Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ebay item is fake and seller is not responding!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Rocrules

Hi, my problem is similar to many of the posts here.

I ordered a kingston 16gb micro sd card with adaptor from a UK seller. 100% feedback etc etc.

I received the item 2 days later (nice). The adaptor was branded, but the micro sd card had no branding. This did not match the photo. I was immediately suspicious and checked the card capacity and found that it had less than 1gb capacity!

I was about to contact ebay about this when I noticed a message in my inbox from ebay. They told me that the item was delisted and not to proceed with the transaction. Too late. The seller was also 'no longer a registered user'.

Feck. I lodged a snad dipute with paypal and they said that I would be entitled to a refund, but first I must send the item back to the seller! I rang paypal support about this and they told me that I must proove that the item is fraudulant. I asked them about the fact that the seller is 'dodgy' and the mail I got from ebay, but they said that they don't have anything to do with ebay (privacy protection etc etc). Apparently the seller agreed to give a refund if I sent the item back - this being the seller who is no longer a registered user.

Now I'm trying to contact ebay to get some answers about the whole transaction and why the listing and seller have disappeared but, funnily enough it's nearly impossible to get in touch with ebay! I want to see if the fact that the seller is obviously dodgy, ebay could communicate this to paypal and therefore I can avoid returning the item.

Is there any way to get my money back without returning the item?

Can anyone suggest a way of getting someone (on headed paper no less) to verify that it isn't authentic? I doubt pc world would be happy to help someone who is buying their stuff online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Rocrules wrote: »
    Feck. I lodged a snad dipute with paypal and they said that I would be entitled to a refund, but first I must send the item back to the seller! I rang paypal support about this and they told me that I must proove that the item is fraudulant. I asked them about the fact that the seller is 'dodgy' and the mail I got from ebay, but they said that they don't have anything to do with ebay (privacy protection etc etc). Apparently the seller agreed to give a refund if I sent the item back - this being the seller who is no longer a registered user.

Paypal is owned by eBay, but they don't seem to have any links when customer service is needed.
    Now I'm trying to contact ebay to get some answers about the whole transaction and why the listing and seller have disappeared but, funnily enough it's nearly impossible to get in touch with ebay! I want to see if the fact that the seller is obviously dodgy, ebay could communicate this to paypal and therefore I can avoid returning the item.

Don't waste your time. eBay, even if they answer, will not help. If they do answer, they'll probably tell you the day of the week or some similarly useless information that you didn't ask them for. In short, eBay are useless. No one in there even reads what's written, they just pick a stock reply from a pile and send you that instead.
    Is there any way to get my money back without returning the item?

You could say it was returned by non registered post, and see what happens.
    Can anyone suggest a way of getting someone (on headed paper no less) to verify that it isn't authentic? I doubt pc world would be happy to help someone who is buying their stuff online.

You'll pay more than it's worth to do this.

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like my only option is to send it back at my own expense.

Assuming I have a tracking number, can the item be tracked once it gets into the UK? How do I prove it's been delivered? I have a feeling that the seller can still make things worse for me by either not accepting the package or by delaying until after the deadline (6/9/10). Apparently the item must be returned in the same condition as it arrived (which prevents me from deliberately damaging it).

This whole situation is ridiculous to be honest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

@Rocrules there's an app that will test the stick and report its actual size. PayPal must have been sent results from it before so I'd try that before you post anything back. Just looking now for a link.....

Loads of info here at raymond.cc blog
    Here is a standard tool called H2testw that a lot of eBayers use to PROVE they have received a fake from a seller

Direct link to H2testw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ttm wrote: »
    @Rocrules there's an app that will test the stick and report its actual size. PayPal must have been sent results from it before so I'd try that before you post anything back. Just looking now for a link.....
    Paypal wont accept that.

In order for the buyer to be awarded a full refund, a statement from a shop/retailer/other qualified 3rd party needs to be supplied.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Paypal wont accept that.

In order for the buyer to be awarded a full refund, a statement from a shop/retailer/other qualified 3rd party needs to be supplied.

