Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Broadband supplier in Drogheda?

• 06-01-2010 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I will most likely be moving in a couple of months and am trying to find a decent broadband supplier in the Drogheda area.

I've tried the wireless options, having had both Clearwire (completely god-awful) and Digiweb (phone + bb package where the phone seldom works).

What options are available here? I know UPC doesn't have anything here. Is Magnet availiable? I've only heard bad things about the Vodafone at home, (and would be most likely to be believe them as my mobile service isn't great).

I've heard that eircom is reliable, but tbh its quite costly.

Muchos thanks in advance for yer replies and time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Im with Vodafone (fixed-line) BB in Grangerath, and have had no issues thus far. What will you be using it for? If its just occasional downloads etc, then try mobile broadband from any of the suppliers (most have cooling off periods).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 katetehblue

We would use a fair bit to be honest. We'd be using bittorent for movies and such fairly regularly and the OH will want a decent connection for xbox live and other online gaming. Mobile internet wouldn't really be ideal for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

I'm in Drogheda and have normal DSL connection with UTV. It's advertised as 7.6Mb and usually get about 5.5Mb if downloading movies etc.

I've been with them for a few years and rarely have any problems.

maximus02 wrote: »
    I'm in Drogheda and have normal DSL connection with UTV. It's advertised as 7.6Mb and usually get about 5.5Mb if downloading movies etc.

I've been with them for a few years and rarely have any problems.

How much do you pay for that?

I pay €23.99 pm for 7.6Mb connection. There may be a reduction on that for first 3 months.

I pay additional €5.99 I think for unlimited download, subject to fair usage.

I also have line rental with UTV which is the same price as Eircom charge.

The line rental includes free phone calls to Ireland and UK land lines during evenings and weekends. I think you can also pay an extra €5-6 for calls to Ireland and UK all the time.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

I pay €23.99 pm for 7.6Mb connection. There may be a reduction on that for first 3 months.

I pay additional €5.99 I think for unlimited download, subject to fair usage.

I also have line rental with UTV which is the same price as Eircom charge.

The line rental includes free phone calls to Ireland and UK land lines during evenings and weekends. I think you can also pay an extra €5-6 for calls to Ireland and UK all the time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

But i was just wondering if you could tell me how much do you pay in total? The cost of the line rental etc isn't mentioned on the utv internet site. It says unlimited usage as well, should i assume that means unlimited downloads or that its always on? The website isn't very clear at all and I don't want to make a silly mistake in confusing myself and choosing the wrong isp and be stuck with shoddy service.

In total I pay 23.99 for 7.6Mb broadband + 5.99 for unlimited downloads + 25.47 for line rental which I think makes €55.45.

Call charges during peak time are extra.

The €5.99 is for unlimited downloads. I pay this so I don't have to worry about going over any limits. Without this I think the download limit for UTV is 20 gigs. This is subject to 'fair usage'. I think this means that you can't be downloading file 24/7.

If you google 'UTV fair usage' you should see their statement of fair usage in pdf form as the first entry.

In some months I have downloaded 70, 80 or more gigs and have never had a problem. Other months I have downloaded much less.

Max

Does anyone if Smart or Magnet are availiable in the Drogheda Area?

What are Perlico like?

In total I pay 23.99 for 7.6Mb broadband + 5.99 for unlimited downloads + 25.47 for line rental which I think makes €55.45.

Call charges during peak time are extra.

The €5.99 is for unlimited downloads. I pay this so I don't have to worry about going over any limits. Without this I think the download limit for UTV is 20 gigs. This is subject to 'fair usage'. I think this means that you can't be downloading file 24/7.

If you google 'UTV fair usage' you should see their statement of fair usage in pdf form as the first entry.

In some months I have downloaded 70, 80 or more gigs and have never had a problem. Other months I have downloaded much less.

Max

Thank you, I'll look in to it.

Advertisement