Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random thread above the roof in Sligo station

• 04-01-2010 3:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hungerford wrote: »
    Yep but it's been seriously neglected by IE in recent years. What I was referring to was the possibility that they might clean it up and reglaze it.

Come to think of it, the entire building is meant to be preserved but is in a shocking state.

They never reglazed the roof on Sligo station. Was Galway always a black box?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    They never reglazed the roof on Sligo station. Was Galway always a black box?

In fairness, they never reglazed it after the IRA burnt it down in the 1920s. I've always wondered about the stations in Galway and Limerick - they are miserable dark dumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The trainshed at Heuston is also preserved, but it was cleaned and reglazed a few years back and the station was transformed by the amount of light coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

In fairness, they never reglazed it after the IRA burnt it down in the 1920s. I've always wondered about the stations in Galway and Limerick - they are miserable dark dumps.

Ah now, there's a big difference between Limerick and Galway. They could both do with a lick of paint, but whereas Limerick is a big, fairly spacious station with 4 rail platforms, a bus station, and a car park, Galway train station is a dark narrow box, with space for one train at a time. Although it is better situated for the city centre.

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Ah now, there's a big difference between Limerick and Galway. They could both do with a lick of paint, but whereas Limerick is a big, fairly spacious station with 4 rail platforms, a bus station, and a car park, Galway train station is a dark narrow box, with space for one train at a time. Although it is better situated for the city centre.

The Galway Bus Eireann and rail station is to be completely redeveloped with the new entrance being on the side of the building currently occupied by the Bus Eireann garage.

The depot is moving to a new location by the docks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Galway redevelopment:
    http://www.cie.ie/projects/galway_station_redevelopment.asp

Open Day Boards: (PDF) http://www.cie.ie/projects/open_days_boards.pdf

Given its dependence on retail etc. I don't think we need hold our breath. I note almost 2000 car parking spaces would be part of the project. So much for transport-focused development! While three platforms will suffice for the current level of service one wonders if that will impinge on any improvements on the line especially if one allows for a disabled train blocking a platform.

I would have built a new station with 2 9+ car and 2 6 car platforms on an 200m x 300m infill of the east side of the Lough with the rails removed from the existing bridge and a new roadbridge from the end of Fairgreen Road (beside the Radisson) and made the historic station and lands someone else's problem.

• Advertisement

Well the Bus Eireann depot at the docks is now ready for operation so the site at Eyre Square either has been, or will very soon be, vacated.

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Galway train station is a dark narrow box, with space for one train at a time. Although it is better situated for the city centre.

I seem to have done both stations a disservice. According to Eiretrains, Galway is only like ta shoebox because CIE closed half the original trainshed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

dowlingm wrote: »

An art gallery! How will this combat global warming. It is a locomotive shed for LOCOMOTIVES. To carry FREIGHT.

The new "world class terminal" is no bigger than some Luas and Arrow stations. Once again the West is shortchanged and the planet moves one step closer to meltdown.

Well done Irish Rail...

Michael Twee and Macnas will love it though. Jim Fahy will probably do a special report!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

dowlingm wrote: »
    Michael Twee and Macnas will love it though. Jim Fahy will probably do a special report!

In fairness at least CIE's plan sees the station remain in situ whereas your proposal would end up with a bare, isolated platform like that at Rosslare Euroshack! :D

• Advertisement

The new "world class terminal" is no bigger than some Luas and Arrow stations. Once again the West is shortchanged and the planet moves one step closer to meltdown.

Have you spotted how all those troublesome freight lines have been removed to accomodate Uncle Dick Fearn's railcar future? I think Tricky Dicky's regime will be remembered for all the wrong reasons once the green agenda fully kicks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

What would you prefer to see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Have you spotted how all those troublesome freight lines have been removed to accomodate Uncle Dick Fearn's railcar future? I think Tricky Dicky's regime will be remembered for all the wrong reasons once the green agenda fully kicks in.

How would these troublesome freight trains have managed when the line was closed due to flooding????

I think there's more scope for interesting architecture in a greenfield site - not to mention that after Helsinki terminal platforms abutting public buildings won't be quite so popular :)

We really have wandered off the original point though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Posts split from the Pearse Station thread. Can we stay vaguely on topic?

Advertisement