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/24/paypal-claims-and-refunds-ebay-fake-flash/

as that article points out H2testw is a 3rd party.

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/10/03/paypal-apologizes-to-ebayer-ordered-return-counterfeit-items-using-postal-services-fake-flash-ebay-sellers/

is a logical follow on with a email for PayPal accepting the evidence.

Still I'm not saying it will be easy for Rocrules

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/24/paypal-claims-and-refunds-ebay-fake-flash/

as that article points out H2testw is a 3rd party.

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/10/03/paypal-apologizes-to-ebayer-ordered-return-counterfeit-items-using-postal-services-fake-flash-ebay-sellers/

is a logical follow on with a email for PayPal accepting the evidence.

Still I'm not saying it will be easy for Rocrules

I'm telling you for definite ;), that printout of a diagnostic will not be accepted if he files a counterfeit case

The only thing Paypal will accept is an official report from a manufacturer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

File a dispute with PayPal

• Advertisement

I'm telling you for definite ;), that printout of a diagnostic will not be accepted if he files a counterfeit case
    As Jor El says.
    jor el wrote: »
    The only thing Paypal will accept is an official report from a manufacturer.

As I am somewhat close to the process, I can advise that the documentation referred to would not be accepted in a counterfeit case. This is a fact.

Thats good glad you have that covered no point me or anyone else posting here then.
    :confused:

care to clarify

:confused:

care to clarify

As you are "close to the process" there is no point anyone else speculating as you obviously have the correct answer.

So goodbye

As you are "close to the process" there is no point anyone else speculating as you obviously have the correct answer.

So goodbye
    Fine

This is a discussion board, people discuss and look to find answers.

As I work for the company that will decide on the case I merely offered some helpful advice. Apologies if I offended.

Hi folks,

thanks again for the responses.

I have indeed used the program H2testw and it prooved that the card was a fake.

Here's a copy of an email I got from paypal with instructions on what to do to continue my claim.

Dear ****

Transaction Details

Transaction Date: Aug 20, 2010
    Transaction Amount: -28.00 GBP
    Your Transaction ID: ****************
    Case Number: ***************

Buyer's Transaction ID: ***************

In order to continue with our investigation, we request documentation to
    support your claim that the item is not authentic. Please obtain a document
    from an unbiased, third-party, such as a dealer, appraiser, or another
    individual or organisation that is qualified in the area of the item in
    question (other than yourself), which clearly identifies the item as not
    authentic. The document should include a serial number and description of
    the item and must be on letterhead paper that includes the name, signature,
    address, and phone number of the individual, business, or organisation so
    that PayPal may contact them if necessary.

To help us resolve this matter promptly, we request that you provide some
    documentation to support your claim.

- Login to PayPal account
    - Click on Help link (top right corner of the screen)
    - Enter "Name Change" and click "Search."
    - Click on the link "How do I change the name on my PayPal account?"
    - Click the "Secure Form" link in the answer.
    - Click the question "Personal Name Change (marriage, divorce, legal)" and
    click Continue.
    - Click on Upload Files.
    - Click the Browse button to locate the file you wish to upload.
    - Fill in the field File Title and select Type of Evidence from drop down
    menu.
    - Click Attach This File.
    - Once files are attached click on Send Files to PayPal.
    - Send an email from your primary email address confirming the upload of
    documents to complaint-response@paypal.com (please quote the case id)

Here's more information about uploading files and documents to PayPal:

* Give the file a recognisable name.
    * The name should include no more than 3 numbers.
    * You can provide a description of the file you are sending, up to 100
    characters.
    * Information that you upload appears in the Attachments box. You can
    preview the file or delete it from there.
    * You can attach multiple files, up to a total file size of 5000kb,
    using these file formats: gif, jpg, png, or tif.

Alternatively you can fax supporting documentation to PayPal at 00 44 8707
    303 196. Please include a cover sheet with your fax that includes the
    primary email address registered on your PayPal account and the ID number
    of the claim (**************). This will allow us to attach the
    document to the claim as quickly as possible.

