Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged twice on debit card

Options
  • 06-01-2010 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Was in River Island and bought an item for €29. Put it through the machine, entered my pin and then the girl said it didn't go through, so we did it again.

However on my account I've noticed this amount has been put in twice. Who do I contact about this - is it the shop or the bank? Shop presumably, but it's an hour away and I won't be visiting it in the foreseeable future! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Just checked my banking online and a 29.99 transaction I made in PC World last week showed up as a debit twice on my account.

Was just about to post a message myself.
    I only put my card through once though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

hi, are you's bank of ireland? i heard they were having trouble with this and that it takes 5 days for them to put the miney back on your account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

No, I'm with NIB.

I'll wait till the end of the week and contact the bank.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

You simply contact your card issuer and they will do the rest - it may take a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

This happened to me in cinema once. THe bank told me to get onto the cinema first asnd if they didn't assist to contact the bank back. I contacted cinema and they processed the refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Update:

I phoned River Island. After speaking to a rude foreign [Eastern European sounding] lady, who told me to bring in receipt and they would check details and then hung up on me, before I could tell her I won't be able to go to the shop again.

I phoned back [a little miffed at this stage] and got talking to a lovely girl who asked me to check my online balance had directly been lowered, as sometimes the 2 transactions show up but only one amount gets deducted.

I checked, both amounts had been deducted so I phoned back and she was very helpful [although I think they should change their procedure - I don't feel comfortable calling my full laser card number out on the phone :/ ]

She said they will check the details against their own accounts and the money will be refunded within a few days.

Wishes the first lady did it right in the shop, and ensure the transaction only went through once!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I think with Debit Card the retailer has to do the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chocolatepan

The same happened to me with a tesco transaction, the second just disappeared after about a week.
    I also had a similar situation on the friday before xmas with HMV, I used my card to pay for an item costing €150, the girl at the desk told me it declined, tried it again, decline, I couldnt understand why as I had checked balance that morning and had enough, although didnt have twice that amount!
    Rang BOI and they said the first try had gone through and my balance was -€150. Went back to the shop and they told me I would have to prove it with statement but also said they would check their system the next day and contact me. Not suprisingly they didnt call. I contacted BOI a few times over the weekend and got different stories, one said it had definitely gone through, the other said it will most likely 'drop' off the account.
    As it was just before xmas I ended up going back and buying item in cash and speaking to manager who promised a refund if required. It wasnt a nice situation, I could've gone in with cash and came out with my item happy as larry but because of this system error my €150 hung in mid air for a few days. Thankfully on the Weds ( 3 working days) this transaction did just 'drop' off the account. Keep your eye on it, if it doesnt 'drop' contact both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Charged 72.45 in restaurant and then wrote down 15 for the tip. 2 transactions done one for 72.45 and another for 87.45. Will it just drop off after a few days w/o me having to do anything? or will I have to contact the restaurant?

• Advertisement
Advertisement