earth New York but as amazing as NYC is (its my favourite city) I don't think anything can compare to the fun that can be had in Edinburgh during the summer. Its just 24-7 and you have the lovely meadows (massive park) to chill out in on your day off.

If you get there in June you will have no problem arranging a job for the festival, there are heaps of them going. I worked as a barmaid at the Ladyboys of Bangkok and it was a 7 day a week job but it never felt like work - honestly :). They usually recruit in July and the job comes under 'The Arts Exchange' who advertise usually on the ed fringe forum webpage (www.edfringe.com), however, theres a new website now which doesn't seem to have a forum but maybe closer to the time they'll set one up.

The E4 (the udderbelly) tent look for barstaff every year, or my friend got a job at the castle who take on staff from may or june i think, sandie bells is a small pub that plays trad music nightly that usually take on someone new for the fringe. Lovely place. But seriously there will be loads of jobs there. I lived in Marchmont while I Was there, perfect location but anywhere I figure will be great in Edinburgh because it really is a gorgeous city.

Best of luck :)
    ps gumtree is a great website for accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dresstoimpress

I agree. Go for it.
    I did it about 5 years ago, and Loved it. The festival is on for the full month of august, and the city is jammers so loads of work.
    The only thing is not to expect to make money, wages are low enough, and the social life is mad. I worked in the edinburgh dungeons who hired in the beginning of july, but might be worth sending some emails now. They hired 5 irish girls that year so they have a fondness for us. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Was thinking of hitting Edinburgh myself this summer too, been over during the fringe the past 2 summers and the buzz in the city is fantastic! One thing I even noticed in August last year was the amount of cafes still advertising for staff in their windows....makes a bit of a change to back home!

In terms of accomadation , are the rent rates through the roof during the summer? Is it easy enough for accomadation to eat all your wages up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 notsureatall

There is plenty of jobs going for the fringe,however if you plan to go to Edinburgh for only the month of augest you will find the price for accommodation higher than normal.
    The social life is mad and everyone enjoys being in the city,the population explodes during the fringe.
    I would recommend looking for somewhere to stay on gumtree.There are many Irish students over here for university also,who would not mind renting out their bedrooms either so if you know anyone over studying they might have buddies who have an empty apartment during the summer.They would be delighted to have some of the rent being paid!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭caroline72

im doing the same and heading there for summer,i used to live there but my bank account is now closed,is that an issue when looking for work or how do they pay irish there for the summer???

• Advertisement
Advertisement