Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II USM Lens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Hopefully the mark 1 version might become cheaper with this new intro

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nonsequitir

I can honestly not see a good reason for the Mark II upgrade. Even with a 4-stop advantage on the IS, is this even important on 2.8? Can the optics really be THAT MUCH sharper?

Can't wait to see the real comparisons because the MkI is a phenomenal piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

possibly it's not an upgrade as such. Maybe it's more of a 'new, improved' version designed to tempt people up from an F4 70-200 ? Certainly if I had the original lens, I wouldn't be upgrading. Lenses are not like bodies in that you have to upgrade everytime a new version comes out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I can honestly not see a good reason for the Mark II upgrade. Even with a 4-stop advantage on the IS, is this even important on 2.8? Can the optics really be THAT MUCH sharper?

Can't wait to see the real comparisons because the MkI is a phenomenal piece of kit.

Well yes and no.

I wouldn't be upgrading myself. But if you're a working photojournalist, some of those advances may be worth it, especially the change in the minimum focusing distance. Shots missed in that profession cost money as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nonsequitir

possibly it's not an upgrade as such. Maybe it's more of a 'new, improved' version designed to tempt people up from an F4 70-200 ? Certainly if I had the original lens, I wouldn't be upgrading. Lenses are not like bodies in that you have to upgrade everytime a new version comes out

That's a great point! That said, spending less money on the MkI gets you a top quality kit anyway, I'd still balk at the though of forking out 2 grand+ for improvements that I can't see justifying that price tag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Nothing to make me upgrade, mark 1 is outstanding in practice

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

Have to agree there.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

my 70-200 has never failed me, it's probably the best built, sharpest lens i've ever used, the last lens i would have thought needed updating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

the price makes nikon look cheap !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Now, if they can do a number on the 50mm 1.4, I'll be well chuffed.

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Now, if they can do a number on the 50mm 1.4, I'll be well chuffed.

What do find wrong with it?

Build quality more than anything else. Autofocus being the other problem I'd have with it. Faster and a lot smoother would be possible, I'd imagine.

The image quality has a few quirks alright, but I don't mind. I just wish it was built sturdier and locked on that bit faster.

Yeah the lock on isn't great but for that price it's hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Doesn't have the hybrid IS, just assumed that would be standard now.
    I wouldn't be upgrading anyway, like others the existing model does me just fine, even if the II is well improved the upgrade loot would go better on other badly needed gear. Hope the rumoured 24-70 II has IS, even if it's not the hybrid jobbie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Ok hit me with a price tag :D:D

democrates wrote: »
    Doesn't have the hybrid IS, just assumed that would be standard now.
    I wouldn't be upgrading anyway, like others the existing model does me just fine, even if the II is well improved the upgrade loot would go better on other badly needed gear. Hope the rumoured 24-70 II has IS, even if it's not the hybrid jobbie.

Jaysis, if the 24-70 had IS, it'd be a very very heavy lens, wouldn't it?

Weight would be my biggest complaint with my 70-200 too, but for when I need it, it does the job just right.
    Yeah the lock on isn't great but for that price it's hard to beat.
    Well... for the price, you're paying for a lens that hasn't been changed since the 80's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Jaysis, if the 24-70 had IS, it'd be a very very heavy lens, wouldn't it?
    Yeah it's a real issue the weight gets me handheld after a while and the shaky arms caused bin jobs with indoor shots which is my main arena these days, been making do with the 85mm lately. Haha, your point has just hit home, it would be hall of fame ironic if the extra weight of the IS on the 24-70 II caused more shake in the end :D

Maybe there's some exercise I can do to sort this arm issue though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Cannot see myself upgrading either, My current 70-200/2.8L IS is my favourite lens, delivers great contrast, colour and sharpness. Never had a problem with it and use it for 90% of my Wedding Shots

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

democrates wrote: »
    Maybe there's some exercise I can do to sort this arm issue though...

_45649811_drinking_pint_pa_226.jpg:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Going for MkI. It seems that the quality of the lense proved itself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement