Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridesmaid needs info about wedding abroad!!

Options
  • 06-01-2010 4:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all, My friend is getting married in Italy this year and I'm her only bridesmaid. She hasn't been very clear about who pays for what. I thought as it's her choice to get married abroad she had to pay for me to travel over but I get the feeling she expects me to pay for flights and accommodation. I also have a 2 year old daughter I'll have to bring and as I'm bridesmaid I'll need to bring someone to travel over with me to mind her while I do my duties.
    Does anyone know what the normal practice is for this kind of situation? I'm a single mother so haven't much money. I need help!!!
    She's the type of girl I can't ask out straight so need advice please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

You will need to ask her.

She should really pay for you - you should not be out of pocket for being her bridesmaid.

However, the fact that she has not told you straight out that she will pay for your flights & accomodation could possibly mean that she is not going to pay for your costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Most of the people I know who got married abroad didn't pay travel expenses for bridesmaids (as they wouldn't in Ireland) but they did pay the usual expenses of dress, hair, makeup, shoes, jewellery etc.

By a similar arguement to "she chose to go away so she should pay" you could say that you accepted the invitation to be bridesmaid so you should pay, you didn't have to say yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cailin00

Thanks Enii and Hunnymonster for the replies. I actually didn't agree to be bridesmaid. I was never asked, She just presumed I would and told me I was. She doesn't have many friends and I couldn't let her down as she feels I should be delighted to have the job. I've tried to get out of it which caused a fight and as I don't want to ruin our friendship I am forced to be her bridesmaid. Guess I'll just have to grin and bear it!
    I'd love some advice if anyone has ever been in a similar situation or knows anyone who has. Thanks

Advertisement