Please ensure we receive your fax documentation within the next ten days.
    Your claim will be cancelled if we do not receive your fax documentation
    within this time. We cannot grant extensions to this. Please note that
    PayPal is unable to reimburse you for any costs or fees incurred in
    obtaining the requested documents. Documents you provide may be supplied to
    the seller in your dispute.

We apologise for any inconvenience this request may cause. As an
    internet-based business, we do not have the opportunity to review the
    relevant items and evidence in question. Therefore, we must rely on the
    documents described in our request to continue with the investigation of
    your claim.

Thank you for your patience and co-operation regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Michelle
    PayPal
    Copyright © 1999-2010 PayPal. All rights reserved.
    PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A.
    Société en Commandite par Actions
    Registered Office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
    RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

They are making me jump through hoops!

If I return the item, I'd better do it tomorrow because I have until the 6th to get confirmation of delivery. There is nothing to stop the seller saying the item is damaged though, plus I have to pay for registered post 6euro. I have a strong suspicion that the seller will screw me over again if I send it back. I am furious about this!

Is there any point ringing up my local electrical store and offering them a couple of euro to do up a letter for me? I really don't want to return this item. Any point in making up a letter myself? Too risky? How about a local computer fixit guy? Worth a punt?

Is there any way to get both of my deadlines extended with paypal? The fraud deadline and the return item for refund deadline?

Thanks folks!

Is there any point ringing up my local electrical store and offering them a couple of euro to do up a letter for me? I really don't want to return this item. Any point in making up a letter myself? Too risky? How about a local computer fixit guy? Worth a punt?

No point what so ever. Don't waste your time or money any more. If you don't follow Paypal's instructions, they won't help you at all. You have no choice here but to return it, either that or just walk away and take the hit.
    Is there any way to get both of my deadlines extended with paypal?

Also no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I ordered a kingston 16gb micro sd card with adaptor from a UK seller. 100% feedback etc etc.

I received the item 2 days later (nice). The adaptor was branded, but the micro sd card had no branding. This did not match the photo. I was immediately suspicious and checked the card capacity and found that it had less than 1gb capacity!

The seller sent you a 1GB sd card and you actually paid for a 16GB sd card .

He obviously sent you the wrong item - Why are you trying to prove it is fake ?

I ordered a 16gb Kingston memory card.

I received a (marked as) 16gb unbranded memory card.

After testing, it comes in at around 200mb capacity.

Seller withdrew the listing after payment.

Seller is no longer a registered user of ebay.

Do the math.

The seller sent you a 1GB sd card and you actually paid for a 16GB sd card .

Flashed memory cards and sticks are common place on eBay and other private sale sites. Often you get a 128MB-1GB memory card that reports it has 8-64GB of storage, but as soon as you start to fill it, it all craps out. There are diagnostic programs to determine the actual size, and then you find out you've been had.

Don't buy memory sticks or cards on eBay. Chances are it will be fake, especially if the price is too good to be believed.

I ordered a 16gb Kingston memory card.

I received a (marked as) 16gb unbranded memory card.

After testing, it comes in at around 200mb capacity.

Seller withdrew the listing after payment.

Seller is no longer a registered user of ebay.

Do the math.

The fact that ebay withdrew the listing may not mean that the seller has been selling fakes. Most of the cases where ebay delete listings and users are for copyright infringement - but copyright infringement in those cases mean using copyrighted pictures to advertise your items, without obtaining permission from the copyright owner. As this does not directly mean that the seller is selling fake items, merely that whatever they are selling is using copyrighted images without permission.

I will suggest that the easiest option is to get documentation either from a local electronics store, or, failing that, get the police to confiscate the item (counterfeit trade is illegal), and get documentation from the gardai to prove it. Either of the documentation that I have mentioned above should be valid.

Incidentally, I wouldnt publish the seller's contact details and the transaction ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Well we bought a 32GB flash drive on eBay and had problems with it - got suspicious quickly that we may have been had .

However a quick format of the flash drive , converted it and configured it , and now its been one of the best bargains we have got on eBay .

• Advertisement

I've removed the ID and name from the paypal message.

The whole thing has just taken another turn...

I'll post tomorrow when I have more info.

Advertisement