Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with cigarette fumes from bedroom next door.

Options
  • 06-01-2010 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Next door neighbour smokes quite alot in their bedroom. The fumes are now very strong in our bedroom. Not sure how the fumes are getting through to our bedroom; we have closed the air vent in the room, but no change.

Any suggestions on how to remedy the problem would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

paulgalway wrote: »
    Next door neighbour smokes quite alot in their bedroom. The fumes are now very strong in our bedroom. Not sure how the fumes are getting through to our bedroom; we have closed the air vent in the room, but no change.

:eek: there should be a block wall between you..

cant wait to hear this puzzle solved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

paulgalway wrote: »

If the vent goes into the bedroom of next store and you have just closed it then there will be still smoke getting through you either have to block it fully or the smell won't go away that and I assume you are a non smoker so you can probably smell it all over the room so febreeze every single bit of fabric in the room as they will hold the smell of smoke for ages.
    Also ask the neighbour to close his side of the vent to help prevent the smoke getting in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont think any of the other posters are understanding you correctly or I am not but feel free to correct us.

Your vent is not vented into his house but outside like a normal vent.

Your problem is the same as many in the current situation. I cannot explain the science but as there is barely any wind and due to many factors you know hot air leaves a room cold air comes in. You are drawing in the cooled air outside the house that contains the smoke.

This prob often happens with gas boilers and this is the theory i am baseing it on. I imagine this only happens at certain times.

Believe it or not. opening your window for a while might actually improve the situation as your window is lower than the vent and you dont rely on the airchange coming from the vent.

You could approch your neighbour but I usually find that it does not work. In fact "A mans home is his castle" attitude usually prevails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

joey is right.

but i would think you would have bigger problems if your vent was connected to your neighbours house.

Advertisement