Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brutal Legend - Your thoughts?

• 06-01-2010 5:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Just finished the game, thought it was an unbelieveable story, ****ing amaxing enviornment and music, but ffs why was it so poorly executed. I'll post my full lashing tomorrow, but before I do what do you guys think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I enjoyed the story and the humour throughout. Thought the voice acting was very well done (and I cant stand Jack Black at all) and the environments beautiful and very detailed, a lot of thought gone into them.

I was dissapointed it was a bit short (beat it in about 10 hours or so), and it doesn't really have much replay value for me as I'm not into cruising around picking up collectibles really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Well I'm just cruising around getting a few achievements atm, but I won't be going for the 100% until I attempt the game in Brutal difficulty. Saves me having to redo it again, although i wouldn't be to bothered if I had to, it was quite an enjoyable campaign to play. I just wish the multiplayer was better, it's far too laggy and very few people play it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Slugs wrote: »
    I just wish the multiplayer was better, it's far too laggy and very few people play it

I've only played the demo, but multiplayer strikes me as something totally unnecessary that was just tacked on to the game.
    Seems to be dropping in price nicely, so I'll be picking it up soon.

You'd actually be surprised how fluid the multiplayer is, when it isn't lagging. They didn't just tack it on, as they gave each army individual traits and each avatar individual solos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I thought the general game experience was very nice and a lot of thought went into it. The RTS-lite type battles i didn't like at all though, could have done without those as far as i'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

f'ing loved this game, best soundtrack on a game since GTA. Spent alot of time just crusing around picking up collectibles and listening to the tunes. Didnt play the multiplayer at all as I'm not into RTS style games. But in saying that the RTS elements where pretty ok in this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Incase anyone cares there is a great 1up podcast/interview with Tim Schafer. Its mid November if anyone is interested in downloading!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/4026068/Brutal-Legend/Product.html
    Currently 24 bucks.
    Might be worth picking up. Can't find it cheaper anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm near the end, I'll probably finish it next time I play. The soundtrack, voice acting and story are great.

The RTS elements kinda grew on me, it's really enjoyable when things come together and you slaughter the enemy. I was having serious difficulty with the fight against
    Ophelia's army
    , then I thought of a strategy and it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

tman wrote: »
    I've only played the demo, but multiplayer strikes me as something totally unnecessary that was just tacked on to the game.
    Seems to be dropping in price nicely, so I'll be picking it up soon.

Apparently it was actuallt built as a multiplayer and the single player element was built around that.

Anyway enjoyed tha game overall but I was unbelievably crap at the RTS elements. I've never played an RTS and judging by my poor performance in the this game I now know why. Didn't win a single stage battle on normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Similar. I hated the RTS battles but loved the rest of it.

I'm quite surprised the price has dropped so sharply, but having said that, many people have given it very mediocre reviews. I think what a lot of people are upset about is how misleading the demo was. Anyone who played the demo was under the impression you were going to be playing a beat em up adventure game. Course as soon as you left the demo region of the actual game, you realised it was an rts. I don't know whether that was a ploy on EA's side (given the fact their other RTS titles don't sell exceptionally well), or a decision for by Double Fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd been playing this in a friend's house on and off and I borrowed it off him a couple of weeks ago. Finished it on Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed it - I'm a big heavy metal fan though and so the subtle and not so subtle tips of the hat to various pieces of Metal Folklore really pleased me :)

RTS side of it isn't badly managed, but isn't perfect. I still think Halo Wars gets the award for best control of an RTS with a gamepad - it's a very difficult thing to get right when you're talking about a medium that essentially demands a mouse and a keyboard. But it is fun to swoop into a big scrap and turn the tide with the power of your axe and Clementine :)

I haven't played any of the multi-player though and might give that a go to see how it pans out. I'm curious to see how the other armies work out.

The Sandbox side of the game however, more or less works for me. They've created a really awesome looking world to drive around. I heard somewhere that the basic direction for the artists was "any scene from any angle has to be suitable as a heavy metal cover album" and I think they more or less nailed it.

If it's as cheap as the others are saying above, it's well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Zombie revival!

Picked this up for €7 in CEX on Liffey Street last week and started it on Saturday.

Loving it so far, just driving around collecting all the items while listening to some great music.

I really liked Tenacious D's album when it first came out, so the inclusion of "The Metal" as a track is great as far as I'm concerned.

The RTS battles can be fun at times, but the story is the main attraction for me.

Although if anybody would like to boost the multiplayer achievements feel free to send me a PM!

Got bored and fed up of this game quicker than possibly any other I have ever played.

Advertisement