Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 Xboxes on 1 Router?

• 06-01-2010 3:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi

I live with my friend and we both have an Xbox. Mine is wired to our router (Netgear WGR614 v7 on UPC 8MB) and his is connected wirelessly.

We both have our own XBox Live accounts and we can both connect to them.

However, if we both try to use them online at the same time we get varying results. Sometimes it works perfectly and other times one of us gets disconnected constantly.

Both our Xboxes have IPs in the router settings.

My friend has set up port forwarding on ports 80 and 88 for his IP but I haven't got any port forwarding in place as I understand that it wouldn't work for two IP addresses.

Can anyone shed some light on what we could do to ensure good connections for both of us when online at the same time?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi

I live with my friend and we both have an Xbox. Mine is wired to our router (Netgear WGR614 v7 on UPC 8MB) and his is connected wirelessly.

We both have our own XBox Live accounts and we can both connect to them.

However, if we both try to use them online at the same time we get varying results. Sometimes it works perfectly and other times one of us gets disconnected constantly.

Both our Xboxes have IPs in the router settings.

My friend has set up port forwarding on ports 80 and 88 for his IP but I haven't got any port forwarding in place as I understand that it wouldn't work for two IP addresses.

Can anyone shed some light on what we could do to ensure good connections for both of us when online at the same time?

Thanks!

Why is port 80 forwarded to his IP? Is he running a webserver? Port 80 isn't used by XBL afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

80 is one of the suggested ports for XBL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Ring microsoft in the morning, they'll be able to sort it out for you, or else google it. If you're ringing microsoft make sure you're speak to a fluent english speaker, because these things tend to take a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

You both need to set a different static ip address for your xbox, this can be done in the network settings, set yours to something like 192.168.2.11 on your xbox and his to 192.168.2.12 on his xbox, do a google on this and it should help, you need to put in default gateway settings etc which i cant remember atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Nedved85 wrote: »
    You both need to set a different static ip address for your xbox, this can be done in the network settings, set yours to something like 192.168.2.11 on your xbox and his to 192.168.2.12 on his xbox, do a google on this and it should help, you need to put in default gateway settings etc which i cant remember atm

The problem is the port forwarding on the router can only be set to one of the ip addresses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

My friend and I that lived together had the same situation. We just assigned a static ip address, well he did. I wasn't that good with compluters. That should solve your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

thanks for the replies guys.

We've tried most of the ideas but haven't played enough lately to know if any of them solve the problem completely.

UPC are sending me out a Cisco combined modem router - the 2425 i think.

I'll try just enabling upnp to start with but does anyone have any experience of using 2 xbox with the Cisco?

Or is there anything i can do by using the netgear with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

That Netgear router is on the MS approved for Xbox list ( supports 4 xboxes at once just using uPNP, see here:
    https://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/XboxLive/GetConnected/CompatibleNetworkEquipment/CompatibleNetworkingEquipment.aspx,

They recommend using this firmware v1.0.12_1.0.12NA, you will get this from netgear.

Also make your network settings Automatic on the Xbox and it " should " work perfectly, I set this up last week for a friend that uses Chorus BB and it gave 3 Xboxes open NAT's.

If you still have issues then you could port forward one using this guide http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WGR614v7/Xbox_Live_360.htm, and put the other in the DMZ.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have two Xboxes connected wirelessly to the same router here with no problems. Cannot remember if I did any fancy settings to get the first one setup, but was certainly no special settings required to get the second xbox connected, other than enter the wireless network codes and go.

Advertisement